Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Rechargable AA's...

produce an empty blinking battery icon in the LCD window and nothing else. Do the batteries have to be brand new? Auto detect along with manual selection was used with the same result.

07-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using Sanyo Eneloop's for years with KX, K7 and now with K5 ( last two obviously with batter grip D-BG4 ) with no problems at all.
you can not use low quality AA ( like Ni-Cd) with DSLR's, they can not cope with high power demand.
07-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They're Energizer's rated@2500mah.
07-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just get yourself some Sanyo XX. Those Energizer 2500mAh are no good at all.

07-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

depends on the usage, budget and requirements
the Sanyo XX are 2500mAh but it retains 75% capacity after only 1 year, rated for 500 charges
Sanyo Eneloop are 2000mAh, it retains 75% capacity after 3 years, rated for 1500 charges
07-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

my experience

i've tried duracell rechargeables, eneloops, rayovac hybrid, and sonycycle energy NIMh's in my K100dS and Kx.

the rayovac hybrids worked best, they would last forever.
the sony ones did well (the 2100 and he 2300-2500 both seemed to last about as long)

the duracell and eneloops both lasted noticably shorter.

most important is to get a smart charger (that senses how full the batteries are and can drain them before a charge), not the cheap timer one i felt.

now that i have a K5, i just have a ton of batteries sitting around though.
07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
now that i have a K5, i just have a ton of batteries sitting around though.
Lol, me too, though I bundled some of them with my K-x when I sold it.

Time to get myself a hotshoe flash I think.

07-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just get yourself some Sanyo XX. Those Energizer 2500mAh are no good at all.
I've used the Energizer rechargeables for a couple of years now in my K-x bodies, and also in a K100D & *istDS with success.

Before I knew better, I did have a problem with the 15 minute quick charger prematurely killing off batteries, but since I wised up & bought a Maha MH-C800S smart charger, I've had no issues.

The Kodak 2500mAh "precharged" NiMh batteries also work well and last several hundred shots per charge, but the battery meter tends to say they're low long before they actually are. I just use 'em 'til they conk & then replace them with a freshly charged set.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 07-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.
07-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
produce an empty blinking battery icon in the LCD window and nothing else.
This sounds more like a problem with a specific set of batteries rather than a brand. In my experience all brands I have tried worked at least for a little while. If you are putting them fresh from the charger into the camera they should work at least for awhile.

Try the batteries in something else, AA flashlight maybe.
Do you have an intelligent charger? This is supposed to help get a proper charge.
How old are the batteries? As noted above Eneloops seem to keep recharging forever but the ordinary 'rechargeable' brands do wear out. For example, when I bought my k-x I bought 4 sets of batteries, 2 Eneloops and 1 Energizer and 1 Panasonic. The Energizers are long gone, the Panasonics are powering my computer mouse and only last about 2 days before needing recharged and the Eneloops are still going strong in the k-x.

If those batteries have been around awhile with numerous charge cycles they may be worn out or one of them may have an internal fault. My charger goes through a test / de-charge cycle and will alert when it finds a problem with a battery.
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This sounds more like a problem with a specific set of batteries rather than a brand. In my experience all brands I have tried worked at least for a little while. If you are putting them fresh from the charger into the camera they should work at least for awhile.

Try the batteries in something else, AA flashlight maybe.
Do you have an intelligent charger? This is supposed to help get a proper charge.
How old are the batteries? As noted above Eneloops seem to keep recharging forever but the ordinary 'rechargeable' brands do wear out. For example, when I bought my k-x I bought 4 sets of batteries, 2 Eneloops and 1 Energizer and 1 Panasonic. The Energizers are long gone, the Panasonics are powering my computer mouse and only last about 2 days before needing recharged and the Eneloops are still going strong in the k-x.

If those batteries have been around awhile with numerous charge cycles they may be worn out or one of them may have an internal fault. My charger goes through a test / de-charge cycle and will alert when it finds a problem with a battery.

They've been through the wringer a few times and are mainly used for the remotes. I can't seem to find the dedicated camera charger's(yes, I've lost both).
07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Eneloops XX for flash heads are godsends
07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stay away from Energizer NiMH's at all costs. They have an incredibly high self discharge rate and the internal impedance sky rockets very early in their life making them useless for high power applications. I've got some of the 2500's and they barely run my POS point and shoot for 20 shots. Get the Sanyo anything's as they have a much more modern chemistry with practically no self discharge (compared to other NiMH chemistries anyway).
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
They've been through the wringer a few times and are mainly used for the remotes.
I forgot to ask, but I assume other battery sets do work properly? So we can eliminate a camera problem?

If so, then it's time for a new set. As noted the energizers do not have a good reputation with high draw applications. I used to think all batteries were pretty much the same but a little research shows different brands have different chemistry's and internals, so some are definitely better. You might have one cell with an internal fault, not worth messing with, toss 'em and get a new set.

I was using energizers in my flash triggers (AAA) but since I don't use those everyday I found every time I went to use them the batteries had drained. Bought a set of Eneloops for them and have not had a problem since.
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will get Eneloops today...if I can find them. Any non-internet suggestions?
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Try your local price club. I got a good deal on 8x AA, 4x AAA, and a trickle-charger as a pack from Costco about a year ago but they don't seem to carry them at the moment.