Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Split Focussing Screen for my K5's

Just ordered two split screen focussing screens of the Nikon K3 type for my K5's from the Focussing Screen Company in Taiwan.

Focusing Screen

I am just not pleased with not being able to accurately focus under certain conditions and I am hoping that the micro prism and split screen can ameliorate the problem. I understand that the AF will not be affected. I just used to love the classic split screen confirmation. I just hope I do not have to replace the pad that the original Pentax focussing screen uses. Mr.Deki Kuo at focussingscreens.com told me that normally, I should not have to replace it. We shall see.

06-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep us informed on how you like it Ben, as I've been mulling it over for some time now. I'd prefer one that the split was diagonal, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Interested to see how this goes. Will it affect metering?
07-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Interested to see how this goes. Will it affect metering?
Yes, spot metering only. But as I use a hand held meter for my shoots, that is okay with me.

08-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

So how did it go? Works fine?
08-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading this thread I found an older one (3 yrs) that is likely still pertinent. I've only had my K5 for a couple months and not a whole lot of shutter count but have had some definite focusing misfires and hunting sessions that were mystifying. I also would far prefer a diagonal split and I use spot metering quite a bit. Hope this old thread has some useful info you find relevant, though it is 3 years old, I suspect it still applies and I'll pay the extra backs for the OptiBrite advantage when I make the decision to change screens. Katzeye claims auto-focusing is unaffected and you can order the screen with the brackets etched onto the screen. My boat wants me to spend money on it first, the screen is cheap in comparison.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82227-k3-focusings...s-katzeye.html
BTW, "focussingscreens" dot com will get you you nowhere...
08-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DizziPixel Quote
After reading this thread I found an older one (3 yrs) that is likely still pertinent. I've only had my K5 for a couple months and not a whole lot of shutter count but have had some definite focusing misfires and hunting sessions that were mystifying. I also would far prefer a diagonal split and I use spot metering quite a bit. Hope this old thread has some useful info you find relevant, though it is 3 years old, I suspect it still applies and I'll pay the extra backs for the OptiBrite advantage when I make the decision to change screens. Katzeye claims auto-focusing is unaffected and you can order the screen with the brackets etched onto the screen. My boat wants me to spend money on it first, the screen is cheap in comparison.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82227-k3-focusings...s-katzeye.html
BTW, "focussingscreens" dot com will get you you nowhere...
Another screen from http://www.focusingscreen.com to consider is:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=25_113&products_id=1098

08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just ordered two split screen focussing screens of the Nikon K3 type for my K5's from the Focussing Screen Company in Taiwan.

Focusing Screen

I am just not pleased with not being able to accurately focus under certain conditions and I am hoping that the micro prism and split screen can ameliorate the problem. I understand that the AF will not be affected. I just used to love the classic split screen confirmation. I just hope I do not have to replace the pad that the original Pentax focussing screen uses. Mr.Deki Kuo at focussingscreens.com told me that normally, I should not have to replace it. We shall see.
Oh well done! Thats exactly the kind of screen I want. Its the same as the one in my old Minolta. Think I will see if I can find one locally (and then get an expert to put it in, those operations and my shaky hands make me nervous)
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently installed the Katzeye screen in my camera. It has the split focus with micro prism. I also had added the Optibrite options along with the AF focus pattern and rule of thirds lines. Got $40 off that way. I am pleased with it and it is not too busy with all the lines on it. As mentioned in the post referenced above I would have preferred a diagonal split screen. All of my lenes are manual focus and having the focus aids is a big plus. Cost me about $200 with everything.