Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Frick & Frack - Lens Release Button - twice now

The lens release button has come off my K5 for the second time .... pretty sure it is still under warranty but twice is getting to be a PIA as it will need to be away from me for 4 - 6 weeks.There is so much to love about this camera ,but mine definitely has an issue with this component ............

07-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted this before but you need to follow your own instincts. My button popped off a year ago and instead of sending it back to CRIS, I laid a very thin ring of superglue on the bottom edge of the rubber skirt around the button. I then eased the button back into place careful to keep the glue from rubbing the sides. I depressed the button only slightly, to make sure the skirt was in contact with the body and taped it in place slightly depressed for a few minutes. It has behaved fine under daily use and a thousand lens changes since.

Yes, it sucks to have such cheap behavior out of our expensive toys, no excuse for this issue. Good luck on your path to button permanence.
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I read a recent poster who contacted Pentax service about this issue and they sent him a new button to pop on rather than having him send his camera back for 6 weeks.

Here it is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/189715-lens-release-button-replacement.html

Might be different up North.
07-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer, Dave!

07-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Emailed Pentax Canada - 3 days no response
Went onto Pentax USA site filled out the 'issue form' and submitted it. Heard back from them the next day.

All they (Pentax USA) said was I had to contact Pentax Canada at least they gave me the 800 number for Canada.

Called Pentax Canada today (she said yes the technician was 'working' on the response to my email, strange because I never gave them my name or address or email on the phone....) and I asked that the part be shipped (as was the case in another thread with Pentax USA). I was told no, this would not be possible. . Aside from saying it 'sucks to be you' nothing I can do but send it in. I was very polite as the person on the end of phone is just the messenger. They did say to quote the other service number and they will 'try and expidite' the repair. When I asked what that meant did not get a very satisfactory answer, more back peddling than a actual turn around time.

So it looks like the K5 is off to Ontario for another 2-6 weeks. Truly sucks,let's hope is closer to 2 weeks than 6.
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K5 will be sent off on Friday for repair as they refused to ship the part ...I am cautiously optimistic I can get it back in about 3 weeks ..here's hoping
07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope they turn it around quickly for you. they need to look at policy on this since it is an ongoing documented problem(wonder how much it costs to buy a button once warranty is up? )