Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 Main Board Replacement Cost?

A friend here in Denver took his nearly two year old K-5 in for repair locally. The repair shop tells him it's a bad main board and they'll have to send it out C.R.I.S in Phoenix for the work.

Anyone had the K-5 main board replaced and what was the expense?

Thanks......

09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
A friend here in Denver took his nearly two year old K-5 in for repair locally. The repair shop tells him it's a bad main board and they'll have to send it out C.R.I.S in Phoenix for the work.

Anyone had the K-5 main board replaced and what was the expense?

Thanks......
I remember someone here having it done, but I beleive it was under warranty. Your friend didn't happen to buy the extended warranty for $20 did he?
09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone from our local forum got it replaced for free (mirror flop problem) way out of warranty. YMMV.
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My camera had its CPU board (and other innards replaced) and it cost around $400.

(I assume it was Canadian Pentax service center).

09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I remember someone here having it done, but I beleive it was under warranty. Your friend didn't happen to buy the extended warranty for $20 did he?
I wish he had.........the camera is not yet two years old.
09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info........I'll let my buddy know of your experience.
09-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Someone from our local forum got it replaced for free (mirror flop problem) way out of warranty. YMMV.
I'll make sure that my friend knows to press the age of the camera with C.R.I.S. Thanks for the reply back.

09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had my K-7 main-board and a $10.00 mode selector knob replaced for $300.00. + shipping to CRIS. Not a K-5 but might give you an idea.

p.s. I doubt C.R.I.S. really cares about the age of the camera, all they are concerned with is is who pays the bill, the customer or Pentax.
They are independent/contract facility as far as I know.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.
09-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I had my K-7 main-board and a $10.00 mode selector knob replaced for $300.00. + shipping to CRIS. Not a K-5 but might give you an idea.

p.s. I doubt C.R.I.S. really cares about the age of the camera, all they are concerned with is is who pays the bill, the customer or Pentax.
They are independent/contract facility as far as I know.
Thanks........a $300 repair is certainly better than buying a new K-5 for $800 or so. And that's a better idea.........take up the $$$ problem w/ Pentax USA.
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If the camera was purchased new with a credit card, the card would likely have extended the warranty for a second year. I've used the extended warranty feature several times - you pay for the repair and visa/mastercard/etc. reimburses you. You only need the original receipt for the purchase, and the receipt for the repairs, to claim the reimbursement.

Paul
09-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
If the camera was purchased new with a credit card, the card would likely have extended the warranty for a second year. I've used the extended warranty feature several times - you pay for the repair and visa/mastercard/etc. reimburses you. You only need the original receipt for the purchase, and the receipt for the repairs, to claim the reimbursement.

Paul
Unfortunately not the case here.............but I myself certainly do that where a warranty will matter dramatically.