Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cracked lcd

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Last night I was trying to take handheld shots of the moon with my bigma and the camera felt like it had a momentary adjustment and when i looked at it later the lcd had a crack going diagonally across the square...i know the bigma puts stress on the camera but i thought i was properly supporting the camera...has anyone else experienced this? the camera is still under warranty but i wonder if pentax will try to tell me i did something to it...thanks, amy

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 

Last edited by pearsaab; 06-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.
06-05-2012, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only LCD I have cracked is on an old pentax 2 MP P&S when I dropped another camera on the back of the P&S with the corner of the falling camera hitting the center of the LCD.

I do not treat any of my kit with kid gloves, and routinely carry and hold by the body only a sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x TC which weighs about 1.6 kilos. Never had an issue.

the only thing I can figure is somehow, you had your thumb across the back of the LCD but this would almost certainly imply either using a grip, and / or holding the camera left handed because I can't get my thumb on the LCD when holding the camera on it's own with my right hand.

Also are you sure of the time it broke. clearly you are certain of the time it was noticed, but that might not be the same.

as for warranty, you have nothing to loose, it is broken, if they say ok we'll fix it good, if not you would need to determine if you need to. Note the most important issue is WR,.
06-05-2012, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With big lenses you should ONLY support the lens. If you also support the body you get two "up" forces, and the combined weight of cam+lens pulling down between them. The result is usually a broken mount, but other things can happen depending on body integrity and design.
06-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
the camera is still under warranty but i wonder if pentax will try to tell me i did something to it...
they most likely will. Hopefully only the glass is cracked, and the crystals didn't leak or something. I also hope they won't charge too high for replacing the broken glass...

06-05-2012, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i will keep you all posted but i am confident the camera was fine before i took it outside to take the pictures...i didn't handle it any different than any other time but i did feel it do something which i really can't describe...i will contact pentax now...wish me luck
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i added an image if you want to see it
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I see the image. Are you sure the LCD itself is cracked? It might only be the GGS protector that's cracked.

Either way, good luck with the fix! I'm positive things will turn out well.

06-05-2012, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm...that looks like the screen protector is cracked and not the LCD.
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Duh... its your glass GGS protector that is cracked, not your LCD screen.
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

My guess, too: It is only the glass protector.
I have had two GCS glass protectors crack on my K5.
They showed cracks similar to yours.
I could not tell you why mine cracked. I have the feeling that these GCS protectors are very sensitive to SIDEWAY stress (shearing?).

Be careful when peeling it off. It is layered GLASS and can have some sharp splinters that might hurt you or scratch the (unprotected camera) screen.

My recommendation:
+ If this happens in the field, put (duck) tape on the edges to prevent cutting yourself.

+ To get it off, peel VERY SLOWLY from the top right corner lifting it only slightly.
- Do NOT OVERBEND, as it might crack even more

Anyway, do not worry these are protectors and quite likely yours did what it is suppose to do.

BTW: I do not use glass based protectors anymore because of the dangerous splinters.

Last edited by jephi; 06-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
06-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i packed it up last night and saw your messages this morning and i think you may be right...i am going to look at it this afternoon when i get home but if you are right you have made me so happy...thanks so much for all your help!!! i will get back to you...amy
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Forum Member

so the ggs d3000 protector fits on k5
does the black frame of the protector cover up the 4 sides of the screen?
i couldn't find ggs screen for k5 near where i live
06-06-2012, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #13

I bought one for the K5 which, when delivered was just a standard 3" screen, BUT for the reasons that the originator of this post seems to have found with the broken screen protector, I decided that fitting one of these glass screen protectors just wasn't worth the risk.

The whole reason for fitting a screen protector is to protect the screen, BUT when it breaks as they seem to do, you risk damaging the very screen you wanted to protect.

I opted for a Vikuiti™ screen protector ADQC27 for the Pentax K5, which is Crystal-clear, anti-reflective,Hard-coated' Dirt-repellent, simple to apply, residue-free removal & bubble free - most importantly - it DOESN'T break.

url: Protectionfilms24.com | Vikuiti? screen protector ADQC27 for Pentax K5, K-5

As you can see from the attached image, it completely covers the LCD Screen without covering up the Pentax Logo; a second protector is also provided for the top LCD.

Image taken with Pentax K10 @ 75mm, ISO1000, f6.3, 1/13S - handheld
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by WightWalker; 06-07-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Add image
06-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so the ggs d3000 protector fits on k5
does the black frame of the protector cover up the 4 sides of the screen?
i couldn't find ggs screen for k5 near where i live

i am not aware that there is a screen protector for the K5...i have tried others but found this to be the best fit...as you can see in the picture i think it covers pretty well and next one i put on i will try to see if i can get it so it covers all...i have also used the plastic covers but don't feel they work as well in regard to coverage
06-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
I bought one for the K5 which, when delivered was just a standard 3" screen, BUT for the reasons that the originator of this post seems to have found with his broken screen protector, I decided that fitting one of these glass screen protectors just wasn't worth the risk.

The whole reason for fitting a screen protector is to protect the screen, BUT when it breaks as they seem to do, you risk damaging the very screen you wanted to protect.

I opted for a Vikuiti™ screen protector ADQC27 for the Pentax K5, which is Crystal-clear, anti-reflective,Hard-coated' Dirt-repellent, simple to apply, residue-free removal & bubble free - most importantly - it DOESN'T break.

url: Protectionfilms24.com | Vikuiti? screen protector ADQC27 for Pentax K5, K-5
I will be looking to order one of those! Thanks for the info.
I wonder if this is available in North America ... I'll Google that.

JP

EDIT: I found it at Amazon.ca and ordered a couple! Thanks again for the tip.

Last edited by jpzk; 06-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.