Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

Pentax usage with Eye-Fi cards

I am considering purchasing the Eye Fi Pro X2 for my Pentax K5 and Ipad for the studio, I have done some reading on the card itself and understand its basics however in the articles I am reading it lists compatible camera have to be SDHC ready. However the cameras listed in the articles don't include Pentax at all. Anyone have any information on this?? Thanks in Advance. Caroline

07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wondered this a while back myself. Anyone got some insight? (Pretty sure it would work, just never seen any info on it having been done)
07-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
I hate to make the purchase and find out it doesn't work. I already own 2- battery packs that they swore up and down worked with my pentax flash, sent the adapters and yea, nope!
07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i have used it with my ipad and when I had my K-x. This was sometime last year. It seemed to work ok, but the app on the device was version 1.0 and needed a bit more polish...

The nice thing is you can set the card to endless mode, and it will just copy all the pics over to your device (tablet, phone or desktop/laptop)...

as for the transferring speed from the card to the device it took about 5 seconds or so to transfer. I didn't really see any difference in card performance from a Class6 compared to a Class10.

I did return it about a week later. Mostly cause the app for the device just wasn't ready in view. Also for $79 or $99(RAW) cards you can easily get a couple of 64gb SD cards.

I am hoping they come out with a bigger size card than 8gb...

07-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
So it will only transfer to one device or can you pick and choose which photos go over to it? I have a desktop in my studio as well as a stand coming for the Ipad...
I like to show clients the pics but would want them saved to the desktop
07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

I have used the card to download to an iPad2 without any problems. I only download JPEGs as raw takes too long. I use ShutterSnitch as the app on the iPad to receive and view the pictures. Helpful on macro shots to check focus. Learned to use it from a pro shooting home interiors.

07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the card with my K-x with no issues.
I have not tested with the K-5 - will check and let you know.

Edit: - just tested it with the K-5 - works great, as intended. I updated the card to latest firmware before my test.

Last edited by crewl1; 07-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
07-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
Keep me informed Larry! I read the link provided, maybe I'm an idiot but how do I know I have that latest firmware in the camera? Its only 4 months old but who knows how long it sat on the shelf??
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go the website and download the latest software for your computer.

When you run the software and plug in the card to the computer the software will let you know if it needs updating.

To decide what to upload and where there is a little gear icon on the software next to the card icon. There you have a few tabs that let you set up the network and what items you want to load, if you are going to have it do it automatically, etc.

I don't have a practical application for it yet since I am a hobbyist still learning, so not sure how useful it is in a pro situation - I'll leave that to better folks here.

I only tested the internet connected method where you have an account on eye-fi and they pass the files down to your system, I believe that is how it works. There is a direct connection option which I guess is what some folks use to send to their iPad exclusively. With the internet option I expect you can get the files wherever you log into your account from.

Last edited by crewl1; 07-13-2012 at 10:53 AM.
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Banned

What speed are we talking about with transferring files?
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have a 10x30 foot studio space, it works great BUT sometimes folks stand over me when I shoot, this way I am thinking they can stand aside and see what I see, still trying to justify it though...
07-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
I am thinking the ideal situation is shooting raw /jpeg and not allowing ALL but only some of the pics to get to them
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't see that it allows that much granular control but I have not installed the device apps, you may want to test the iPad app to find out before buying.
07-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #15

I have not timed an individual file, rather I use it as a check when I am finished shooting a scene to see if I need to re-shoot a certain shot. The pro I watched using it did not have his JPEG set to large size, rather a small JPEG as he was checking composition and lighting.