Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Just got a Yongnuo 560II for my K-5 - Help!

Hi there,

As per the title, I've been trying out my new flash, and off-camera, I can only get it to sync with the K-5 if the K-5 is set to regular flash, and the flash is set to S2.

Every other combination doesn't seem to work - the speedlite flashes but not in sync.

Can anyone help?

07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is correct behavior...In M, S1 and Strobo mode, the preflash of the on camera flash will trigger the dumb slave on the YN560ii. S2 mode was designed to see the preflash and wait a moment longer so that it syncs with the exposure.
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe the 560II is a P-TTL flash unit.

S2 mode tells the flash to only flash AFTER it's received a pre-flash from the camera. It may also flash if it receives two flashes from another source within a certain time limit.

S1 mode tells it to flash the minute it gets a flash from the camera (main or pre-flash) or another flash.

M mode tells it to flash when the hotshoe fires. Off camera, this mode won't do anything unless you're using a remote optical sensor connected to the flash via it's hotshoe.

You can adjust the on-camera flash to be a controller flash, it will emit a small flash sequence but doesn't impact the overall exposure too much (supposedly).
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I understand about mode S2, but what don't understand is why the camera and flash only sync when the camera is in regular flash mode.

In wireless, as I say, it doesn't flash in sync, and as I understand it, wireless mode is the only mode in which the camera's flash can be told to falsh as a controller only and not effect exposure.