Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

Lens release button replacement

Called Pentax customer support 1-720-988-2653 and reported my problem of the lens change button having fallen off. They were kind enough to send me the replacement button plunger and the silicon supporting cone FREE of cost including free shipping.
Kudos and THANKS to PENTAX Corporation, USA for supporting loyal customers.

06-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That's good news, in my opinion. When my button fell off I had to send it in for a few weeks. I'd much rather get a replacement button and do it myself.
06-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

How hard was the repair?
06-17-2012, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
How hard was the repair?
Very easy. Insert the black button (pentax calls it plunger) into the silicon cone (which I call weather gasket)hole with the broad base of the cone facing downwards. Smear bottom edge rim of cone with super glue. Insert black button stem till it touches bottom and makes contact with top of spring.ie. resting on top of release spring inside and hold for 1 minute. Do not push hard the button as it only pushes the spring down inside the mounting. Let glue dry and it is ready for use.

06-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I challenge the next person this happens to to make a pictorial or video of the repair.
Hopefully it is not me but if it is I will make an instructional.
Would be very helpful.
06-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So, is this the new DIY solution proposed by PENTAX?
If it's a quick fix then it makes perfect sense rather than having to send the whole camera in for "repair".
06-18-2012, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I challenge the next person this happens to to make a pictorial or video of the repair.
Hopefully it is not me but if it is I will make an instructional.
Would be very helpful.

I will be calling Pentax today. When I do the repair I will take a few photos.

07-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Forum Member

That seems too simple...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunder Quote
Very easy. Insert the black button (pentax calls it plunger) into the silicon cone (which I call weather gasket)hole with the broad base of the cone facing downwards. Smear bottom edge rim of cone with super glue. Insert black button stem till it touches bottom and makes contact with top of spring.ie. resting on top of release spring inside and hold for 1 minute. Do not push hard the button as it only pushes the spring down inside the mounting. Let glue dry and it is ready for use.
So you basically affix the silicon cone and not the pole of the button back onto the camera? I have both my buttons, and I was afraid super glue may leak down the travel path of the spring that must be depressed. hmmm, seems like a simple pin or fastener wore off and released the buttone. does anyone have a diagram of what the original assembly is supposed to look like??

Mark
07-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
So you basically affix the silicon cone and not the pole of the button back onto the camera? I have both my buttons, and I was afraid super glue may leak down the travel path of the spring that must be depressed. hmmm, seems like a simple pin or fastener wore off and released the buttone. does anyone have a diagram of what the original assembly is supposed to look like??

Mark
If you place a very small dot of glue on the tip and wait 5 seconds it won't leak. If you're concerned about the amount, you can practice by applying the glue and pressing it against an ice-cream container lid(super glue doesn't stick to this material) and see how much the tip can hold before squishing off.

PS. you can clean off the glue using finger nail polish remover when you're done.

Hope this helps.
05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote

Mark
Mark,

This may be too late for your needs. But I recently encountered the same failure with my lens release button coming off my K5. For those who may encounter the failure, here is a posting I did showing the Lens release button (a.k.a. Mount Lock Button) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/199351-lens-release-button-lost-3.html and I posted the illustration and diagram from a K7 camera showing what the mount lock button and the rest of the parts looks like, needed to hold the button in place. I lost my circlip or retainer ring and the button won't stay in place now.

Mjkwee
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got bit by that same thing but less than 4 minutes on the phone with a very cheerful and helpful young lady at the above Pentax Support phone number has a no-cost replacement en route.

I'm a little disappointed that the K5 body seems prone to this particular glitch but very pleased with my first encounter with Customer Support in 40+ years of Pentax camera use.

H2
09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Forum Member

The lens release button on my K-5 disappeared yesterday. I got on chat with the Ricoh Customer Support. They said I would probably have to send it in to get the whole lens release system replaced. I mentioned that several users on various forums said that Pentax just sent them out a replacement button. So the person on the other end gave me the number for Parts Department (3037280359). I talked to a helpful lady and she said the buttons were just ordered yesterday and it would take 2 weeks for them to get in. I asked how much it would cost, and she said 79 cents, then she said she would just send it to me for free, even though they normally charge $8 for shipping, but on a 79 cent part, she ain't gonna charge that. I guess I can live with using a toothpick for two weeks. But, I'm thankful for helpful support from Pentax.
09-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Pentax should just recall that button and get it replaced ( or send "replacement kit") for all registered owners of K-5. They're damaging their reputation for measly 79 cents ? What a shame !
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

frustrating that some folks are able to get the part and others are being told they must send the camera back in for replacement. I tried a couple of times and was told there was no way I could obtain just the part...grrrr. As such, I have a mocked up button secured with tape on my K5.
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
frustrating that some folks are able to get the part and others are being told they must send the camera back in for replacement. I tried a couple of times and was told there was no way I could obtain just the part...grrrr. As such, I have a mocked up button secured with tape on my K5.
Mike, I never sent any camera for warranty repair. Who pays shipping ? The whole situation with that feral button is becoming ridiculous. If mine falls off, I'm going to sell my K-5 for cheap and buy more PK mount and NX mount lenses for my Sammy NX1000 ( I have a PK-NX adapter and to be honest, I noticed using Pentax lenses on Sammy body increasingly often...)