Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus spot selection on K5

My K5 had been serviced, updated with the newest firmware, with one minor issue:

The AF selection points won't work properly on AF lenses.
What I have to do is switching back/forward center point selection and multiple points selection switch, and turn on/off Liveview to be able to select another focus point with the arrows buttons.

Did you have the similar problem?

06-15-2012, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Please confirm, simply staying in SEL mode and pressing OK button doesn't help? OK button switches between selecting AF point and using arrows for other functions (WB etc).
06-15-2012, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

If it's like my K-r, you have to press and hold the OK button for a full second to switch between normal directional controls and AF point select.
06-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
If it's like my K-r, you have to press and hold the OK button for a full second to switch between normal directional controls and AF point select.
yes, it is like that on the K-5

06-15-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You have to press OK until the four arrows appear on the screen before you can do AF point selection...
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Vanyagor, Philoslothical and Aleonx3.

Normally the K5 does not need to press OK (center button). OK button will reset the focus point back to the center point.
but based on your inputs, I retest the issue and found the following:

You need at least one AF lens and one manual focus lens. Here's my procedure to reproduce the issue:

- Turn off the K5, set the focus selection switch to SEL (3 possible positions: center point, SEL and AUTO)
- Attach a manual lens on the K5, turn on power. If you have SR on, input the focal length as normal.
- Hit the left arrow button once (label WB). Since a MF lens is attaching, the camera ignore AF point selection switch (always center point) and enter the WB menu.
- Hit Ok once to get out of the WB menu. Similar with other menus as firmware assigned to other arrow buttons (shutter [up], shooting style [right], flash [down]). So far all ok for manual lenses.

- Turn off the K5, change lens to any AF lens - I have used FA50, FA35, Sigma, Tamron, DA*. Focus point selection still at SEL position.
- Turn on the K5. No focal input. Camera understand it has an AF lens on it. Now hit the left button (label WB), what does your K5 show?

My K5 is always react as it has a MF lens on it.
Until I turn Liveview on and off OR I hit the OK button as you suggest.

It seems like the K5 not updated what lens it is attaching on, even power off and on again.
As I change lenses relatively often, and using the K5 alot, this is an extra step I need to remember to save 5-7 seconds in critical situations.

I am ok for now, but it should report back as bug in the latest firmware.
I can't recall this behavior in other older firmware nor in my K20.

Thanks.
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It seems like I've had similar weirdness when doing switching from AF to manual lens (often m42) and back, but holding down OK does the trick.

06-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Ive only used AF lenses and I often have to press/hold OK to toggle the 4way between direct key operation and AF selection. Seems normal, and there several indicators to...indicate which mode the arrow buttons will be in.

Last edited by jmg257; 06-15-2012 at 08:09 PM.
06-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Thanks Vanyagor, Philoslothical and Aleonx3.

Normally the K5 does not need to press OK (center button). OK button will reset the focus point back to the center point.
but based on your inputs, I retest the issue and found the following:

You need at least one AF lens and one manual focus lens. Here's my procedure to reproduce the issue:

- Turn off the K5, set the focus selection switch to SEL (3 possible positions: center point, SEL and AUTO)
- Attach a manual lens on the K5, turn on power. If you have SR on, input the focal length as normal.
- Hit the left arrow button once (label WB). Since a MF lens is attaching, the camera ignore AF point selection switch (always center point) and enter the WB menu.
- Hit Ok once to get out of the WB menu. Similar with other menus as firmware assigned to other arrow buttons (shutter [up], shooting style [right], flash [down]). So far all ok for manual lenses.

- Turn off the K5, change lens to any AF lens - I have used FA50, FA35, Sigma, Tamron, DA*. Focus point selection still at SEL position.
- Turn on the K5. No focal input. Camera understand it has an AF lens on it. Now hit the left button (label WB), what does your K5 show?

My K5 is always react as it has a MF lens on it.
Until I turn Liveview on and off OR I hit the OK button as you suggest.

It seems like the K5 not updated what lens it is attaching on, even power off and on again.
As I change lenses relatively often, and using the K5 alot, this is an extra step I need to remember to save 5-7 seconds in critical situations.

I am ok for now, but it should report back as bug in the latest firmware.
I can't recall this behavior in other older firmware nor in my K20.

Thanks.
Just tested it. After using an M42 MF lens and then attaching an AF one, I have to press the OK button to return to focus selector in SEL mode. If I do not switch lenses and stay with my AF lens, the setting is stable in respect to changing modes/turning the camera off and on. Only when I attach a MF lens is the setting "cleared"
06-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well after reading all that it is true K7 behaviours a bit differently than K5.
K5 is a bit more clever ( it does not look like a bug) , it remembers your last setting, plus a brief press on OK button will rest focus point to the middle, K7 will not do it and it always starts up in select AF point mode.
So, just make sure that K5 before switching it off is left on SEL AF mode.
there might be some other variables which I am not aware about, just give it a go and report back please
kind regards
jack
06-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do expect the k5 when turn on, it understands there is a FA lens attaching, and when i set to SEL mode, the arrow keys should behave in SEL mode.
I also wish that K5 can give focus confirm in other points than the center point when using MF lenses.

As i mentioned, i am ok with this behavior, but a bit annoying and unlogical.
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I do expect the k5 when turn on, it understands there is a FA lens attaching, and when i set to SEL mode, the arrow keys should behave in SEL mode.
I personally would find that confusing; I'd rather have it startup to the same functionality of the controls every time regardless of the lens used so I know what the controls do by default. But I have easy talking as I only occasionally use SEL.