Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Great post, I have the K5 and extremely happy. I am sure the new non Pentax owner of the new K-5 will be extremely happy and that group of non Pentax owner is huge

09-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another thing to consider from a marketting perspective, which shows that the marketting people may know what they are doing (hopefully, anyway).

As much as I love Pentax products, any big anouncements by them are likely to be overshadowed by anticipation of similar "Big New Products" from all the other camera manufacturers. It's smart for Pentax to wait and announce a new product line when they don't have to share the sport light with others. That way everyone can focus on what Pentax does best, namely produce excellent cameras with the best feel, handling, and performance available at reasonable prices.
09-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Great post and I for one am happy to see these new products.
2. My backup camera - my old trusty K20d - is gathering a bit more dust these days and I'd begun to think that a second K-5 might be a really nice shooting deal. Now, I have a new incentive and I'm getting interested in the K-5IIs.
3. Regardless, I'm going to take a bit of a wait for the full non-preresale firmware version product reviews to add up. Ok, actually I'm going to wait for my bank account to add up as well, but...as long as there are no dumb QA/QC screw up's (like a sensor stain) I'll be likely to buy one of them next year.

Edit: I have to say after reading all the moaning about slow AF on Pentax cameras and how it ought to be fixed and blah blah blah, they finally work on it and what do I hear now...more moaning about how this isn't much of an upgrade...yikes will we ever be happy with Pentax?

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 09-11-2012 at 06:10 AM.
09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Post. Positive Outlook for a Pentaxian (s). I love my K-5.

09-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

It's mostly current K-5 users that seem to be disapointed

As a K-7 owner who didn't see the need to upgrade to the K-5 I now have a nearly 4 year old camera that I want to move to a backup role. This is ideal for me I just need to see what the K5-IIs does to make up my mind.

Putting myself in the place of a K-5 owner I can see that they might have hoped for more but it seems to me that Pentax (Ricoh) is trying to make the best possible camera's in each of their classes (entry Level APS-c and High end APS-c)

We do have high expectations
09-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I for one am looking forward to being able to buy a camera with K5 dynamic range and much better AF than my K7!!
You and me both buddy!
09-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
Banned

Well I love the K-5 body and I hope it could stay around for a few more years. Just I hope they will come with a K-5 III next year with updated electronics (PRIME III and faster writing to the card) and make it an even better K-5.

09-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It is worth remembering how long other camera manufacturers have kept good cameras in their line-up, whilst also introducing newer models above and below them. Look how long the D700 (4 years) and 5D2 (4 years) stayed in production, for example. I think Nikon even kept the D90 in production for about 3 years.
09-11-2012, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I do love the fact that they keep K5 body. But then I also like the other features in K30 (AF, Focus Peaking, video mode 720 60p).
I hope for K3 they keep the K5 body but overhaul the internal sensor, all K30 and K5 improvements in K3. That's the camera I'll get.

But I believe for Pentaxian, this camera is target to K7, and K20 owner who didn't 'upgrade' with the K5. They will get the K5II.

One thing I like about is the lens announcement in the lens roadmap has been realized. I really want the new DA*16-85 (Looks like it), and see what is the "Limited zoom" is.
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I agree.

If one looks at the diversity of new products:

a. a new optical coating

b. a very long lens

c. A significant change in low light AF capability to f2.8 for K5II

d. Q-10 stuff

Then one has to come to the conclusion that Ricoh is serious about cameras.

I think it also means they are working on FF - not that i would buy one this year -=- but something is going on in the back room, i think.
I would add the stabilized lens for 645 system. Unless they have bought the in-lens stabilization off the shelf .
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
and see what the "Limited zoom" is.
I'm guessing a rework of the FA 20-35.
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I have been waiting for this moment a long time. A new Pentax, that will make the last one cheaper, without making me long for the new one. No AA filter is tempting, so is better AF, but a second hand K-5 might be a better deal. I just hope many start selling their K-5... (not going to happen...). My *istDs is getting tired (but still not giving up). An upcoming FF camera could make me want to wait though...
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
I checked Gizmodo this morning to find a piece on the Mk2. They are saying intro price body only is $1200. I have no problem with that. Do I recall correctly that the K5 was closer to $1800? No matter. I'll be hanging on to my K5 for a good while longer, happy knowing that when I do get a new Mk2 it'll not require 1/2 a totally new kit for a grip and batteries.( let alone lenses if a system-abandonment was in the cards ) Still, I would have much preferred a faster processor.
I only reentered Pentax recently, having a K200D in the mix already. Save minor irritations, the K5 is a great fit for me. Mk2 will just be a little better at a price I'll like when I finally get around to wanting new.
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm hoping this means more updates to the original K-5 firmware, but we haven't seen any back-porting since Ricoh showed up.
09-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Furthermore, what would you guys rather have: the demise of Pentax because of dedicating sparse resources to development of brandnew models without the market share to have some long-term income guarantee.
Sparse resources? When Ricoh bought Pentax everyone was excited because they were a huge corporation with mega resources.
Now people are talking about Ricoh like they are some tiny mom and pop shop.
Which one is it? Because quite honestly, I have seen very little change from the end of Hoya to now. The K-5 was designed under Hoya, and all Ricoh has done is tweaked, called it a K-5 II and called it a day.
Don't get me wrong, I love my K-5, it is the best camera I have ever owned, by far. But I want Pentax to make waves, and do something big and bold. I thought they had the resources under Ricoh to do that, now i am not so sure.