Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have no problem taking "fast action" shots with either my K7 or K5 with a fast lens such as the Tamron 70-200/2.8, for instance.
Granted there might be better AF systems out there but the K5 is capable of rather serious shooting if you know how to handle it!

I assume you have tested the K5 vs. these other cameras?

JP
It doesn't have to be true, as long as it feels true.

QuoteQuote:
truthiness |ˈtro͞oTHēnis| noun
the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true.

06-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The K5 is close to the end of its life cycle. Canon is pumping out new models replacing even the mid range cameras. There will be more Canon cameras with even better high ISO performance, there will be a better Pentax option. This is not the best time for switching horses. Canon and Nikon both presented updates of their moderate primes lenses - or are about to do so. This was Pentax land for the last 5-10 years - compact, high-quality glass. Canon/Nikon zooms perform in a different league if you consider the high performance lenses like the 2.8/70-200 class for sports - Pentax has no match. The K5 can be used for taking great spots images, but you have a camera and I would not say that the capabilities of the K5 really outperform any other 35 mm system for sports photography - beisdes Leica M maybe.

The ISO 5000 image above was not made under dark conditions! There is quite a difference working in low light or using high ISO for speed.
06-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
Ron....nothing is for sale yet. I am in the research phase right now. Haven't come to any decision, just trying to gather as much info as I can. I have mentioned to some friends that I am "looking" at other systems and they are interested in my canon if I do, so I'm not really concerned with finding a buyer. I have used the monopod and during the day, I have no problem. Just when darkness falls and the lights come on is when I struggle. I am in no way any type of "professional" and can't really justify spending the money to go to the next level of Canon equipment. I guess what really interested me in Pentax is the high iso, in body IS, and weather resistance that is offered at a more "reasonable" price...for me anyway. So I figured I wold come on here and talk to some Pentax people and get some info. Thanks to everybody for the input.
06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dtusk Quote
the 200mm F2.8L is a great lens but I guess I am getting to the age that I am going to need IS or a camera with better results at high ISO. I am sure that the higher end Canon equipment can do the job, but I just can't afford the jump
I think you really need a function, performance and price comparison first between ...
1) 50D + owned lens
2) K-5 + intended lens.
3) Current Canon camera + owned lens
4) Any possible new Canon camera + owned lens

Besides, what of Canon attract you into its camp? I think this is the most importance.

I pick K-5 for Pentax color, high ISO with low noise and well building. I have taken several shots with Canon Mark3 and felt its AF is much much faster. But I still love my K-5 and Pentax and so my first consideration of future upgrade is of course Pentax.

06-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The ISO 5000 image above was not made under dark conditions! There is quite a difference working in low light or using high ISO for speed.
Maybe right, but low light and sports is different to look at, since you need a certain speed to somehow freeze action or to do panning. These are sports and not flowers.
06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #21

Original Poster
Skwan...you know I have the 50D..lenses are 200mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8L macro with IS and 50mm 1.4 (not an L lens) I have actually gotten some really great action shots with the macro lens even though it is not a "sports" lens. but remember, we are talking about 8-12 grade football, so the action isn't exactly blazing fast. During daylight hours, the 200mm lens is fantastic, but there are many times I want that focus length under the lights and without IS even with a monopod it is tough for me. I have considered the 7D but from what I have read the high iso isn't really that good. Maybe I am just reading bad info, I don't know. The 5D3 will do the job based on what I have read, but is way out of sight on price for me. For the price of a K-5 and DA*200 plus one more lens....and selling the Canon gear...price is not an issue. Just trying to figure if the K-5 will give me what I need with stabilization and weather resistance.
06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
Forum Member

As I was you, for sports in low/dim light, I will pick 7D for AF; for sports in medium light, I will pick K5 for better high ISO performance.

