Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Processing in Lightroom 3.6

Hi everyone, just received my K5 with the instruction book that will keep me out of life for a while, on top of that Lightroom installed on the computer and with me trying to learn both, almost makes me a geek (not that there is anything wrong with that). Can someone please take a time to tell me step by step from importing files to closing them. I can get the files to lightroom, I can work on them, in a basic sort of way, but after I finish working with the file what do I do. I want to rename and save the retouched photo in raw format (or dng), i also want to send that file to photoshop to work on it some more and save as jpeg or psd. (Any reason why saving in psd is better than jpeg?) Can I then delete the original file that was imported to LR? Anything else that will be usefull? Thank you for your help, Danny

07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

That requires a little more than a post to a forum thread. I would suggest you try slrlounge.com They have a really great walkthrough/tutorial on LR3 and 4.
07-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #3

There are lots of tutorials in video format which you would find quite helpful - just do a Google search for lightroom 3 tutorials; Photoshop Lightroom 3 Essential Training | Video Tutorial from lynda.com might be worth a look.

If your Processor speed is up to (and your pocket) Lightroom 4 has a more user friendly interface allowing +/- adjustment as opposed to just + adjustment on Lightroom 3.
07-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend a book like Scott kelby's on lightroom 3. A lot has to do with using presets. 95 percent of work can be done in lightroom. The reason to use PSD files is that it saves in layers so that the files are less destructively effected by changes you have made than, say, jpegs are.

07-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The reason to use PSD files is that it saves in layers so that the files are less destructively effected by changes you have made than, say, jpegs are.
I would advise saving the Lightroom processed files in DNG - this preserves the original file albeit JPG or PEF allowing changes to be made or to completely reset back to the original without loosing anything in the process.