Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Yeah, well my daughter seems to do the same thing. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the K200D's CCD sensor gives nicer color saturation than the K-5. By giving her the K100D you're hardly shorting her on image quality. And as I mentioned, investing in one or two more could be a good idea.
-That's an interesting comment about the nicer color saturation.. I think I've read a little about that in the past, but not versus the K5.. Is it technically true and/or your personal perception?
- Thanks for the glass suggestions. Getting more dough out of the wife/$manager any time soon for gear is going to be tough, but maybe this 'for our daughter' angle is worth exploring.. :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Here's a very good deal for a 16GB card with good reviews: 16GB Super Talent Class 10 SDHC for $8.75 w/free S&H at Camera Deals
(I've bought from meritline numerous times.)
Thanks I ordered two! ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Congrats on the new camera!. Adding the DA 15 was a good move also, a really awesome combination. The battery life is exceptional although if you want an extra battery on hand I can understand, especially if you shoot video (I don't). The K5 battery takes a fairly long time to fully charge. Since my K10D has a Katz Eye, I do much of my MF shooting with that camera. The Katz Eye was a worthwhile investment for me. The first split image focusing screen (Ebay cheepie) I purchased was a piece of crap but others have had satisfactory copies. It's quite handy to have 2 cameras along. The DA 15 has a semi permanent home on the K5. As I hike, ski, and kayak and lot, one of the most useful accessories I have purchased was a Cotton Carrier vest. I can carry my camera comfortably all day with my camera secure and handy at all times.
I've been using my manual focus lenses more lately and really have to do something to help my eyes so thanks for this feedback.. I will do something for both cameras for sure..

I too envision the DA15 spending a major percentage of time on my K5. I've been on flickriver.com doing the DA15 lens explore, and the DA15 club here, getting filled up with inspiration to engage this lens..

Thanks for all this great input everyone!

Last edited by todd; 06-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote

Thanks I ordered two! ;-)
You're very welcome.
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since you're going to Oregon, you'll either want something waterproof/water resistant to keep it in if you're west of the mountains, or something similar to protect your gear from dust if you're east of the mountains. Even in July, you never know... and yes the k5 is weather sealed, but most lenses aren't. If it's a light sprinkle, I don't worry about it so much, but if it starts doing more than that and I don't have a weather sealed lens, I put my camera away (but I almost always carry a weather resistant lens).

Any plans on what you're going to see? Regardless, hope you enjoy your camera. I know for me, it's an amazing piece of engineering!
06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Since you're going to Oregon, you'll either want something waterproof/water resistant to keep it in if you're west of the mountains, or something similar to protect your gear from dust if you're east of the mountains. Even in July, you never know... and yes the k5 is weather sealed, but most lenses aren't. If it's a light sprinkle, I don't worry about it so much, but if it starts doing more than that and I don't have a weather sealed lens, I put my camera away (but I almost always carry a weather resistant lens).

Any plans on what you're going to see? Regardless, hope you enjoy your camera. I know for me, it's an amazing piece of engineering!
So glad you stopped in!
We are going to Foster OR for five days (July 15th to 20th) to a special needs camp (our youngest adopted daughter is blind)... Outside of that, suggestions are very welcomed. I read a long time ago in Bryan Peterson's book about Silver Falls, so that's the only place I've really thought about so far.

I might as well throw this out here too because I am engaged in many wonderings right now.. (I may need to post this question in it's own more conspicuous thread) Basically, I think I am going to need to fill in the gap of my lens coverage with something on AF side...

The Sigma 17-50 looks nice but it's too much $.
I like the Sigma 30mm but that's too pricey right now.
I just know I enjoy the focal length of my 28mm manual lenses so I know I'd like something in that range auto focus.
I have always wanted an 18-250mm (Tam or DA) but they seem to be nowhere to be found.
I have been considering getting a DA35 for now until something else grabs me.
Edit: Also been thinking about DA 16-45 - forgot that one...

Like I said.. Many wonderings.. :-)

Last edited by todd; 06-28-2012 at 10:15 PM.
06-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't recommend the WR lens option enough - I was photographing a cousins wedding and it was raining. They had a tent, but it was pretty crowded, so I kept darting around outside the tent to get different perspectives. Naturally, I, and the K5 got very wet. But, since I had the 18-135mm on (a WR lens) I had no problems and the very tech savvy computer technician consultant relative was a bit envious!

You can often find the 18-55 WR cheap on the marketplace or on ebay. While it isn't great, it is cheap and it will let you shoot in the rain. Plenty of people put the 18-135mm WR down, but I like it well enough and find it very flexible and a great traveling companion.

For a better quality lens than the standard kit, check out the 16-45mm. That takes great photos and is often available used. Be sure to check the used departments at B&H, adorama, and Keh.com
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the note of the 16-45mm - there is one in the marketplace now for 275.. FYI!
06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
On the note of the 16-45mm - there is one in the marketplace now for 275.. FYI!
Thanks..That's what got me thinking earlier, though it looks like he is getting nibbles... I am not ready to pull the trigger on that one..