Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Should I regret??

I started my hobby with Pentax K-x and just placed the order for a Pentax K-5 and DA 18-135mm WR lens (When the price was still low), original grip etc. With the news that the Pentax lens price has shot up and reading through the comments about people wanting to jump off Pentax boat. Not sure whether I made the right choice and whether I should be regretting for making the upgrade.

I really love Pentax but reading the comments from Pentax veterans on the price increase is making me think otherwise.

Any words of encouragement?

-iamarunr
(The K-5 package will be at my door step tomorrow)

06-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You already bought the camera so do not second guess the decision. There are other good lenses besides Pentax. Also, there should be a lot of used lenses if people leave.
06-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You really love Pentax. You answered your own question.
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if by tomorrow your camera arrives broken, then you might have reason to regret. otherwise, the k-5 isn't simply an amazing camera, its an amazing experience. it handles just right and the files are simply gorgeous.

06-21-2012, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #5

The more you research the more you'll justify whatever thought you have in your head. Get off the Internet and go take pictures. You won't regret your purchase if you do that. The K5 is a great camera. Get out of the house and go do it!
06-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have no reason to regret... there is no camera like the k-5 out there that is suitable for my needs... the ergonomics, the sensor size (hence file size), the features (TAv, multiple exposures, in camera HDR, two dials and WR). Enjoy your new toy and focus on your technique rather than worrying about the camera/lens. There is always a new model coming up no matter what happens. If the lens price goes up, that may be a good thing... I have the same combo... beats Canikon equivalents hands down... 18-135mm is tack sharp even wide open. If you can't take good shots with this combo, it is likely your fault, not the camera/lens
06-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
The more you research the more you'll justify whatever thought you have in your head. Get off the Internet and go take pictures. You won't regret your purchase if you do that. The K5 is a great camera. Get out of the house and go do it!
And let us see the results.

06-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My words of wisdom is that you made the right choice in my opinion.I thought about switching to another brand,especially when my mate whips out his Canon, and on how smooth it functions compared to my slow,unsmooth K100D.Then came along my K5 a few weeks back.And 'WOW'.The decision to stick with the brand you know in Pentax was the right one for me.I couldn't be more happier.And I'm sure you will feel the same when it arrives on your door step and you open the box and start to use it.Just don't forget to charge the battery up first before you do that.
06-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

I don't let opinions of others in this or other forum decide wether to keep or sell my gear or any other items.
I usually use my gear extensively to its maximum tolerance and capacity. If it does not meet my specifications, i will sell it.
Nobody is happy about price increase of anything- petrol, electricity, bank fees or camera lenses....
Why let others' opinions kill the joy even before you receive your K5, which may fit your photography needs perfectly.

Enjoy!
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

all my pentax gear were bought second hand........
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the K-5 now(after upgrading from the K-x) and it is an excellent piece of equipment, I am going to get the same lens you have and a battery grip in the next month no matter the price. I believe if I need the equipment then I am going to get it regardless of what others in here might say. I do however read the reviews and even though some of the reviews I have read on the 18~135mm lens were unfavorable I just dont take them to heart. I am going on vacation and I need a good "all around" "walk about" lens that will basically make my camera equipment kept to a minimum while on vacation and this one fits the bill. I really dont want to worry about juggling a mess of different lenses or worrying whether someone will steal my equipment because I turned my back on my bag, so I am basically going to be carrying just one camera with one lens and battery grip on me, and just basically be enjoying myself on my vacation, all the while having a reliable combination of photographic equipment with me at all times that is even water resistant as well.
I will be building up my prime lenses for my future business ventures but right now I am just enjoying it as it is.
No matter what system you buy into, you will come on to any forum and after about five minutes you will find yourself kicking yourself because you are going to think you got the wrong piece of equipment, camera, lens, ect...
Please do yourself a favor and dont do that, instead get out there and enjoy the equipment you have, ya I moved up from the K-x but I still have it around and even though my wife has inherited it, I still find myself picking it up and using it, it is an awesome camera and has some advantages over the K-5 such as simplicity, size, and fun factor.
Now.....get out there and make some memories with that very capable chunk of camera and lens and post them in here for all of us to drool over.
06-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

I don't think you will be sorry. I have the DA 18-135 as my walk around lens and it produces very nice images for a lens so compact and light. The K-5 is a superb camera body and unless you have some of the well documented issues (of which I have none) you will never regret buying one. It has superior design, feel and performance over any other similarly priced camera body, even so late in its life cycle.

The lens price hike is a real disappointment to me personally. Before the price jump I bought a DA* 16-50 and a DA* 50-135 and I absolutely love them both. I had a budding case of LBA and the crazy increases in price threw a bucket of cold water on that problem -- I have not bought a single lens since the huge increases hit. Luckily I have a minimum set of lenses that serve me well for now. What happens in the future for me depends on how the lens prices settle out. Some lenses have come back to almost pre-gouge prices, but it has made me take a wait and see attitude on accumulating a more complete set of Pentax lenses. If the prices remain at the current levels I will have to at least consider another brand. The lens price advantage that Pentax once had when buying online made it a very attractive system. At the full retail cost I might very well defect to the Nikcanon camp one of these days. IMO they both offer superior lenses if you have to pay full retail for Pentax ones. As newly introduced Nikon lenses have become more affordable, the Pentax lenses have in some case doubled in price, making them no longer a good value.
06-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
You all have no idea how much I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thanks so much for taking time to reply this post. Your words gave me more than the required encouragement.

I was at work and since it was a Signature Required package I had to go to UPS office to pick it up. I have the box sitting in front of me right now but I got two trail marathons, one on Sat and one on Sun. If I open the box, it would be tough to put it down. Just got about three hours to catch some sleep and a 3 hour drive to the race. I promise to post the pics by Sun night.

Thanks for restoring my faith in Pentax . Petaxians are awesome.
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

open it and charge the batteries at least, since that should take a while
06-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K5 and DA18-135WR is a good combination. I have the exact same combo as well as the DA*16-50/2.8 but the 18-135 is not on the K5 most of the time.

Enjoy the camera!!