Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I have a problem with a wireless remote control. Sometimes it works and then stops, sometimes it doesn't work. The remote function on the 4 way controller is for IR remote that is on the front of the camera. I am dealing with a remote that has two pieces: a receiver that plugs into the cable release terminal on my K-5 and a transmitter. Is there some setting I need to change to get this configuration to work? Can someone recommend a reliable wireless remote that they use? Thanks.
Unfortunately the K5 manual doesn't list a wireless remote control so you are rather at the mercy of aftermarket providers. In theory it should work the same way as a wired setup, with the receiver plugged into the socket on the side - bottom right. I bought a cheap wired remote as well as an infra-red one and they both work well. Incidentally the IR remote works from the front or back of the camera but has to be setup on the 4-way controller, as you said.

A plug-in remote doesn't need setting up like that. It should work ander any conditions. Mine even works in IR mode so I could use either of my remote shutter switches. Your wireless unit should have come with instructions. I would suspect battery trouble or poor contact with the plug. Whilst pressing & holding the remote switch, try waggling the plug around to see if it fires. You should always have the camera switched off before plugging in or unplugging any device. Let us know your results.

02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #17

Just to clarify - I'm assuming that Bob's 2-piece remote is a radio operated one. "Wireless" is a bit ambiguous as Infra Red is also "wireless". I haven't actually bought one although I'm thinking about it. I've found this info for one currently advertised on Fleabay (Item No.380315844019)

"How to Connect?
1. Switch off the camera.
2. Make sure the receiver and remote control are on the same channel (check the little switch on them).
3. Connect the receiver to your camera's remote control socket.
4. Press the button on the receiver to turn it on (the Power LED should stay red when it is on).
How to Use?
With the shutter button on the remote control, you can do the followings:
Turn on power:
-Turn on the power of camera and receiver
Autofocus:
-Press it halfway to activates autofocus. (Indicated by Green LED)
Release Shutter:
-Press it all the way to release shutter and take pictures. (Indicated by Red LED)
Continuous Drive:
1. Switch the camera to continuous drive mode.
2. Press it all the way to release shutter continuously.
Bulb Mode:
1. Switch the camera to Bulb mode.
2. Press it all the way for 3 seconds until the Red LED on the remote control goes off.
3. The receiver is in bulb mode now. (Indicated by Red LED on the receiver)
4. Press the button again to close the shutter."

Notice what it says about setting the transmitter and receiver onto the same channel? My IR remote cost about £2.69 and the wired one cost £4.45 new! This included post! Must be top quality then? No-one could accuse me of being a tightwad!
02-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Graylion Quote
Just to clarify - I'm assuming that Bob's 2-piece remote is a radio operated one. "Wireless" is a bit ambiguous as Infra Red is also "wireless". I haven't actually bought one although I'm thinking about it. I've found this info for one currently advertised on Fleabay (Item No.380315844019)

"How to Connect?
1. Switch off the camera.
2. Make sure the receiver and remote control are on the same channel (check the little switch on them).
3. Connect the receiver to your camera's remote control socket.
4. Press the button on the receiver to turn it on (the Power LED should stay red when it is on).
How to Use?
With the shutter button on the remote control, you can do the followings:
Turn on power:
-Turn on the power of camera and receiver
Autofocus:
-Press it halfway to activates autofocus. (Indicated by Green LED)
Release Shutter:
-Press it all the way to release shutter and take pictures. (Indicated by Red LED)
Continuous Drive:
1. Switch the camera to continuous drive mode.
2. Press it all the way to release shutter continuously.
Bulb Mode:
1. Switch the camera to Bulb mode.
2. Press it all the way for 3 seconds until the Red LED on the remote control goes off.
3. The receiver is in bulb mode now. (Indicated by Red LED on the receiver)
4. Press the button again to close the shutter."

Notice what it says about setting the transmitter and receiver onto the same channel? My IR remote cost about £2.69 and the wired one cost £4.45 new! This included post! Must be top quality then? No-one could accuse me of being a tightwad!
I replaced the batteries in both the receiver and transmitter. While the LED lights glowed brightly before replacement the unit worked yesterday after replacement. Even after replacement I feel the unit did not function properly with the K-5 in continuous mode. My unit appears to be the same one Graylion is thinking of buying. I may just have a defective unit and will likely look at buying another one in the future after further testing.
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #19

If you've done all that and set the same channel on the transmitter and receiver then, as you say, the unit must be faulty. The only other possible test it to find another Pentax to try it on. It probably doesn't have to be a K5 or K7. I'm sure there must be others with the same kind of mini jack plug socket.

11-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #20

FN button when using K-r

Doesn't function.