Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Time to keep or sell Pentax gear?

I came from Canon about 2.5 years ago and really impressed with Pentax color/contrast and ergonomics - especially the K-5. Now with Ricoh discontinuing the K-5 leaving Pentax DSLR future hanging in the balance, is it time to leave the system all together? I've accumulated a few decent PK-mount lenses (see my signature) and hate to part with them, but concerned if Pentax gear will be devalued soon with its uncertain outlook. Any opinion on this? Thanks.

08-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They discontinued it because it's 2 1/2 years old and it's time for a replacement. They didn't discontinue it leaving the K-30 and K-01 as the only cameras bro.
08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax just released a mid-grade DSLR. They've got unreleased lenses on their roadmap. This is ordinary behavior for a company expecting to announce products at Photokina next month. Ricoh has owned Pentax for only a year; they wouldn't buy Pentax just to discontinue the brand's products.

That said, if you're still hesitant, I could probably help you find some of those lenses a new home.
08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
They discontinued it because it's 2 1/2 years old and it's time for a replacement. They didn't discontinue it leaving the K-30 and K-01 as the only cameras bro.
I know what you're saying, but others don't just discontinue with their products without a replacement, look at Canon and Nikon: 5DII -> 5DIII, D700 -> D800 just to name a few...

08-13-2012, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is DOOOOMED. Just like Apple in 1997.
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
That said, if you're still hesitant, I could probably help you find some of those lenses a new home.
I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility.
08-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sigh...Pentax....

08-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mxlinn Quote
devalued soon with its uncertain outlook. Any opinion on this? Thanks.
This is the brightest point in Pentax (recent) history. The k-5 has had a successful 2.5 year career with numerous accolades. Hard to come by when you are such a small company compared to the big boys. It is being discontinued methodically to clear inventory for a new model. The clearest sign of a new camera is the discontinuation of the previous model. Do you really think they would discontinue the flagship of their line if they had nothing coming along? Why would they? If they did not need the production line, and to clear inventory they could just keep on making them, they are still selling.

All that said, if you are leaving I might be interested in that FA35/2.
08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I came from Canon about 2.5 years ago and really impressed with Pentax color/contrast and ergonomics - especially the K-5. Now with Ricoh discontinuing the K-5 leaving Pentax DSLR future hanging in the balance, is it time to leave the system all together? I've accumulated a few decent PK-mount lenses (see my signature) and hate to part with them, but concerned if Pentax gear will be devalued soon with its uncertain outlook. Any opinion on this? Thanks.
The issue of discontinuation has already been well addressed at various times in this forum (ohhh Kr is being discontinued, what will we do??)... so don't fret about that. But just as a matter of general interest... is there something wrong with your gear that you would *not* want to keep using it whether theres a new semi-pro model or not? Are you buying your cameras and lenses to use, or as an investment? The thing is, your camera isn't going to suddenly not be acceptable, if Ricoh did NOT bring out another model... or even if they do...

You came to Pentax because of the quality. Keep that in mind as you debate with yourself about whether to stay. The quality hasn't changed... have you? If the answer is yes, then sell up, by all means. If the answer is no, then stick with it. I don't think theres any disappointment awaiting you.
08-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I know what you're saying, but others don't just discontinue with their products without a replacement, look at Canon and Nikon: 5DII -> 5DIII, D700 -> D800 just to name a few...
Why exactly does it matter to you if the camera is in production or not? You already have one. My K100D has been out of production for a very long time and it is just as good as it was when it was new.

Discontinuing the K-5 just means its replacement will be here soon. Pentax has limited resources for producing cameras, they can't afford to keep producing the old ones while bringing out new ones. It is more important to focus on the new models than keep pumping out legacy models.
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Will you be shipping to Australia? I'd like your D-FA 100mm WR f2.8 for my discontinued model K-7.
08-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax has always been different, they discontinue an existing line, then release a new replacement product. Possibly because they dont have enough production lines to keep producing the old line and the new line at the same time. Its fairly obvious that there will be a K3 announced at Photokina. In all likelihood it will be a FF and it will be around a price designed to compete with the rumoured D600, but with better features - WR, SR, magnesium body, approx US$1800.
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My k-x's been discontinued a long time. Fortunately for me, that doesn't mean anything.
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax will probably announce the K3 or whatever number they chose to use at Photokina in what a month? A bit premature this whole conversation. As has been said many times here they're basically just selling off the K5 stock and giving the new K-30 some room to breathe before they give it some serious competition. Which is smart of them actually. For all we know they could be releasing several new models at Photokina. Just wait and let them do their thing!!!
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Now with Ricoh discontinuing the K-5 leaving Pentax DSLR future hanging in the balance, is it time to leave the system all together?
It certainly is. Luckily for you, I'm in the market for a K5. PM with your price. ;-)