Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I honestly have to stop myself from both reading and responding to all of these threads now. So this is my last word on all of this. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to what the reviewers say (and not just the previews, I want fully flushed out, working model reviews). I seem to recall a similar flap when the K-5 was released...beyond that, I'm going out and take some pictures with my original K-5.

09-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote

They couldn't change the name, in fact I am surprised they are even trying to add a MkII title to it if the only thing changed is the AF system.

Compare this to the 5D and the 5D MkII. Canon's MkII came with:
Higher MP sensor
New Processor
Higher ISO
More focus points (61 vs 9)
Larger LCD (and resolution to match)
Better viewfinder coverage
Higher continuous drive
Larger exposure compensation
Larger AE bracketing

Obviously, some of those things the K-5 can't improve upon like viewfinder coverage. The fact is that while the K-5MkII is an upgrade, it is just barely an upgrade and everyone saying "cant get better than perfect" are fanboys. There is always room to improve even if it is on the lesser used features like 1 billion ISO or recording FPS.

Unless the new AF is absolutely incredible, this is is a pretty big letdown in my mind.

That said, i have been holding out for the new flagship (using a K10D) but again, unless the new AF is fantastic I will likely save the money and just get a used K5 while I wait for a real upgrade.
Strange comparison, the 5D was released in 2005 and in production for what, 4 or 5 years?

Call me whatever you like but the AFsystem seems to be completely overhauled and I quote:
QuoteQuote:
"a newly developed SAFOX X AF sensor that delivers the broadest autofocusing EV
range (-3 EV to +18 EV) in its class. especially when working in low light
conditions. The camera’s new, highly sensitive AF sensor enables photographers
to work with a luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to F5.6, which
increases the AF accuracy when using fast lenses. The AF sensor also includes an
upgraded AF algorithm as well as the Select-Area Expansion feature, which
automatically tracks the subject when it deviates from a pre-assigned selection
point, by assessing data from neighboring sensors.
"
In layman`s terms, that is 2 stops more than any other sonysensor out there. It means the AF will work in circumstances less than full moon. Even the big boys don`t have this kind of sensitivity so it looks (on paper) quite revolutionairy. And yes, I do agree on you with the video, the processor and the lack of focuspeaking but this is not just a minor upgrade. People have been complaining about the AFsystem for a long time and now that Pentax came through on several major points (allthough not proven yet) you and a lot of other guys still say it`s not enough. Tell me, when will it be enough? When you guys get a 645d with 1DS specs for the price of a K30?

With every release Pentax has made some people here tend to get negative, no problem with that except it is usually blown up out of proportion and seems to be contagious to others, creating a downward spiral on these forums.
Oh, and not trying to offend you but I wonder if you allready reached the limits of your K10d? If so, why wait for the next flagshipmodel to arrive so long if your old camera is holding you back? Even the K20d is a major upgrade over the K10d.

* Disclaimer:
I understand the need and frustration for some advanced or pro-shooters.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 09-12-2012 at 03:19 AM.
09-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
Veteran Member

So, if I am not mistaking, the K-5IIs has exactly the same sensor as the original K-5 but just the AA filter removed, that's all, besides the improved AF and a new processor?
Thus, the very same sensor should perform better due the the lack of AA and the new processor and the sharpness would be better too due to the removed AA and the better AF.
And the rear LCD is exactly the same too, it's just mounted differently without the 'air gap' for better viewing?
Then, theoretically, the K-5IIs will be a better performer, as a new camera would be, correct me if I am wrong...
If so, this is a step forward!
09-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
If so, this is a step forward!
Well yes but in a way the K30 was even more a step forward so the mkII is just underwhelming...

09-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well yes but in a way the K30 was even more a step forward so the mkII is just underwhelming...
Exactly, it isnt that the k5mkii wont be a great camera, obviously it will be since it was based on a great camera. I just dont get why they dont upgrade at least to the things the k 30 has as well. According to the k 30 review the prime m did make a difference and it records video as a better framerate. You shouldnt have to sacrifice anything for a brand new "flagship" camera.

As for me torturing myself, I have been in and out of photography and only recently started up again. Since I knew the new pentax would be announced in a few months I have been holding off.

