Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
what do you usually set the auto iso range at when using TAv ?

08-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
I set the auto iso range from 160-6400 which works for me most of the time. This range is set consistent with highlights and highest shadow correction.
08-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Banned

K5- If I use hyper program, I get to controll shutter and aperture and it selects ISO when I'm in auto-ISO. Same as TAv.
08-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

80 - 3,200 though I'll occasionally allow that to go to 6,400 in exceptional circumstances (i.e. no other option as I'm already wide open and need to maintain a minimum shutter speed).

08-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
Banned

80/160-6400.

I also set finer steps for the ISO range. Don't know if they extend to Auto-ISO, however. My dark, concert lenses are F2, so I'm at 6400 and bumping against the limit. However, I think rather than the upper range, the curve of auto ISO is a bigger deal.
08-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
K5- If I use hyper program, I get to controll shutter and aperture and it selects ISO when I'm in auto-ISO. Same as TAv.
Quoted directly from the manual...

P - Hyper-program
QuoteQuote:
Automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to obtain a proper exposure according to Program Line when taking pictures. You can use the front and rear e-dials to switch between shutter priority and aperture priority.
TAv - Shutter & Aperture Priority
QuoteQuote:
Automatically sets the sensitivity to obtain a proper exposure with the set shutter speed and aperture value according to the brightness of the subject.
Program mode automatically sets the shutter and aperture based on the Program Line that you specify. The Program Line can be set to Auto, Normal, Hi-speed Priority (shutter), DOF Priority - deep (closed aperture), DOF Priority - shallow (open aperture), or MTF Priority (best setting for lens with supported lenses).

TAv mode sets the ISO based on what YOU set the shutter and aperture to. If you change the aperture, the camera won't change the shutter speed and vice versa.
08-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Quoted directly from the manual...

P - Hyper-program

TAv - Shutter & Aperture Priority

Program mode automatically sets the shutter and aperture based on the Program Line that you specify. The Program Line can be set to Auto, Normal, Hi-speed Priority (shutter), DOF Priority - deep (closed aperture), DOF Priority - shallow (open aperture), or MTF Priority (best setting for lens with supported lenses).

TAv mode sets the ISO based on what YOU set the shutter and aperture to. If you change the aperture, the camera won't change the shutter speed and vice versa.
In program, the moment one touches either dial (depending on how they were set), it goes into Hyper S and/or Hyper A. Coupled with Auto-ISO, this is nearly identical to TAv, BUT with a significant difference- the manual control of the shutter and aperture can now be given back to the camera simply by pressing the green button. This is how I often use the camera when street shooting and going from a scene where I must manually set it, then back to leaving it to expose for itself when scenes come up and tehre's no time to set anything.

Additionally, TAv helps greatly for manual lenses, as I found out, so long as one shoots wide open (due to the mount's aperture control only allowing it to stay there).

08-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Tav is also great for shootingt low light concerts where you need a minimum shutter to prevent motion blur and also may want to stay a click or two from wide open aperture, then let the ISO be the variable.
08-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

In program, the moment one touches either dial (depending on how they were set), it goes into Hyper S and/or Hyper A. Coupled with Auto-ISO, this is nearly identical to TAv, BUT with a significant difference- the manual control of the shutter and aperture can now be given back to the camera simply by pressing the green button. This is how I often use the camera when street shooting and going from a scene where I must manually set it, then back to leaving it to expose for itself when scenes come up and tehre's no time to set anything.
P mode lets you choose either aperture or shutter speed, but not both. Unless there's a menu setting somewhere I don't know about... P mode is still very flexible with Pentax. I stay mostly in Av and TAv, but P mode in MTF line is good to have sometimes.

The one mode I have never used, though, is Sv.
08-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
P mode lets you choose either aperture or shutter speed, but not both. Unless there's a menu setting somewhere I don't know about... P mode is still very flexible with Pentax. I stay mostly in Av and TAv, but P mode in MTF line is good to have sometimes.

The one mode I have never used, though, is Sv.
Of course it does. Again, I use it. Touch whichever dial is set for shutter, it goes into HyperS, displaying it on the screen. Touch the dial for aperture, it goes to HyperA, displayed on the screen. This is also reflected in the manual.
08-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Additionally, TAv helps greatly for manual lenses, as I found out, so long as one shoots wide open (due to the mount's aperture control only allowing it to stay there).
There is a big difference between Hyper-P and TAv, In Hyper-P you control aperture OR shutter speed and the camera control the one you do not control. In TAv you control aperture AND shutter speed.
08-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I love TAv mode and use it more than any other.

However looking at your butterfly for me there is an issue straight away - why 1/1500 !? You never need that SS for a butterfly, 1/160 - 1/250 at rest and 1/500 or up to 1/800 for BIF. By setting your SS at 1/1500 your ISO has gone up to 3200 - which wasn't necessary IMHO.
Perhaps the image was captured hand-held on a windy day and to get the shot, the photographer had to take an awkward shooting stance that was not too steady? More the norm than the exception with these subjects, I've found.

Anyway, TAv is one of my default settings saved to a USER mode. When I take into the field, I dial to the saved USER mode that best fits the situation and all is good to go.

Cheers...
08-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #28

I tried it with my K10D, and didn't like. With the K5 I use it almost all the time, as it allows much higher ISO. Only for flash I use manual mode. TAV is very practical. Full control over all parameters. You just have to watch ISO, to avoid that it gets out of the best level for the shot. Cheers - Klaus
08-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course it does. Again, I use it. Touch whichever dial is set for shutter, it goes into HyperS, displaying it on the screen. Touch the dial for aperture, it goes to HyperA, displayed on the screen. This is also reflected in the manual.
Yes, either aperture or shutter speed at any one time. If you touch the dial to change aperture, the camera will control shutter speed. If you then change the shutter speed, the camera will take back control over aperture. You need TAv to set both at the same time, leaving only ISO to be set by the camera.

Edit: ...just as Fogel70 said above.

Last edited by savoche; 08-20-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added information
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
...I'm hoping that the K-5 replacement will allow for setting a lower limit for the shutter speed, like you can currently with auto ISO. I forget what camera it was that I was reading about that had that option. Being able to set the shutter speed limit could make using Av a little more appropriate at times...
I would like this feature too. The camera you are thinking about I believe is the Fuji X100. I wonder if that could be an updated firmware item.