Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anybody found out about this on their K-5 also?

With the lens fine-tuning ability on the K-5 only being able to do up to +10 or -10 for front and back focusing on individual lenses, I found out that even at +10 that my DA* 50-135 f2.8 would still backfocus just a tiny bit. However when I set it to +10 in individual settings, as well as another +5 on the all lenses sittings, I found out that it gives a total of +15 which puts my DA* 50-135 f2.8 in exact focus without FF or BF. With my 18-55 WR kit lens, it is perfect at -5 on individual settings, however since I had to put all lenses correction to +5, I had to adjust the individual setting for this lens to -10 to compensate for the +5 on all lens settings.

Odd huh?

07-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting, but unfortunate for shooters using multiple lenses frequently
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Odd indeed, because the "Apply One" and "Apply All" settings are supposed to be mutually exclusive (i.e. only one is used at any given time).

Are you sure your testing procedure is foolproof ?
07-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i havent tried this but i have noticed that my cameras are the ones off...1 camera i set to +3 for all lens and the other which is older +8..interestingly enough i didn't have an issue with either camera until recently and wondered if it changed because it is now hot...i have no idea but at the moment it is what it is

07-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
With the lens fine-tuning ability on the K-5 only being able to do up to +10 or -10 for front and back focusing on individual lenses, I found out that even at +10 that my DA* 50-135 f2.8 would still backfocus just a tiny bit. However when I set it to +10 in individual settings, as well as another +5 on the all lenses sittings, I found out that it gives a total of +15 which puts my DA* 50-135 f2.8 in exact focus without FF or BF. With my 18-55 WR kit lens, it is perfect at -5 on individual settings, however since I had to put all lenses correction to +5, I had to adjust the individual setting for this lens to -10 to compensate for the +5 on all lens settings.

Odd huh?
I suggest you use PhotoME or EXIFTool to check the actual value of the resulting AF Adjustment. What you say conflicts with previous experience.
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll post samples showing results tonight or tomorrow, busy with friends and Dark Knight Rising midnight show today =P
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok here it is you guys. I found out that it's actually exactly in focus at +10 and NOT +10 & +5, I must've looked it wrong yesterday because I did 8x zoom in my camera to calibrate the DA* 50-135

Here is 100 percent up-close of the photos. Cropped in photoshop to show up-close of where I focused, and unedited in any other way. I focused on the red On/Off button of the vacuum cleaner. All photos were taken at f2.8 and 135mm on the K-5.

This first picture was taken with +10 individual lens correction along with another +5 in all lens correction.

This second picture was taken with +10 individual lens correction only.

07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a question:

Is the scale limit of 5/10 the real limit with the K5?
My K200D does not officially support AF adjustment, but offers it in debug mode, and it is just a global setting for all lenses.

The scaling shows -120...+120 in steps of 10 [micrometers], and it also shows the actual cumulative setting.
If I want to set it to +240, I set it twice to +120 and each time confirm it.
Consequently, if I then want to reset to to zero, I must set it twice to -120.

Of course, as the menu doesn't officially exist, there is nothing about it in the manual. K200D users had to explore about this function themselves.

When I changed my focussing screen, I also found out that the best fitting global correction (in micrometers) seems to offer exactly the needed correction in thickness of the shim of the screen (provided there was no BF/FF prior to the screen change). At least with my camera and screen it gave the correct value.