Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

The tale of my first 24 Hours of K5 Ownership...

Well, what can I say...

WOW!

I've been thinking for some time to buy a new DSLR... Practically since my Sony A200 had an electronic misalignment problem late February. I had a look around and I got interested in the K5. The last month I've been thinking whether to get a Pentax K5, and yesterday I decided to try it extensively in the local Photography Store with several lenses on it.

I was impressed with the image quality, how it felt use, and the drawbacks I was afraid of turned out to be not as big an issue as I thought (lock button on the mode dial, small OVF - compared to my Olympus OM-1 anyway), and I decided to get one there and then!

My choice fell on the 18-55 and 50-200. It seemed the 18-135 had bigger chromatic abberation compared to the 50-200, and whilst the 18-55 wasn't as sharp as the 18-135, however for an additional 40 euros I can't really go wrong with it as a 'temporary' lens (that means, until I get the funds to get one or several higher quality lenses to replace it).

I immediately started trying out the camera. I quickly started feeling at home on the camera, and stepping up from a Sony A200, this camera oozes off style, quality and durability (Not at all that the Sony was a bad camera, it made me take photography more seriously, but it's the fine ergonomics, attention to detail and the way the buttons feel that put a big smile on my face as a student in product design)

And the image quality? Beyond comparison! Sharper pictures (it makes the A200's pictures look cloudy, the detail is everywhere jumping in your face, I love it!), more lively colours and contrast, nearly no noise, acceptable noise at higher ISO levels, lightning quick AF (the A200's AF was rather slow, and also inconsistent in the dark, so I only used MF on it)...

I thought I'd upload a few pictures I made today... Mostly shot with the 18-55, JPG at highest quality (though I also have RAW/PEFs of it). I've added them in the 'No more tests! just pictures' forum, the link to my reply is here.

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 07-02-2012 at 03:18 AM.
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! I can't wait to receive mine this Tuesday or Wednesday also. I know I made the right choice choosing the K-5 over the K-30. It seems like you made a right choice for yourself there. Magnesium alloy body and weather seals which absolutely kills the A200 in ergonomics, but internally it's got one of the best and if not the best APS-C sensor to date in terms of ISO ranges with noise levels goes. Getting the best of both worlds!
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was able to upgrade last January from my trusty K20. The one thing that I would like to say, especially in that we are in the end of the K5's life cycle as the flagship product, is not to go get camera envy when its replacement is announced and then is delivered.

enjoy shooting, and have fun!!....

07-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!

@LeDave: I first looked to the Pentax DSLRs thinking 'Let's find out why Pentax is an outsider brand in the Netherlands, and whether it's logical that they are.' Then after some research I felt the K5 had in store what I needed: Heavy duty build quality with a fine ergonomic touch, serious weatherproofing (something I really wanted), and an impressive sensor.

There's only one thing I miss on it (as with any APS-C camera since I started shooting with Film SLRs): A large OVF - I don't have the money for a Full Frame camera, and for an APS-C camera, the OVF on the K5 actually seems to be pretty decent.

@interesting_observer: This is about as expensive a camera as I can afford (and with my experience I shouldn't switch from an entry level DSLR to an even more sophisticated model than the K5), so I can envy whatever I want but I hope to use this camera for at least 4 years Being a flagship model (it can be felt from every button, switch and dial on the body) it should be able to handle that, and I'm blown away by the image quality, so with that and the idea in my mind of expanding the collection of lenses a bit throughout the camera's life, I think I can easily enjoy this camera for those 4 years without thinking of a replacement!

I'll probably be shooting at a race with RC cars next weekend. This is what the Sony A200 was capable of with edited RAW imagery:

BNK Vlijmen 28-05-2012 pictures by Varockshade - Photobucket

Let's see how much the K5 can improve on that! I'm assured of one improvement: No dust in the body after a single day of shooting!

07-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K-5 is awesome.

Hopefully Pentax doesn't screw it up.
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Origineel if you're going to be shooting R/C cars next time, keep in mind that Pentax is the one of the slower auto focusing brands which is one of their and if not the biggest downside of Pentax.
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
one of the slower auto focusing brands
Right... if you are using an old screw-drive old big zoom perhaps. But if you use the 18-135 (or something like the DA40 or Sigma 70-200 HSM), AF speed is great.

