Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 has a quiet mirror actuation and shutter. As some others said, it is "weather resistance" and not "weather proof," but is probably one of the better DSLRs out there for that feature. If you are worried about sound, only buy lenses with SDM, otherwise you will scare away the birds with the AF focusing sound.

07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Banned

Maybe K-5 and DA*60-250mm is a good set. You have excellent invironmental protection and the ease of using a zoom and long enough for some birds.
07-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I can't compare with the Canon, but it is much quieter than my old Oly E420.

I was shooting a wood pecker at maybe 40 feet or so. It turned to see what the noise was. If use LV, it is a bit quieter.

The weather proof is great. I have a cover for my lens and keep the whole kit covered in inclement weather, but don't worry at all if the body gets some splashes, which seem inevitable.

The body is tough. I was traversing a rock face and slipped. The camera got slammed against the rocks. The long adaptall bent it's mount, but the body was scratched only and survived without a problem. I now have evidence of the magnesium body. I suspect a lesser body would have had serious damage.

After using a body for a while you will always find something that you would like better, but the K-5 is very good. The high ISO, dynamic range is very good. There aren't any bad bodies at this price range, but there are definitely things that you personally would love depending on your shooting style. Good that you can try different ones out.
07-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's too silent!! I tell you my story, when I would buy it:
Times ago I've had a KX (dsrl) and was looking for a used K5. I found a person who could sell it, so we agreed on place and time where I could try the camera. Once tried the K5, I didn't buy it, because I thought it was broken because of the "non-noise" compared to the kx!! I'm not joking!
Then I tried it in a shop and saw that it was normal and finally bought it new.
I love this camera and under this point of view is the quiter camera I've ever try.

Gabriel

07-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thats a funny storry! The lenses that tempts me the most at the moment are DA*16-50, DA* 60-250 and the macro lens. (forgot the name). They seam to have good reputation. But I am just dreaming now. It will take quite some time to raise the cash. There are other nice options as well.

Thanks again.
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #21

The K-5 is whisper quiet. The only cameras I own that are quieter are my Minox 8x11 sub-mini spy cameras. As for FF, well, I never really thought I missed much at all, progressing from *ist-D, through K-10D, K-20D and K-7, and now with the K-5, even less so. In fact, with telephotos, I gain. My A*300/2.8 becomes equal to a 460/2.8 in FF when used on APS-C. With the high ISO performance of the K-5, I get way more than FF flim could ever deliver. It is just incredible, and any DOF loss from FF, I can compensate for by stopping down and shooting at faster ISO. The K-5 has enough excess low light performance that it is no longer relevant. Remember, with film, that big A*300/2.8 had to be that big and fast just to get the EV needed to work with ISO 64 or 100 slide film, and that was if you shot wide open, so low DOF anyway. Now, hell, I just speed the ISO up and things are now possible that were impossible just a decade ago in film, or even a few years ago on slower sensors. So much so that my F*300/4.5 is usually fast enough for any telephoto work,even stopped down. I'd say the only thing I cannot yet get in APS-C is super-ultra wide. I could put my A15/3.5. rectilinear super wide on my LX and have to avoid getting my feet in the frame. So far, my DA 12-24 is my widest in digital, but it could not equal that angle of view from the 15 on a FF film camera. Maybe a 10mm would do it in digital, but then, it was always for kicks and giggles to go that wide anyway.

Mike V
10-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We use a k-20D as our "out in the boat lens." It would be a lot cheaper to replace if the seals failed and it got soaked, and if you're not shooting in low light, you get great pictures. I put it in a camera holster with the 18-135 on it and just wear it in the boat or set it beside me or in front of me. I also carry a wet bag I can seal it in in rough weather. The K-5 stays in Pelican case, but we have no qulams about pulling it out, even in rain of mist if we want it. Once we have a K-5 IIs, the K-5 will probably be taking the K20d's spot. We used to carry an Optio 10W but with the K20D out in the boat, it hardly ever gets used. I doubt you'll find a waterproof point and shoot that give you anywhere near the IQ of a K-5 with the 18-135.

11-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
Forum Member

As others have said, the K-5 has a very silent shutter, it is also very well balanced with hardly any vibration. First time I pressed the shutter I thought it didn't work. My friend, with a D90, envies the shutter sound of the K-5.
I have had the K-5 all wet, dripping. No problems. You can find many such videos on youtube.
And then there are the ergonomics and the fantastic IQ. It's a damn fine camera this.
11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I shoot in a group with other photographers they are amazed at how quiet my now 'old' K20D is compared to their Cs and Ns and my K5 is even quieter. If you really want to spoil somebody's day, rip off a few high speed frames next to a guy with a C 1D Mk whatever! As for 'weatherproof 'or 'water resistant' I take my stuff outside regardless of the weather and have never had a problem. I wouldn't hold it under a waterfall ( ) but otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned. I think for kayaking a K5 and a DA* 60-250 f/4 would be just about perfect. (Don't you just love how I spend other peoples money?)
11-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

K-5 is very quiet, next comes the K-r, and the old K110D sounds like a train wreck ... J
11-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 shutter is about as loud as a ninja's fart.

In-body stabilization is not quite as effective as lens stabilization. I reckon you get two stops from in-body stabilization whereas reviews indicate a 3-stop advantage for Canon IS. Good thing about IBIS is that you get the benefit no matter what you mount. Difference in price for lenses with stabilization and without can be hundreds of dollars for Canon L glass.

Don't sweat too much about the DOF thing between APS-C and full frame since that way madness lies. If bokeh is your be-all and end-all, Pentax ain't the system for you.