Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 won't actuate shutter!!

Oh no! Just yesterday I was on a hike and after taking about 100 pictures during the course of the afternoon, I went to take a picture and the aperture just closed down but the mirror would not actuate and my K-5 wouldn't take a picture! After taking the battery out, etc. I turned the camera on and it said battery depleted. So this morning, I charged the battery and went out for another shoot— after taking 150+ pictures the camera all the sudden started acting up the same as it did yesterday. I took the card out, took the battery out (put it back in), removed the lens, etc. and it doesn't seem to help. The camera just won't snap any pictures. It closes down the aperture in the lens, but that's it. Also, when I stick it into liveview it's just a blinking yellow and black screen.

Any idea of what's wrong?

09-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need to take it to a service center.
09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Checked your SD door is closed tight?
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Genuine battery or generic?

09-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Try another battery. The one you have may be dying and doesn't provide what's needed.
09-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, first trouble shooting step should be to check if the battery has any issues.

I'd also check that the contacts are clean on both the battery, your charger, and inside the battery bay in the camera.

It's also a good idea to carry a spare with you in the field.
09-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Oh no! Just yesterday I was on a hike and after taking about 100 pictures during the course of the afternoon, I went to take a picture and the aperture just closed down but the mirror would not actuate and my K-5 wouldn't take a picture! After taking the battery out, etc. I turned the camera on and it said battery depleted. So this morning, I charged the battery and went out for another shoot— after taking 150+ pictures the camera all the sudden started acting up the same as it did yesterday. I took the card out, took the battery out (put it back in), removed the lens, etc. and it doesn't seem to help. The camera just won't snap any pictures. It closes down the aperture in the lens, but that's it. Also, when I stick it into liveview it's just a blinking yellow and black screen.

Any idea of what's wrong?
I am not sure whether this exactly fits your dilemma, but I have had a problem with my K5 showing the dreaded "Battery depleted" message. If you take a look at this thread:
Post No. 16 of this thread: (is mine, when I resurrected the thread)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/166940-battery-power-problem-criss-repair-2.html

and it may or not apply to you but I thought of sharing this just in case that would be your problem too. (or something similar).

Best of luck.

JP

09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm... It's OEM battery. I also tried another battery and that didn't fix it. It's a very sporadic thing because the camera is working right now...
09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Checked your SD door is closed tight?
Yep!

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Sounds like you need to take it to a service center.
That's really not what I want to hear right now because I've got a wedding to shoot in two weeks!

My nightmare is that half way through the wedding it will act up like this and then I'll be hanging out on a limb. Not. Good.
09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know if the battery ever needs 'conditioning'?
I always just pop it in the charger at the end of the day, maybe I should run it down now and then???
09-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Yep!

That's really not what I want to hear right now because I've got a wedding to shoot in two weeks!

My nightmare is that half way through the wedding it will act up like this and then I'll be hanging out on a limb. Not. Good.
If I remember correctly from your Sigma lens problems, aren't you within driving distance to CRIS? If so, they seemed to treat you very well as a walk-in customer before - maybe it might be worth the time to go there again? Or maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings?
09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings
Indeed. A lot of things can go wrong with a camera (dropped, stolen, battery problems etc). For important events you really need a backup.
09-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #13

My 2c; OEM or not, batteries can and do create all sorts of problems. It is amazing how many issues can be resolved by simply purchasing a couple of new batteries. That is ALWAYS the first route to take. Based on what has been said here, it is possible that the mirror mechanism got a little dirt in the wrong place and is intermittently sticking. If you are capable of cleaning this mechanism yourself, I would try that, but be careful as it is delicate. Otherwise, take it to a trusted service center for cleaning and/or repair.
One other thing - if you have that wedding to shoot, you can always rent camera/lenses for a very nominal amount especially for just a couple days.
Best of luck-
09-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If I remember correctly from your Sigma lens problems, aren't you within driving distance to CRIS? If so, they seemed to treat you very well as a walk-in customer before - maybe it might be worth the time to go there again? Or maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings?
You must be thinking of someone else, because I'm out in rural Montana.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. A lot of things can go wrong with a camera (dropped, stolen, battery problems etc). For important events you really need a backup.
Exactly, I bought a D700 as a second camera, but it doesn't use my pentax lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
My 2c; OEM or not, batteries can and do create all sorts of problems. It is amazing how many issues can be resolved by simply purchasing a couple of new batteries. That is ALWAYS the first route to take. Based on what has been said here, it is possible that the mirror mechanism got a little dirt in the wrong place and is intermittently sticking. If you are capable of cleaning this mechanism yourself, I would try that, but be careful as it is delicate. Otherwise, take it to a trusted service center for cleaning and/or repair.
One other thing - if you have that wedding to shoot, you can always rent camera/lenses for a very nominal amount especially for just a couple days.
Best of luck-
You're right, and I just got new batteries in the mail yesterday—tried them and they didn't fix the problem.
09-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #15

My k-5 had a similar episode a couple of days ago. After taking 150 shots, it just stopped. I could hear the aperture setting, but no shutter. Battery read full. I tried a variety of things - different exposure modes, turning off flash, manual focus, etc, but nothing worked. Back at home 20 mins later, it seemed to have recovered & worked fine.

Whatever came of your issue? Did you send it for service? I have a couple of weeks left on my warranty, so I'm looking to get this figured out ASAP...

Thanks,
Christine