For comparison between 7D and K5, you can read below.
Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

7D photos in high ISO of 3200 for your reference.
http://static.dcfever.com/media/sharing/12/06/03/2950971338653346_l.jpg
http://static.dcfever.com/media/sharing/12/05/27/3107931338098099_l.jpg

K5 photos in ISO of 3200, 4500, 3200 respectively
http://static.dcfever.com/media/sharing/12/04/29/2840031335711300_l.jpg
http://static.dcfever.com/media/sharing/12/05/07/2840031336398070_l.jpg
http://static.dcfever.com/media/sharing/12/04/17/2840031334676213_l.jpg

06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
As mentioned the DA*300mm set at f4 supported with a monopod. So I guess your canonstuff is already for sale But to be honest, these images are not always easy to make.
That's the problem with these thread. I take 20 shots , I throw out 15 and keep 3 on those three I probably spend at least 20 minutes each on PP, sometimes more. . Someone asks about the lens and I post the best one. Then they say "wow, I'm going to buy it", and i think "OMG, what have I done?"
06-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #24

Original Poster
Don't worry normhead I'm not buying anything yet....gathering as much info as possible is all.
06-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's the problem with these thread. I take 20 shots , I throw out 15 and keep 3 on those three I probably spend at least 20 minutes each on PP, sometimes more. .
Actually, if I were you, I'd pitched the remaining three, as well. Time spent fine tuning technique and work flow is worth the effort. If an image requires more than 3-5 minutes post from RAW, then it's a delete to me.

...my 2 cents...
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Actually, if I were you, I'd pitched the remaining three, as well. Time spent fine tuning technique and work flow is worth the effort. If an image requires more than 3-5 minutes post from RAW, then it's a delete to me.

...my 2 cents...
I only can assume the only 2 currently displayed images in your gallery did not indeed require more than 5 min PP :P and those are the only left of all your pictures

Nice blog btw.
06-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

...my 2 cents...
Well, that's your 2 cents. Mine is that if someone cares enough to spend more than 3-5 minutes in post, it is likely because the image is worth taking from "good" to "great." I recently met one of the best landscape photographers in this country, who is also adamant about "getting it right in the camera" - for this he uses ND grads, warming polarizers, tilt-shift lenses and an insane amount of patience. But he also shoots in raw, of course.

He then spends more than 20 minutes in post work on every image. Perhaps it's because, to him, the "requirement" is that they look exactly how he wants them to. Nothing to do with technique or work flow...

To the OP, sorry for contributing to the "topic creep."
06-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

...my 2 cents...
I can contrast the work Richard Avedon, recognized by many as one of the finest photographers on the 21st century a few times championed as the best, who did as many as 60 corrections on a single image, on 8 x 10 film, and some guy on the internet who never post processes 3-5 minutes.

I personally don't understand the philosophy. To me it seems like saying camera makers are so good they have developed the algorithms to exactly anticipate my desires for white balance, the emphasis on various tonal ranges etc. in every shot and I don't need to adjust them. I just have to figure out how to make the camera do what I want. I'd rather work with the camera than PP. Fair enough. Most people don't work that way, and many , myself included would argue you are really limiting your self thinking that way. As Panoguy pointed out. You need to get the most out of your camera. But you also need to get the most our of post processing. Those recognized as greats in photography have usually been good at both. And those who don't say like Andy Warhol, are usually very style conscious and are interpreters of society more than photographers.

But if you care to explain it further, because you think I've missed something... I'll give it a listen.

Also apologies to the OP.

Maybe if we really want to go further down this road we need to start a new thread.
06-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #29

Original Poster
Folks...I really did not want to start any kind of big huge debate or anything. I simply read some good things about the K-5 and figured this was a good place to ask for information pertaining to that particular camera and lenses. In the fall I will be doing a lot of under the lights football pix and although that will only be a small amount of my total photography it will be a very important part. I know that Canon makes products that will help me in that area, but the price is just way too much. since I read that K-5 may be better for that application than what I have I started to do some research and landed here. I do like what I see with Pentax. Problem is no one of my friends use Pentax so I have no one else to ask for their opinions. Who knows....I may find that I am way off base but I don't see any harm in doing some research and getting some opinions. So thanks to everyone for the input and no need for anyone to apologize for anything. The more I can learn here about anything, the better. So keep the comments coming. Thanks.
06-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

alternative

What about the new K-30, which is supposed to be faster AF + a zoom lens like Sigma 120-400mm w/HSM (Amazon comments are an interesting read)? Still cheaper than Canon, just about as good ISO as K-5. Plus, the zoom is a full-frame lens on a crop sensor camera, should perform very nicely. Just a thought. I am weighing possibilities also with the K-5, or not......

Last edited by goldenarrow; 06-09-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: text added.