Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 ME Viewfinder Cap

I can't for the life of me find my viewfinder cap that came with the K5. Now, I am getting interested in trying some long exposure daytime photography. I can't find these listed at B and H, or Henry's here in Canada. Does anyone know where I could get one? Further, are these really necessary, and are there are any substitutes if the original cap can no longer be acquired?

07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Electrical Tape
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rails on the K-5 should be the same as for the K-7 and K-x/r as the diopter attachments that fit one fit them all. If you have one for any of those cameras they ought to fit. Or you could use gaffers/electrical tape.
07-24-2012, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #4

The K10D came with the same ME eyepiece cap. I bought some used film era caps from B & H for $2.98 USD last year when they had them in stock. They fit perfectly. Both the K10D and the K5 use the Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53. The Eyepiece Blind M is the replacement part for the ME eyepiece cap on the US Pentax Webstore. Try calling parts department at the Canadian Pentax Service Center.

PentaxWebstore.com:Eyepiece Blind M Eyepiece Blind M

07-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies. I don't have any earlier bodies than the K5 other than my old film SF10!! Electrical tape is a good idea although I was hoping for a "cleaner" solution. I really appreciate your suggestions Not a Number, and I will contact Canadian Pentax re the Blind M. Thanks for the link on this. The thought just occurred to me now though, this might be a great "niche" application for my K-01 since it doesn't have an OVF for any stray light leak.

Last edited by fotogaffer; 07-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.
07-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #6

As long as the lens isn't pointing upward you can just hang a (rear) lens cap, Kodak film cannister/cap (black or gray), etc. over the eyepiece. That's what I do in a pinch if I've forgotten the cap. At least Minolta had a way to attach their caps to their straps so it was always handy. And I wish the Pentax bodies had somewhere you could stash the hot shoe cover so you won't lose it.

You can find the caps on eBay. If you know someone who owns a film era Pentax and they still have the boxes the cap is probably still there.
07-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I wish the Pentax bodies had somewhere you could stash the hot shoe cover so you won't lose it.
Some of Pentax older straps had pockets on each side of the strap where you could put the covers or even the IR remote control when not used. At least the strap for MZ-series had this, and those straps are much wider than Pentax straps for DSLR.

07-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Some of Pentax older straps had pockets on each side of the strap where you could put the covers or even the IR remote control when not used. At least the strap for MZ-series had this, and those straps are much wider than Pentax straps for DSLR.
Even the thinner ones on the ZX30s had small pockets for the cap that are now perfect for SD cards

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171466-wh...ml#post1861974
09-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I can't for the life of me find my viewfinder cap that came with the K5. Now, I am getting interested in trying some long exposure daytime photography. I can't find these listed at B and H, or Henry's here in Canada. Does anyone know where I could get one? Further, are these really necessary, and are there are any substitutes if the original cap can no longer be acquired?
Hi, just been out today doing some daytime long exposures - 30 secs +, and yes you absolutely need a viewfinder cap - the whole image gets slightly washed out and there are faint red lines across the entire image. I dont have a cap supplied in the box so I will have to find somewhere in the UK to get one.

Cheers.
09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fumble Quote
Hi, just been out today doing some daytime long exposures - 30 secs +, and yes you absolutely need a viewfinder cap - the whole image gets slightly washed out and there are faint red lines across the entire image. I dont have a cap supplied in the box so I will have to find somewhere in the UK to get one.

Cheers.
Of course
Usually you have an eye covering the viewfinder, or if you don't exposures are really short so not a lot of light thru the viewfinder gets in.
Once the mirror is flipped up, the viewfinder is a great way for unwanted light to enter and hit your sensor.
09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Looks like they are currently backordered but they are available.
09-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote

Looks like they are currently backordered but they are available.
Thanks so much for the link!
01-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

So that's what that thing was....? Lol I couldn't for the life of me figure out, and now that I have read this post I of course lost it, somewhere or threw it out :P

Thanks for the info!
01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wear a baseball cap for your shoot and when you are ready to open the shutter, take the baseball cap off of your head and put it over the top of the camera. Use a baseball cap that is a solid dark color, no mesh.