Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5-Wow...Thanks CRIS

I must say that when I bought my 'new' K5 earlier this year I was a little disappointed in that it was actually an old (used) re-stocked item from Adorama (as I have posted elsewhere). The images were decent and I had to adjust the AF to nearly +10 on all my lenses. None of the images looked all that stellar or different from my Kx. Then, I developed a problem I didn't even know existed- the mirror overrun problem. So, I had no choice but send it in for repair.

After receiving it back, all I can say is 'Wow!' Now, I know why everyone is raving about their K5! I just want to give a shout out to the nice people at CRIS. I hated that it took 3+ weeks, but it was well worth the wait. All my AF lenses focus accurately without any adjustments. I did ask that they adjust the AF in addition to the Mirror issue. I am even getting nice crisp shots with my 77 mm which I was thinking of selling due to soft images. I think in the spectrum of quality control in Pentaxland, my K5 was on the low end. After getting the camera back, it was as if I was getting a new K5 the way it should have been in the first place. Everything was cleaned and reset -even the position of the dials were exactly as described in the manual. Now, that is attention to detail.

People (especially on the internet) will gripe at bad service. Few ever take the time to point out excellence, however. I thought I would share my experience, so if there were anyone with reservations sending in their K5 (or other), you might know at least one person had great service.

Mark

07-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Similar issue with my K-5 - AF issues. Hated to send it in, but so glad I did now.

Good experience with CRIS here also - in their shop for only 3 days. Great service and the on-line tracking of the camera in the shop is great.

Like you, +10 adjustment for most lenses - actually +10 wasn't enough for a couple. Came back spot on and haven't had to do any AF adjustments at all.
07-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I must say that when I bought my 'new' K5 earlier this year I was a little disappointed in that it was actually an old (used) re-stocked item from Adorama (as I have posted elsewhere).
So frustrating!! I have always wondered about that, if I send something back does it go right back into circulation or is it in the used shop? And what have I gotten that was returned by someone else??
07-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to read about some good experiences.

07-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
So frustrating!! I have always wondered about that, if I send something back does it go right back into circulation or is it in the used shop? And what have I gotten that was returned by someone else??
I can't speak for other retailers, but our procedure at Adorama is to send returned items back to the manufacturer for refurbishment, use them as demo models in the store, and sell them as open box / demo via the used department.
I don't recall this particular issue, but a likely explanation is simple human error.
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
To be fair I should have been more clear regarding my initial purchase. When I first found that the camera was not new I contacted Adorama. Helen was also very kind. She reminded me that I was able to return the camera if I wanted to. At the time I was unaware that K5's made in 8/2011 were still prone to the mirror over run issue. Had I known that I would have retuned it. Otherwise the camera was in pristine condition and I really could not justify returning it as it was fully functional. I apologize if it sounded like the camera was dead on arrival. It actually was working well for two months prior to the problems. As Helen says above it probably was a human error in my case. The prior owner was meticulous in repackaging. I didn't know until I saw the date had been set to my time zone. I would still use Adorama in part because of their return policy.
Mark