Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Is there a trick to using the wireless remote?

I got this wireless remote from amazon: Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K-30, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium Goja Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

It's apparently the same as the Pentax remote for any Pentax camera. But I turned on my camera, inserted the remote battery, pointed it at the camera... and... nothing. Not in bulb mode, not in Av, nothing. I pointed it at the front and back from all angles and couldn't get any sort of reaction. I also have a wired remote, and that triggled correctly, so I'm thinking that this remote is defective.

But I thought I'd ask here first - is there some sort of mode or option you have to activate on the camera in order for it to be receptive to working with signals from an IR remote?

05-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Function / set to wireless remote trigger
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't say what camera you have (unless I missed it) but you have to activate the remote mode.

On my K-5 it's under the 'drive mode' button settings.
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

On some of the models anyway, there will be a blinking LED on the back of the camera to let you know it is activated. You have to point it at the back or the front of the camera -- from the direct side won't work. Check your manual to learn about all the different shooting modes -- straight remote, remote with delay, mirror lock-up w/ remote, bulb mode (there is an option for press-and-hold, or press once to open, and again to close). I think all remote modes disable shake reduction.

05-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As note you have to set the drive mode to remote. This is somewhat different on different models. It would help if you included what camera you are using, we could give you more specific answers.

Also, note that k-5 has IR receptors on front and back k-x only on the front, not sure about the k-r.
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Aha, I should've remembered the drive mode thing, now it works, thanks.

And it's a K5 - I figured that would be assumed from the forum.
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
And it's a K5 - I figured that would be assumed from the forum.
My bad - as they say. I didn't even look at the forum name, just the thread title.

05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's cool, thanks for the help.

Now I'm all ready to take awesome lightning pictures, if only the desert would cooperate.
11-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #9

A bit too late for an answer I guess but where do I find the "Drive mode" on my standard K5? (It's not a Mk.II) I can't find any settings options labelled "Wireless remote". Consequently I can't use the remote.
11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drive mode is on the rear 4-way directional button. Push up and the modes will display. There are several different remote ones including mirror up and 2sec delay. Read the manual to see which one you want to use.
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

Many thanks for taking the trouble. I had posted the question on a seperate thread but found the answer just after posting on this one! I HAD looked in the manual but there wasn't anything in the index about remote control so going through 383 pages wasn't something I was keen to do! I found my answer on Page 88 - as you have responded. Thanks again for taking the time.
11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graylion Quote
I HAD looked in the manual but there wasn't anything in the index about remote control so going through 383 pages wasn't something I was keen to do! I found my answer on Page 88 - as you have responded. Thanks again for taking the time.
For future reference, in the K-5 manual, page 88, and pages 145-146.

Another little tip - download the ,pdf of the manual - then use the "find" function to look for your specific topic. I put "remote" in the find box and found the above in about 5 seconds.

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

You need to scroll to the bottom of the page, and open the "+" next to "Manuals" to get to the .pdf download link.
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #13

Thanks again - as I said in my second post - I found it! DOH!! I am busy collecting all the unwanted Pentax SMC lenses from 35mm cameras, some with auto-aperture, as I can remember how to focus lenses manually :-) . My SMC 50mm f1.4 lens from my old Pentax KX film camera is superb and saves a lot of money (I already had it!) compared with buying a new fully auto DSLR version. I have even found old early AF lenses in a K-fit. They all work brilliantly in my K-5 and, thanks to the Pentax system, they all benefit from in-camera optical stabilisation. I have also bought Pentax AF 35mm cameras which are going for a song (or somgs!) This gives me the versatility of superb quality 35mm film as well as the convenience of digital. Cheers, Lionel

Last edited by Graylion; 11-15-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
02-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a problem with a wireless remote control. Sometimes it works and then stops, sometimes it doesn't work. The remote function on the 4 way controller is for IR remote that is on the front of the camera. I am dealing with a remote that has two pieces: a receiver that plugs into the cable release terminal on my K-5 and a transmitter. Is there some setting I need to change to get this configuration to work? Can someone recommend a reliable wireless remote that they use? Thanks.
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I have a problem with a wireless remote control. Sometimes it works and then stops, sometimes it doesn't work. The remote function on the 4 way controller is for IR remote that is on the front of the camera. I am dealing with a remote that has two pieces: a receiver that plugs into the cable release terminal on my K-5 and a transmitter. Is there some setting I need to change to get this configuration to work? Can someone recommend a reliable wireless remote that they use? Thanks.
Bob you might get a better answer by starting a new thread rather than adding to one that is this old, not everyone will notice an old thread. And if you could tell us the model number of the controller you are trying to use that might help as well. I assume it is a radio type of controller not IR? I know some of the flash triggers have the ability to be used as a remote camera trigger, I think the Cactus v5 does but I have never tried on mine.