And philip, only the mkIIs has the aa filter removed and neither have the upgraded processor in the k 30.
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #51

Photos: Albums
I love my k5 and I'm also excited that now they have improved on it. I love and appreciate good craftsmanship snd that is exactly what I think of every time I shoot with my pentax. Super excited about all the new products announced. No moans and groans from this mullet.
09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And philip, only the mkIIs has the aa filter removed and neither have the upgraded processor in the k 30.
I don't know if many people are actually using their Pentax DSLRs for video. Without active AF (while shooting), the usefulness of the video feature is greatly reduced. As far as I know, the only other (possibly) significant advantage for the K30 is the focus peaking, but if indeed the K5ii AF is greatly improved, I don't see that it's a big loss. I believe that there's a lot of things which the K5 does that the K30 doesn't when it comes to taking stills, and the reason I buy a DSLR is for stills! I have a camcorder for video which is better suited to that purpose. I'm really looking forward to testing of the K5ii and K5iis. I think a great camera just got better.

09-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #53
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
* the reason I buy a DSLR is for stills!
* I think a great camera just got better.

+1 on both
09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I don't know if many people are actually using their Pentax DSLRs for video. Without active AF (while shooting), the usefulness of the video feature is greatly reduced.
For the ones video with DSLR is intersting they want to do manual focus anyway.
People who want a video for family outings are far better with a camcorder, DSLR is a creative tool when it comes to video.
09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #55

I don't know if many people are actually using their Pentax DSLRs for video. Without active AF (while shooting), the usefulness of the video feature is greatly reduced. As far as I know, the only other (possibly) significant advantage for the K30 is the focus peaking, but if indeed the K5ii AF is greatly improved, I don't see that it's a big loss. I believe that there's a lot of things which the K5 does that the K30 doesn't when it comes to taking stills, and the reason I buy a DSLR is for stills! I have a camcorder for video which is better suited to that purpose. I'm really looking forward to testing of the K5ii and K5iis. I think a great camera just got better.
The point I am trying to make is that better technology exists in pentaxs lineup, video and processor, yet isnt included in the flag ship. Does it ruin the camera? No, but I can't believe how many people fail to see the problem.
09-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The point I am trying to make is that better technology exists in pentaxs lineup, video and processor, yet isnt included in the flag ship. Does it ruin the camera? No, but I can't believe how many people fail to see the problem.
Unfortunately "better" is a difficult thing to define. I would argue that the K5ii has been optimised for stills - we also haven't seen a hands on test which compares the K5ii and the K30 yet. Specifications won't always tell the whole story. It may be that despite the lack of the different CPU, the K5ii could be "better" as a still camera than the K30. At the moment I don't see a problem.
09-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #57

Unfortunately "better" is a difficult thing to define. I would argue that the K5ii has been optimised for stills - we also haven't seen a hands on test which compares the K5ii and the K30 yet. Specifications won't always tell the whole story. It may be that despite the lack of the different CPU, the K5ii could be "better" as a still camera than the K30. At the moment I don't see a problem.
True, we haven't seen a comparison between them, but I think it is safe to say that if it is using the processor found in the K-5 and not the one in the K-30, that this quote from the Pentax Forums K-30 review will likely still hold true.

QuoteQuote:
The K-30 features the same improved imaging processor found in the K-01, called PRIME M. It greatly improves overall camera performance compared to the K-5 and previous cameras. Images are displayed faster and can be cycled through more quickly in playback mode, instant preview has a shorter delay, and in-camera image processing has also sped up versus the K-5 and K-r. Most importantly, however, the new processor delivers a much smoother live view experience than in previous Pentax dSLRs--there is practically no latency at all unless you're shooting in extremely low light.

More Pentax news at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-30-review/k30-introduction.html#ixzz26RenHivy

TenZ.NL, no offense taken. As I mentioned earlier I have been in and out of photography quite a bit, with long periods of no shooting (something I'd very much like to change) so I just haven't been looking for an upgrade. I was taking quite a bit of pictures earlier this year and was waiting for the new model to be announced instead of jumping on the K-5 when it was nearing the end of its cycle.

The K-5Mkii looks like a great camera, and if the auto focus is as good as Pentax is making it sound I will likely still buy one because I do need to upgrade. I am just a little disappointed to see better processors on 2 other pentax cameras and the new flagship gets the old one. We'll see when people get their hands on it though.

