Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weird noise!

When mounted on a tripod, with liveview on and shakereduction off, my K5 is making very scary noises. It sounds like the sensor is bouncing around: Click/Clack/Click/clack. Also the liveviewscreen seems to switch back and forth between two images.

I've never had this happen before, I've been a happy K5 user for over a year now.

What am I doing wrong?

07-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's perfectly normal- do a forum search for "clunk noise" and you'll see why

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's perfectly normal- do a forum search for "clunk noise" and you'll see why
Yeah, I knew about the clunk. It was the first thing I notice when I took it out of the box when I just got it. A quick search on PF re-assured me. But this noise in liveview was something I never heard before. Very very loud. I swear it never happened before.

One more thing though, it was pointed at an all black background. So there was a black void on the LV screen.
07-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Aah, that sounds like SR during LV then. It can get pretty loud depending on how much it's doing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Aah, that sounds like SR during LV then. It can get pretty loud depending on how much it's doing.
SR was switched off though. I always switch it off when mounted on a tripod.
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
When mounted on a tripod, with liveview on and shakereduction off, my K5 is making very scary noises. It sounds like the sensor is bouncing around: Click/Clack/Click/clack. Also the liveviewscreen seems to switch back and forth between two images.

I've never had this happen before, I've been a happy K5 user for over a year now.

What am I doing wrong?
Well, according to my ample experience (and surprise in the beginning); if you depart from a status in LV and then take the picture (thus departing from an exposed sensor, thus upped mirror and opened shutter), the mirror which was up in LV will go down after the picture is taken. Then the 'preview' of the token shot will be shown, once the preview show is ended (lasting as long as you programmed the camera for) then the mirror will be upped again in order to show the LV.
So, the sequence would be: up for LV, stay up for the shot, down for the preview, up for the LV . But if you take the shot with the release button on the camera, the the mirror will be lowered to perform an AF, and then upped to shoot, thus adding two mirror movements to the sequence, if you use a cable release these last tow mirror flops will not happen and no extra AF will be performed neither. The AF done by pushing the camera's exposure button is not performed the same way as the AF performed during LV with a cable release.
That might be the cause of what you described as "Click/Clack/Click/Clack": the noise made by the mirror.
Note that the shutter is producing a little noise to, just before the shot (opening), after the exposure (closing) and after the preview then opening for the LV...

I sencerely hope that you understood what I was trying to tell
And I do hope that I am NOT getting lost in translation (or just would like to be...)

Last edited by philippe; 07-23-2012 at 08:05 AM.
07-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Switching back and forth between two images? Can you clarify that? What images - the scene in front of the camera?

07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Switching back and forth between two images? Can you clarify that? What images - the scene in front of the camera?
I think that he is trying to say that the camera is switching between the image in LV and the one that was freshly shot and shown in preview. These two images can (should) look the same if the camera is not moved in between, he said that his camera was mounted a tripod...
07-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No pictures were taken yet. It shows what's in front of the camera. Only it switch back and forth between two versions of what's in front of it. As if the sensor really is bouncing, and shows a pictures from the one end, and one from the other.
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

But you don't see motion between the two images?
07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But you don't see motion between the two images?
Correct, no movement.
07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That sounds quite odd - and I cannot suggest any solution.

If shake reduction is off and going to LV mode causes your camera to make those sounds and generate those images without you actually firing the shutter, then something must be off with the software..
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just did some more experimenting. And it certainly has something to do with my black background... So, I'm a bit more relaxed now. For some reason it confuses it? When just did the exact same thing on the tripod in my back garden and there was no problem. But when facing my backgroud, it's back to chaos again.
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Sounds like a faulty SR to me, what if you take a picture with a fairly long shutter time, does it turn out ok?
I don't see how the background could affect anything, except the auto focus, does it happen when you are focusing?
07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do a system reset. Might fix things up.