Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Nice shots there, I see you are enjoying that new lens. I just came across this thread due to the fact that you just revived it.
After reading it all I was going to make a few suggestions for finding some really good vintage lenses-Pawn Shops!
What I do is I drop my business card off at pawn shops and tell them to call me when they get some old camera items in, I just tell them preferably anything that says Pentax on them, but I really dont stress that too much to them because I dont want them to think I am desparate for a certain brand.
Well for example, I just got a call from a pawn shop that I left my info at over a year ago, and the guy says that he spotted the name Pentax on some of the items in a box of camera parts that he had in the back of his shop. So I came in and looked through the shop, there are many items worth buying but the thing that stood out the most to me was a 50mm SMC A lens attached to a Pentax program plus body!, Ijust played it all down and lowballed him to ten dollars for the whole box, he then turned around and picked up an old antique camera and said if I am interested I can have that for 5 dollars, I said I thought it was a cool looking camera and would just end up putting it on a shelf, so he threw it in for five dollars more. It turns out after doing some research on this old camera that it is a German Zeiss Ikonta compact camera built in 1932! and it is worth anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars! it is completely functional and even still has a leather case.
However I like the old camera so much I am just going to keep it, and maybe even if I can find some rolls of 120 film I might go out and actually use it for fun and nostalgia.
So what I am trying to say is this-put your number and info into all the pawn shops you pass, go to flea markets/swap meets, even places like Craigslist, you never know what you might come across. I have all kinds of odds and ends of lenses and accessories just from doing this and staying vigilant.

Good day,

I must confess I have tried something similar in my city, but to no avail. I wasn' t dropping the business card, I was asking for it. And after three failed attempts to get one, I gave up. The reasons varied from `I did it before, and no calls, so no need` , to `I don' t sell through the telephone or the internet, what I have is what I sell, if you see it today you buy it today` . Another problem is that here in my country (Romania) , Pentax lenses (bodies or what not) are very rare (from private sellers) ; Anything else than the classics Nikon, Canon (mostly) , to Olympus and what not is rare- mostly Pentax. They started just recently to come in (the old ones or other models) , but at a higher price than let' s say... 3- 4 years ago (double the price in some cases; people are taking advantage of the craze) , thus making it inaccessible for me. A lens that sells for 30 euros on ebay plus 20 euros shipping to my country (from Germany) , will sell here for 90- 100 because... nobody knows. I don' t know if they receive how much they are asking, cause I ain' t the one paying for them; but when I tried to chip a few `bucks` , it was to no avail. So yeah, need another way of buying lenses, maybe take trips in countries that sell them as the private sellers do.

Have a nice day!

10-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Good day,

I have a dilemma, that is kind of presented in the title.
First of all, I am a complete novice to photography (just look at my pics) . But I wanted some good ol' lenses.
I gotten my eyes on a Helios 44K-4, and on a Helios 77k-4.
Can I get any help regarding the two? Which is better and why? Or at this price range, could I get a Pentax old Prime (with the same quality) ?
Do this lenses appeal only to macros?

Thank you!
Without any intent of disrespect or mocking of your original request, I am thinking that being a novice in photography it would help you much more to buy a book or two on subject of composition or general theory of visual arts and/or pay a visit or two to your local art gallery and/or spend your time, choose some of your photos that you currently find the best and have them printed really large (A3), framed and hanged on the walls of your house and/or office.
10-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, I just have to add this:

The Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.7 K mount multi-coated lens absolutely smokes every M 50mm 1.7 I have ever owned. And don't get me wrong - the Pentax-M is a great lens, which I have loved. But the sharpness and color on the Chinon are simply incredible.

It's harder to find, but since its so unknown, you can often pick it up for even cheaper than you would the M.

I've heard accounts linking the lens design to both Tomioka and Alpa, so if you can find one, drop the 50 bucks without any hesitation. You won't be sorry. I own 2 myself and would never sell either.
Good day,

Right now, I' m struggling to get a 35-70mm from ebay because guess what, nobody would ship in my country; nobody at decent prices. So yeah, have to love it. Still good dough. I' m going to look into that lens you recommended me.

Thank you!
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #34

Original Poster
Good day!

OK, so who has a F 35-70mm in Europe and ships to my country?! Name your price! I can' t seem to get a decent price on this puppy!

Thank you!