Last edited by xfloggingkylex; 09-14-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added to the review quote
09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Glad you took it up oke
Your explanation sets thing more in perspective, at first it sounded like you have been holding off for a couple of years.

As for liveview that is something each user must decide for itself, I guess that depends on shootingstyle. Your K10d has no LV (k20d was the first i believe?) so you probably won`t notice the difference between the K01/K30 and the K5 (II). As for your upcoming upgrade you can`t go wrong with either the K5 or the MkII. I upgraded from a K20d to a K5 and it was a huge step forward as well in IQ, DR, processing-, focussing- and shootingspeed. Something you might want to consider: Surely the MKII is better than the K5 but the classic will be more bang for buck (a saving of aprox $700-800) and you will still not be dissapointed compared to your old K10d
09-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

True, we haven't seen a comparison between them, but I think it is safe to say that if it is using the processor found in the K-5 and not the one in the K-30, that this quote from the Pentax Forums K-30 review will likely still hold true.
None of the factors listed are as important to me as the ability of the camera to actually capture and reproduce an image. Sure, faster previews and shorter time to process would be nice, but personally I'm more interested in the various features that the camera provides to capture images, and the quality of the images it captures. Of course it would be nice to have faster image processing, but I'd prefer to have better AF and all the dials and adjustments which I've grown used to on the K7. My K200 takes great images too, but I really miss the dual dials and features like aperture bias in program mode which are present on the K7. Presumably the R&D effort required to rebuild the K5 circuitry and firmware with the newer CPU caused that option to take a back seat to correcting the issues which people had raised with the existing K5. Perhaps the new CPU you wish for will be in the (so far) mythical K3. My main complaints about my K7 are the AF under some circumstances, and the high ISO noise - both of which are already addressed by the K5, and the K5ii appears to do an even better job.

So - roll on Photokina and hands-on testing!

PS I don't use live view much because it sucks battery power like no tomorrow and AF in live view mode on the K7 is excruciatingly slow.

Last edited by RobG; 09-14-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: more info
09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #60

None of the factors listed are as important to me as the ability of the camera to actually capture and reproduce an image. Sure, faster previews and shorter time to process would be nice, but personally I'm more interested in the various features that the camera provides to capture images, and the quality of the images it captures. Of course it would be nice to have faster image processing, but I'd prefer to have better AF and all the dials and adjustments which I've grown used to on the K7. My K200 takes great images too, but I really miss the dual dials and features like aperture bias in program mode which are present on the K7. Presumably the R&D effort required to rebuild the K5 circuitry and firmware with the newer CPU caused that option to take a back seat to correcting the issues which people had raised with the existing K5. Perhaps the new CPU you wish for will be in the (so far) mythical K3. My main complaints about my K7 are the AF under some circumstances, and the high ISO noise - both of which are already addressed by the K5, and the K5ii appears to do an even better job.

So - roll on Photokina and hands-on testing!

PS I don't use live view much because it sucks battery power like no tomorrow and AF in live view mode on the K7 is excruciatingly slow.

You seem to be implying that you couldn't get the improved focusing AND the better image processor. When forced to pick between them the focusing is a clear winner. However, if you are upgrading the camera (focus), why not slap the new processor in there to?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tenz.NL:
Glad you took it up oke
Your explanation sets thing more in perspective, at first it sounded like you have been holding off for a couple of years.

As for liveview that is something each user must decide for itself, I guess that depends on shootingstyle. Your K10d has no LV (k20d was the first i believe?) so you probably won`t notice the difference between the K01/K30 and the K5 (II). As for your upcoming upgrade you can`t go wrong with either the K5 or the MkII. I upgraded from a K20d to a K5 and it was a huge step forward as well in IQ, DR, processing-, focussing- and shootingspeed. Something you might want to consider: Surely the MKII is better than the K5 but the classic will be more bang for buck (a saving of aprox $700-800) and you will still not be dissapointed compared to your old K10d
I have been eyeing the K5's, the prices they are selling here on the forums is basically robbery (650 for a practically like new camera?!?). I'll be waiting to see how good this new AF system is and then deciding from there. Either way I plan on having a K-5 of some sort by the end of the year.