Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

SMC-M 50mm 1,7

Hello everybody, I am delucky owner of a K-5 and I have also a SMC-M 50mm 1,7 lens witch Ilove the only problem is that I have to unlock by +- 10 degrees thelens to have my focus working isn t there an other way to have thefocus ring working,

Thanks for advising me

06-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean that you have to dismount the lens in order to get it to focus? That doesn't make sense- could you please elaborate?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
If I put the lens on, thefocus opens on maximum or 1,7, I can turn the focus ring but it staysom 1,7 full open, so if I want to go smaller I have to unlock thelens by +- 10 degrees and than it works, I can choose all the other Fstops,
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by FredWell Quote
If I put the lens on, thefocus opens on maximum or 1,7, I can turn the focus ring but it staysom 1,7 full open, so if I want to go smaller I have to unlock thelens by +- 10 degrees and than it works, I can choose all the other Fstops,
You need to use it in M mode, or it will be stuck wide open. In M, you can meter and then adjust the shutter speed as desired. It will remain open while you're looking through and focusing, but the aperture will close down when you take a shot.

----- edit ----
WHen you're saying the focus ring opens on maximum of 1,7, i'm assuming you mean the aperture blades are staying wide open. If this is the case, than my advice above remains - you need to use M mode. If there is an issue with the focus ring on the far end of the lens when mounted, which doesn't seem to make sense, then I have no idea what the issue could be and I apologize for confusing the issue further.

If I'm correct in assuming you mean the aperture ring, then this should help guide you.

Last edited by pezmaker; 06-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes Yes Yes !!! for the first time I took a look inthe lens (the front) and Yes it focuses thank You happy happy PentaxK-5 is a love story,
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

these links will probably help you a bit Fred if you are going to use older manual lenses (the M 50 1.7 is a great start BTW)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/49283-useful-pe...ces-about.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...ml#post1987030

and an all purpose loads of links one that answers almost every question know to mankind

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/49283-useful-pe...ces-about.html

Have fun with the new lens