Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
But then Hyperprogram is manual with auto ISO, which is TAv, but it also allows the camera, when there isn't time to set it up, to snap off a shot by adjusting basic parameters on its own, but then go back to manual without having to fiddle with the mode dial.
The ISO doesn't change in Hyper(just checked).

07-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
The ISO doesn't change in Hyper(just checked).
Incorrect. In Auto ISO it does. I know because that's what I use and I am verifying it as we speak.
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It changes in TAv NOT in Hyper-Programl(I checked again too).
07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again - I always thought Hyper Program mode allowed your camera to switch between Av and Sv very fast, and go back to Program by hitting the green button. Does Hyper Program actually allow FULL MANUAL mode?

I know that the program line can adjust how the Hyper Program determines the aperture or shutter speeds, but I didn't see anywhere that says Hyper Program allows FULL MANUAL.

07-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
It changes in TAv NOT in Hyper-Programl(I checked again too).
I think there's confusion here.

Can you tell me how my ISO is changing when I'm in program and dialing in aperture and shutter manually?
07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hyper-Program sets the aperture/shutter speed automatically(fixed ISO chosen by the user). You can override the settings if you don't like them(I do it all the time). TAv allows the EXACT same operation with the only difference being the camera WILL change the ISO. If you think the ISO is too high, manipulate the dials and it will change(I just checked).

I guess I'm not too old to learn something new.

@snake,

I dunno. I tested my camera with an MF "A" lens.

Addendum:

I just tried my '31 with the lens in the "A" setting and the operation for both modes were exactly the in both modes

@Jin,

In SV, you change the ISO and the camera changes the shutter/aperture as needed. The LCD does not display the word "Hyper" as it does in the Program mode.

Last edited by tabl10s; 07-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
Banned

I'm using F/FA lenses and I have Auto ISO available in Program. That's all. Don't know why there's a dispute that it doesn't allow for auto ISO in program.

07-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are you physically in Program? I just read a post from member Devorama explaining that his Pentax "Q" doesn't have TAv, so he set the camera to Tv and had the ISO set to "Auto" and it worked.
07-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Banned

No, spiritually.
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's how to set ISO to Auto in P mode, as opposed to fixed which is the default, and the one I have always used as I want to control ISO generally.

Press info button to display main screen- i.e "P! Aperture, Shutter, ISO. Press ISO button, the ISO box will be highlighted. Press green button to set ISO to Auto. To return to manual ISO setting, use real dial whilst ISO box is highlighted. Instruction on bottom right of screen shows the green button is the one to push
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you read my post where I referred to Devorama and the one from Stephen? You read the manual and still didn't understand your camera.
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Here's how to set ISO to Auto in P mode, as opposed to fixed which is the default, and the one I have always used as I want to control ISO generally.

Press info button to display main screen- i.e "P! Aperture, Shutter, ISO. Press ISO button, the ISO box will be highlighted. Press green button to set ISO to Auto. To return to manual ISO setting, use real dial whilst ISO box is highlighted. Instruction on bottom right of screen shows the green button is the one to push
There is no need to press info button to change between auto/manual ISO.

- Hold down ISO-button and press green button for enable auto-ISO.
- Hold down ISO-button and turn rear dial for disable auto-ISO and select ISO manually.
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
TSo in that light, what would be the difference between TAv and P (the latter where one can select auto ISO and still control aperture and shutter)?
The difference between TAV and Hyper-Program + auto-ISO is like the difference between full manual and Av or Tv except that ISO is on auto.

You use TAv when you need to control both aperture and shutter speed, Hyper-P can be used when it is enough to control one of them. The great thing about Hyper-P is that it is a very flexible mode that quickly can switch between Av and Tv modes. Adjust Aperture and camera goes into Hyp-Av and adjust shutter speed and camera go into Hyp-Tv. Press green button to go back into Hyp-P.

- In TAv you manually set aperture and shutter speed and camera adjust ISO. Exposure compensation adjust ISO.
- In Hyp-Av + auto-ISO you manually set aperture and the camera set shutter speed and ISO, and exposure comp. adjust shutter speed.
- In Hyp-Tv + auto-ISO you manually set shutter speed and the camera set aperture and ISO, and exposure comp. adjust aperture.
07-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
There is no need to press info button to change between auto/manual ISO.

- Hold down ISO-button and press green button for enable auto-ISO.
- Hold down ISO-button and turn rear dial for disable auto-ISO and select ISO manually.
Thank you for this info!
I had auto ISO set up, but did not know how to get it to work.
I'm in 7th heaven!
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Fogel, thanks. This thread was getting confusing. I also wanted to be sure of the difference between Tav and Hyperprogram. Hyperprogram is nice, but it does not replace Tav in my opinion. I adore using manual mode on my k-x, but the lack of auto-iso made it harder to use and so I settle for Av mode most of the time. Tav mode gives me the right controls I want (shutter and aperture) without me worrying so much about noise (based on the k-5/k-30 sensor).