AFC subject tracking is not Nikon D4 grade on the K-5, sure, but the rest of it's AF performance will be more than OK for most users.

07-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
@LeDave: I didn't know that, and I'm a little confused to read it. I've found the AF to be extremely quick! I'm used to an older and much lower spec body, so I guess I'm relatively easy to impress on that front.

I expect to be able to ditch the technique of focussing on one part of the track where I want to shoot the cars, putting it on MF, tracking down the next car coming up, keeping it visible in the viewfinder and clicking at the right moment - It was the method with which I maximized the amount of in-focus shots with my A200, and in fact the only way to get over 50% of the shots in focus or partly in focus - If the K5 enables me to focus on how I want to shoot the cars instead of how to get focussed shots, it does all I could ever ask for on the AF front!

I guess next weekend will be a decent test for the K5, with the AF and Weather Sealing being the main aspects that are not yet tested to their limits (with prospects of rain at least one day of the weekend and quick, small cars)

@alamo5000: What do you mean with 'hopefully Pentax doesn't screw it up'? That I stay content about my decision to get a K5? Or that their future cameras (and Pentax suggested new flagship model coming up) continue the spirit of the K5?

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 07-02-2012 at 02:41 AM.
07-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of autofocusing you can also try the opposite approach - set the camera up for "catch in focus", focus on a particular area and wait. When the car comes into that area and is in focus, the image is captured. I believe you can also setup for multiple shots. See page 134 of the K5 manual.

07-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
The approach I meant is that 'catch in focus' - however, I don't know about the A200 having a catch in focus function, so I did it manually That said, with such a function on the camera I sure can get some amazing shots... However, I'm wondering if this is just for older lenses, or if I can use it on my kit lenses as well? Anyway, if it is possible, it will probably become easier to shoot nice pictures of cars in flight thanks to that!
07-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Origineelreclamebord Quote
There's only one thing I miss on it (as with any APS-C camera since I started shooting with Film SLRs): A large OVF - I don't have the money for a Full Frame camera, and for an APS-C camera, the OVF on the K5 actually seems to be pretty decent.
If you're not wearing glasses, the Viewfinder Loupe 0-ME53 is an interesting accessory to invest in. I have it and will not use my camera without it. Not only does it enlarge view through the viewfinder, it also adds some distance for your nose to fit between face and camera (so less spots on the LCD).

But as I wrote, it's not for those that wear glasses. Unfortunately, you need to have your eye close up to the viewfinder to see the entire frame, which is not possible with glasses.

Wim
07-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
If you're not wearing glasses, the Viewfinder Loupe 0-ME53 is an interesting accessory to invest in. ...it's not for those that wear glasses. Unfortunately, you need to have your eye close up to the viewfinder to see the entire frame, which is not possible with glasses.
Really? I wear glasses with progressive lenses and don't feel disadvantaged using the O-ME53. I just crop to compose in post .

To the OP... Give yourself some time to learn the camera. The best place I've found to give your brain/gear a good workout is your local zoo. It has a wide variety of settings that are close together. Devote a day to using the K-5 paired to only one lens and shoot as many settings as you can, then go home and study the results. Try to do your best, but consider each shot an experiment and be pleasantly surprised, if a keeper emerges. I've been using the K-5 almost everyday for the past 18 months and am constantly finding a new tweak that seems to improve my results.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 07-03-2012 at 04:18 AM.
07-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
not to go get camera envy when its replacement is announced and then is delivered.
The K-5 has plenty of life left in it! The only two major upgrades they can make are to improve the AF (and anyone who is honest will have to admit it can stand some improving - the K-5 is a fine camera if you aren't afraid to "touch-up" your focus manually) and significantly increase the megapixel count - but even the MP count is iffy because at 16 MP the K-5 is great and if they add more it's sweet noise performance could be compromised.

Well - they could come out with a version with no antialiasing filter, for us landscape shooters....

Last edited by ENicolas; 07-04-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Added quote