Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cancelled my K-30 order and placing order on K-5

I prefer top LCD, magnesium alloy body, 700+ shots per battery, better high ISO image quality after looking at the K-30 sample pictures and comparisons, and 1/8000s shutter speed. I decided that the only thing the K-30 has advantage over K-5 regardless of price is the better autofocusing speeds, which I don't care much about because I had the K-7 in the past and that was good enough for me, also since the K-5 should have a small AF advantage over the K-7. So it should be arriving on Tuesday! I am excited to be part of the K-5 ownership club!

06-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new purchase. I picked one up a few weeks ago after the price drops and love it. Smaller and feels better built than my Canon gear.

I don't much care for the styling of the K30 myself. The K5 has a classic yet modern look to it.
06-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats!
06-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done. Exactly the same reasons that I went with the k-5.
Got mine recently and it is as good as people say.
I've still got loads of features that I haven't tried.

06-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K-30 delay

I wonder if K-5 stock is still too high, and the K-30 when available will throttle sales of the Five. The features of the K-5 are worthy and I'm very happy with mine.. but the new video, focus peaking and incrementally better sensor (and who knows yet about AF?) could just make the K-30 a must-have camera in any color. Were I starting over and had those two to choose from I'd lean toward the Thirty.. and maybe Pentax sees that coming. Another month selling down K-5s would help their bottom line, and I want their bottom line to prosper. And for you who are waiting right now: the K-5 is amazing, and the K-30 might be the only thing that can beat it.

I don't mean to leave the K-01 out of the equation! If its AF speed will serve your needs it's mighty nice as well, and it's a very tempting second body. Long live the sweet-16 sensor!
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wise choice, I'd say.
With the prices for the K-5 as low as they are right now, why wouldn't you go for it? Honestly, getting a camera of the quality of the K-5 for around $900 must be almost unheard off in the world of photography, not only Pentax.
I got a K-7 a couple of years ago and love it to death. Couldn't resist the price drop and got the K-5 a few weeks ago and havn't had any regrets, I love the flexibility in low light.
06-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Between the two I'd say that the K-5 is the better camera as a whole. The K-30 brings updated AF and video to the table but after that it comes up short on a few features found on the K-5 that I value. That's not to say that the K-30 isn't going to be a great camera it's just that the K-5 has better physical controls, full metal body, top LCD, and 14 bit color depth that the K-30 doesn't have. Past that they are very similar.

06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Between the two I'd say that the K-5 is the better camera as a whole. The K-30 brings updated AF and video to the table but after that it comes up short on a few features found on the K-5 that I value. That's not to say that the K-30 isn't going to be a great camera it's just that the K-5 has better physical controls, full metal body, top LCD, and 14 bit color depth that the K-30 doesn't have. Past that they are very similar.
IMO, it will all depend on the K-30's AF, specifically the AF accuracy in low-level tungsten light. If that is no longer a bugaboo, and the AF is both faster and more sophisticated, I'd give it the edge over the K-5 in general purpose usage. But if I were doing primarily studio or landscape work, I'd definitely go for the K-5 because of the 14 bit color depth.

Still, the K-x is the best Pentax ever!
06-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I prefer top LCD, magnesium alloy body, 700+ shots per battery, better high ISO image quality after looking at the K-30 sample pictures and comparisons, and 1/8000s shutter speed. I decided that the only thing the K-30 has advantage over K-5 regardless of price is the better autofocusing speeds, which I don't care much about because I had the K-7 in the past and that was good enough for me, also since the K-5 should have a small AF advantage over the K-7. So it should be arriving on Tuesday! I am excited to be part of the K-5 ownership club!
Solid reasoning. The K-5 is probably one of the best deals out there right now. The added benefit for you is that everything between the K-7 and K-5 are interchangeable. The K-7/K-5/K-01 are where it is at for a full set of functionality and interchangeability with batteries (those three are my current kit, K-7 playing backup and the two others are often used at the same time at events).
06-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iwillau Quote
...Honestly, getting a camera of the quality of the K-5 for around $900 must be almost unheard off in the world of photography, not only Pentax...
Congrats to the OP. K-5's are great cameras. Like the quote above, at $900 it is a no-brainer. I haven't seen a camera like the Canon 7D discounted like the K-5 has been. I only wish that I would have paid $900 for mine. I think that it was more like $1300.
06-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
... incrementally better sensor (and who knows yet about AF?) could just make the K-30 a must-have camera in any color.
Don't know about that. The DR & high-ISO noise performance of the K-30 is slightly less than that of the K-5.