Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Isn't that what focus and compose using centre spot AF does?
Plus who has time to fiddle with selecting individual AF points out of the 11 you have to choose from?
I do. It isn't like it takes that long. OK button centers it and at most two button pushes more gets you to your auto focus point (I very seldom use the two outermost points, since they aren't cross type anyway). I much prefer this to focus and recompose, since the act of recomposing can shift your focal plane.

07-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do. It isn't like it takes that long. OK button centers it and at most two button pushes more gets you to your auto focus point (I very seldom use the two outermost points, since they aren't cross type anyway). I much prefer this to focus and recompose, since the act of recomposing can shift your focal plane.

Agree and I do use this a lot too. Sometimes the points don't match where I want to focus and make me spoil the framing. Sadly this is due to lack of sufficient AF points and I revert to MF in such situations.
07-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No No, don't use AF-C and centre spot Focus point, then re-compose, the camera will just refocus on whatever is in the centre spot, so if you focus on something using centre spot, then move your composition to be the way you want it what you wanted to be infocus will not be.

Centre spot and AF-S then recompose, but do watch out when using very shallow DoF, don't move the camera at big angles, this changes the focal plain too much sometimes and you wont have anything you want infocus.

Only other thing for quick shots, Use LV, set it to face recognition, If you had used that setting for that photo, the Face recognition of LV would have locked on his face and locked focus there.
07-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
since the act of recomposing can shift your focal plane.
Can indeed, but depending on the lens, aperture and subject distance. Most vulnerable would be some scenarios of thin DOF - telephoto shooting at close distances, shooting 20 -100mm wide open with fast primes at close to moderate distances where the target is a very very specific point (classically an eye) etc.

I'm pretty sure that the OP's pic would not have have had any focal plane problems as a result of using focus-recompose.