Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Wait for k-3, even if its not good or priced too high, the k-5's price will be even lower by then, and if rumours are true that it will be announced at photokina, you don't have long to wait

08-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use the heck out of my Kx, but those are all features that I miss. If I were only getting one DSLR, I would want those features. I definitely use the cable release, and find it a much better solution that IR for a lot of circumstances, such as 1) macro photography, where getting at the right angle to use IR can be tricky, 2) wireless TTL--not available with IR, 3) any situation where you want to lock focus while using a cable release or 4) use of a long range RF remote. There are workarounds for many of these, and I don't do these things all the time, but it comes up enough to need the cable capability on at least one of my bodies.

One caveat, though, I have found that while the cable release function works with absolute reliability on my K10/20d, it has quirks on my K5. I have had the K5 lock up to the point of needing to remove the battery at times when used with the cable, and I have had it do strange things with flash sync when used with an RF remote that syncs like a cable. It could just be my copy of the K5, but if the cable use is critical, then trying the K30 or waiting for the next model might be advisable.
08-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that it is very unlikely that K-5s will disappear from stores on the day that the K-3 is announced, and even if they do, there will be many used K-5s coming on the market. So, unless you have a pressing need for a new camera, I would recommend waiting. I was in a similar situation and could not wait for the K-3 release, so I bought a used K-5 in mint condition at a very reasonable price.

Rob