Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Is now the time to buy the K-5?

I have been waiting a while to upgrade from my K-10D. The K-5 seems to be a great replacement and with the impending release of the K-5II what is the take on the pricing, is it bottomed out or will it drop some more till supplies are exhausted?

09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the K-5 will drop more until it's discontinued. The K-5 II is coming out on 10/15, so I expect retailers to clear out their K-5 stock by then.

With that said, considering how little the K-5 and K-5 II differ, I would opt for the original K-5 while it's cheap.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the K-5 will drop more until it's discontinued. The K-5 II is coming out on 10/15, so I expect retailers to clear out their K-5 stock by then.

With that said, considering how little the K-5 and K-5 II differ, I would opt for the original K-5 while it's cheap.
+1

I got a great deal on my set up. It was mispriced so I got a lot of stuff for cheap, but they honored it.

In the end of the day, if you plan to do low light shooting the new version might be worth the wait. Same with something that needs better AF...

I am loving my regular K5. I will look at the other one as it comes out but the old one ain't bad. At all.
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

So Adam, the specs that have been released for the K-5 II are accurate? As in, there were no secret, last-minute, ground-breaking changes from what was originally announced? Any word on how much better the AF is?

Also, will it begin shipping out on the 15th? I'm still debating on upgrading to either:

1) K-01
2) K-5
3) K-5 II

I don't need something today, but I will need it by November. If I'm getting the K-01, I'd like to get it this month so that I can take advantage of the rebate.

09-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
+1 I have just ordered The K5 (body Only)+battery grip as an upgrade to my Kr, you just can't go wrong with the price at $879 US, with the Australian dollar at $104 and especially as the upgraded K5-II's upgrades are pretty 'un-spectacular', that was the only extra push I needed to upgrade...
That gives me a couple of years for the Full Frame to come out!
09-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Get the K-5.
I bought one this May as an upgrade from a K10 and it is a notable improvement.
I hung onto my K10 and it still gets a run out with some manual lenses on it.
09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think the current prices are about as low as they will get. I waited until it dropped to that magical "under $1000" spot last November on Black Friday. No regrets even though it's a little cheaper right now. They won't last long. The K5 II models will likely be well over a grand.

09-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

All the improvements on the k-5II and the k-5IIs really arent worth it to me, I am happy with the autofocus, rear LCD screen, ect.... Now is the time to get a k-5 classic, they are still an awesome camera at an awesome price. To me there really isn't a better APSC DSLR out there.
Now- get it, take pictures with it, and post them in here, and never look back
09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Well my K5 has arrived, I can't believe the quality and feel of this thing! The extra weight makes such a difference to stability (my hands don't shake anymore!) when hand held, especially with the grip. My Kr is definitely an entry level job compared with the K5. What else? The shutter sound is exquisite, the button layout is as if I designed them personally, they fit me so well. TAv, what a fantastic idea, I'll be shooting in this 90% of the time! Dynamic Range? Don't even ask! My 43, 77 and 15 were bang on focus, without any adjustment. 16mp is a perfect balance for me between file size and IQ. I don't know why I waited so long, so if you haven't touched a K5 before, don't, cause your other camera will look second rate pretty quick!

If you're even half considering a K5 do it, $879 US is daylight robbery, seriously I can't see me wanting an upgrade for many many years, I love this thing!