Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I really like the K1000 body as well. Perhaps there is some nostalgia there because it was the first SLR I ever shot (high school photography class). I think you could back a dump truck over it and it would probably still work...well maybe not. Anyways, the thing is solid and built like a tank.

I haven't used enough cameras to really give a verdict, but I like the K-5 a lot.
Same here for the HS photo class ... a great tool to learn with. Need the slight intervention on my lastest copy and a roll of B&W ... fun will be had!

06-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Strangely enough it's the K10D for me, sure the K5 is better in all aspects but i still like the K10D more.
When it's time to upgrade i'll keep the K10D and sell the K5.
same here
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
Forum Member

I have the K-5 since more than a year, and I like it. I would still choose it over the other brands for the same reasons that originally made me buy it: it is the smallest D-SLR with all the nice goodies (like pentaprism, AF screw drive motor, top LCD and so on) and at the same time it is the most ergonomic and pleasant-to-use camera. The technical top-notch performance of the sensor was a very important part for me as well. I have tried all of the major competitors (in stores or borrowing from friends), and all of them are simply much clumsier (meaning they would stay at home more often) or lack useful functions (like top LCD etc).

Oh, one more thing that is really nice about the K-5: the quietness of the shutter.

One thing has me curious: What do some of you like more about the K10D? I have virtually no experience with that body.
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Today i was walking the streets again with my Sexy looker K-5. And just felt so special when i saw all the 60D's and D7000's around me (or lower models)

But yeah, its mainly the built, image quality and great primes that seal the deal for me

06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjb981 Quote
One thing has me curious: What do some of you like more about the K10D? I have virtually no experience with that body.
The feeling you get while using it, it's just fits better and the image quality is kinda special, it's the CCD in it that does it.
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
Forum Member

The feeling you get while using it, it's just fits better and the image quality is kinda special, it's the CCD in it that does it.
Isn't it a Sony CCD in the K5 ?
06-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Isn't it a Sony CCD in the K5 ?
the k-5 has a sony CMOS

06-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing that is really nice about the K-5: the quietness of the shutter.
Nickname for my 5DII is the mousetrap....
06-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
the k-5 has a sony CMOS
I believe tbe very same one as the sony I used to have, I refer you to my thread one level up ... if true I can say with 100% certainty that its not the ccd that you love in the k-5.
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
I believe tbe very same one as the sony I used to have, I refer you to my thread one level up ... if true I can say with 100% certainty that its not the ccd that you love in the k-5.
The K5 uses CMOS sensor as most DSLR do these days, CCD is different kind of sensor. CMOS are passive while CCD are active also most of the hardware is on the CMOS sensor and it gives out a digital signal CCD on the other hand gives an analog signal.
Not saying one is better then the other since they have their own strengths but they do have a different feel to them.
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The K5 uses CMOS sensor as most DSLR do these days, CCD is different kind of sensor. CMOS are passive while CCD are active also most of the hardware is on the CMOS sensor and it gives out a digital signal CCD on the other hand gives an analog signal.
Not saying one is better then the other since they have their own strengths but they do have a different feel to them.
That's exactly the reason for hanging on to a K10d!
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Forum Member

Ok wrong terminology, point still stands, its not the sensor thats delivering the goods if what I saw on a Sony sld is anything to go by.
06-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
Forum Member

There are definitely more things to making the out of camera images than just the lens and the sensor, namely the cameras jpeg engine. I have heard others mention elsewhere that Sony's jpeg engine is not as good as the rest, and I have also heard elsewhere that the Pentax jpeg engine is one of the best. From my own experience, I tend to agree with the latter (I cannot say about Sony because I do not have that much experience with their camera -- Sony was pretty much off my list of possible choices after I realized that they went and changed the one standard that all the other manufacturers still stick to -- the flash hot-shoe -- and made their own -- completely unnecessary engineering, with the only purpose of making it more complicated for the users (us) to buy anything non-Sony, which is also why you will find "Sony special hot-shoe" to normal hot-shoe adapters -- a completely unnecessary cost for Sony shooters, and one more part that can break or get lost when using non-Sony flashes).

Of course, the exact same reasoning goes for the lens mounts -- of course it would be great for all of us that use cameras if all lenses were compatible with all cameras -- but here, all manufacturers are the same since a long time. That is not the case when it comes to professional video recording equipment. I was talking to a journalist and a camera man some time ago, when I realized that he had a Sony video camera with a Canon lens on it. I asked, and he said that "sure, there is an industry standard for the lens mount. We mix them all the time". Unfortunately, we "personal users" cannot put the same kind of demands as the professional market. Too bad...

Sorry about all the off-topic ranting. Ii's just that I am allergic to that kind of engineering, which is only meant to cripple the products and not to improve on anything.

So, some people like the CCD better than the CMOS. Even if there could have been changes to Pentax's jpeg engine between K10D and K-5, of course what you put into it will also effect the output. CCD:s are less sensitive to the angle of light hitting it, afaik, which I belive is the reason they use CCD:s for the largest sensors (like medium format). Maybe that has something to do with it...
06-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel the opeation of k-5 is the best, as I tried other DSLR, however I never tried those very high end DSLR...
06-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

So, some people like the CCD better than the CMOS. Even if there could have been changes to Pentax's jpeg engine between K10D and K-5, of course what you put into it will also effect the output. CCD:s are less sensitive to the angle of light hitting it, afaik, which I belive is the reason they use CCD:s for the largest sensors (like medium format). Maybe that has something to do with it...
CCD are used in medium formats because they are cheaper in lower quantities and they overall preform better at lower ISO's.
First time hearing about the angle of attack but it might be true, i dont know.