Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
old K-5 issues but new to me.. new-camera envy?

I brought the K-5 camping last weekend, and along with it came a red Lumix GF2 for raw shooting and AF video (body with ~100 shots for $175!). So all of a sudden the K-5 goes silly on me Friday when the mirror double-slapped several times. I also tried a couple of HDR shots and when the mirror returned the lens was clearly out of focus! I've done this so little that it's no big deal but I'll need to try that again a couple of times - at least one HDR did work but two did not. These events were with a freshly-charged battery, which apparently triggers some K-5 anomalies.

All this 'forced' me to use the GF2 on Friday, a curious camera with a touch-screen interface and the old G1 12M sensor which is fine to iso 1250 but limited DR.. not a shining star in the sensor universe. Images looked a tad better than my old G1, so the supporting chips improved when video was introduced. It's decently fun and it fits in my cargo-pant pocket with the 14-42 attached, but several Saturday shots with the K-5 were real winners. By then the battery had drained enough, I guess, as no double-slaps occurred that day.

I'll toss in a shot or two later, they're all still in the cameras. K-5 shots were with the Rikenon 28, Sigma 50 macro and 15 fisheye.. including some as I waded hip-deep into the lake no WR lenses but we survived. The HDRs were with the all-manual 28mm.

07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have the K5 mirror slap issue. Welcome to the club. I know it well. My ultimate solution will be the K5 going to CHRIS for repair but for now, it's battery management. Don't fully charge your batteries but if you do turn on video for a bit to drain the battery down a bit. It will go away.

Interestingly, my daughter bought a (red) GF2 last year and we took it on our fall vacation. It is a nice camera to play with. It's ok but the menus on that puppy are a bit challenging. The LCD is hard to use in bright sun. I have no envy of the GF2 as my K5 blows it away (when it's not slapping at me). One issue with the GF2 is the battery life, not good has been our experience. It drains quickly. Oh, we have the 14-42 lens and the 20mm lens (very sharp little bugger). So great, the K5 has battery issues when fully charged and the GF2 has battery discharge issues. Such is digital photography life.
07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the hint on draining the battery, live view and movies are not high on my list (despite the GF2's reason for being here - pathetic huh ).
I've updated my notes in the serial-number database. I hope that most K-5 folks do that over the months/years.