Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

How "loud" is the K-5? and do you miss FF?

Hi everyone!

Every year around May I have realized that I need a good camera. Thats when the kayak season begins. A couple of years ago that happened when the K-7 was just released and then the K-5 and soon the K-3... I didn't have the money so I never bought one. This year however I was lucky. My father had a spare camera I could borrow. A Canon 5D (made 2005) and a travel lens 70-300 DO is USM. I have taken around 3-4000 pictures and I have learned a lot! The only downsides of this camera is the loud shutter noise that scares the birds. They may not fly away but they get scared enough to get that stiff unnatural pose. The camera is not weather sealed and many times I decide not to bring it out of the waterproof bag to take a picture if the water isn't perfectly still. I am still very attracted to the Pentax "concept" and since Im not in an urgent need for a camera I have plenty of time to investigate the trends of the market. Basically what Im dwelling is Canon FF or Pentax. I really like the pictures posted here and Im convinced I wouldn't get disappointed with any of the DA* lenses. The physical size of the tele's is a big plus since I have limited space to transport them in an ocean kayak or back pack when trekking. I will do nature photography only.

My questions are; how "loud" is the K-5? About average? The new Canon 5D Mark III have great options to reduce the sound when shooting in "stealth-mode", Its semi weather proof and have a great range and many nice AF features etc. But its quite big. How do you feel that the K5 operates in these conditions? I am also curious about the built in stabilizer. Is it very good or "average" compared the stabilizers build in semi pro lenses? An other hang up I have is wether I would miss FF or not. Economically APS-C is way better but some say that this format lacks "depth". Is that true?

Kind Regards

MB.

07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The shutter and mirror of the K-5 are about as loud as a whisper. With SDM lenses it is just about silent. With screw drive lenses it is quite loud.

The K-5 is weather resistant, important to remember that it is not waterproof, and quite small. Many here find it too small without the grip. I have small hands so I think it is just the right size.

The difference between FF and APS-C is about a stop of DoF. That and about $1,000 in price.
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

How loud is the k-5? I was at B&H yesterday, trying it out (and looking for the k-30).

*press shutter button*
*thwip*

it was quiet enough that I didn't realize what I was hearing. Suffice it to say, in that retail environment, I bet no one would have heard me shooting it at full speed from more than a couple feet away.
07-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is indeed nice and quiet. As for missing FF: the image quality is fine; but I miss a FF viewfinder for manual focus.

Last edited by TomB_tx; 07-10-2012 at 08:43 AM.
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Nice! I know its not water proof but I am talking about using it with wet hands and a couple of drops from the paddle if I need to reposition the kayak after drifting.

Thanks for your quick replies.
07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Combine the quiet K-5 with the quiet 18-135 and it's amazing. I set up the K-10 with a vintage lens (I have split-screen in the K-10) and the noise startled me - I'd forgotten.
07-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently take my K5 sea kayaking (in a water proof floating box for safety in case of a flip). Honestly the K5 is the quietest Pentax I've owned. Wet hands? No problem. Just get it.

07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The K100D is embarrassing loud - no churches or libraries, please. The K-5 is quiet compared to that, but over time I have gotten used to hearing it and wish it was quieter :-(. As I recall the K20D is somewhere in the middle.
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 has the quietest shutter of any DSLR I've heard (I've heard a lot of Canon and Nikon bodies) it's one of the best things about the camera.
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will not be disappointed with the shutter sound from the K-5, when I first used it I had a hard time believing I actually was taking photos, it is a very quiet camera.
For what you are requiring I highly suggest the K-5, I have the 18-135 lens on order and I am thinking it is going to be an awesome lens for all around, carry around lens.
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

it's actually more depends on the lens if you mean focusing noise.
some lens are louder than the others.
as my lens: F35-70 (quite loud when focus ring banging front and back) > DA35mm > DA18-55mm (pretty quiet in my taste)

as for shutter noise, it's really dang quiet i would say.
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey MB. I am an owner of a 5Dm2 and K-5. I was caught between these cameras earlier this year. CBA hit hard--got the 5D in March; K-5 in June. I really can't afford the lenses for both, but I figured I'd shoot with both for awhile and see which fits my style better. No camera rentals near me here in AK.

So far, bad news. I like both.

5DII wins in photo sharpness, resolution, thin DOF, large viewfinder. Arguably lens selection if you want fast, silent zooms and a larger used market. I have a little more confidence in the 5DII AF, though it has less cross point sensors than the K-5.

The K5 is a MUCH more sturdy camera..a little tank compared to the 5D. Smaller & lighter. More of a joy to use. Weather sealing. Sony Exmor sensor (great for lifting shadows). Intervalometer. Can use more of the legacy lenses. Every lens is stabilized. Very quiet shutter next to the 5DII mousetrap. Nice selection of super compact primes.

Want a great travel kyaking camera and want to stay with DSLRs? I'd leave the 5D home in a second and grab the K-5. This is really the environment where the K5 shines. You won't miss the FF (or APS-C like the 7D) unless you are trying to do AF in low light or shoot sports/fast moving wildlife.

Last edited by sb in ak; 07-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
07-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

K5, weather sealed and cheaper (in case it takes a permanent dive into the lake)
No sacrifice on IQ either and better DR too.

Less DOF on FF, probably not as important for your outdoor shots.
In fact the crop may help if you do birding.
07-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks alot for your nice replies. I just spend a couple of hours looking at the used market on Canon lenses here in Sweden. Every used Canon lens that interest me (weather sealed) costs at least the same amount as a new Pentax DA*. So basically it doesnt matter that I never see used DA* lenses for sale.
07-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #15

The K-5 is indeed nice and quiet. i like it very much..