Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So I finally bought a k-5....

I bought a k-7 six months ago for cheap. I've always wanted a k-5, and the k-7 was just a holdover, and now a second body. I don't think they are going to get any cheaper, so now is the time to buy. I wanted to wait for an IIs, but quite honestly I don't know if taking the AA filter off was enough to justify $400 more for basically the same camera. I'm really happy with my k-7 and thought I would hate the sensor noise at first, but really at low iso that camera takes wonderful, detailed pictures with eye catching color. I think the k-5 will be even better and I can't possibly wait to slap my 12-24 on it and go to town.

09-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I bought a k-7 six months ago for cheap. I've always wanted a k-5, and the k-7 was just a holdover, and now a second body. I don't think they are going to get any cheaper, so now is the time to buy. I wanted to wait for an IIs, but quite honestly I don't know if taking the AA filter off was enough to justify $400 more for basically the same camera. I'm really happy with my k-7 and thought I would hate the sensor noise at first, but really at low iso that camera takes wonderful, detailed pictures with eye catching color. I think the k-5 will be even better and I can't possibly wait to slap my 12-24 on it and go to town.
Congratulation on the k-5 purchase. I have the same combo.. k-7 initially and then later added the k-5 (my combo is likely more expensive than yours as I didn't wait for the price to drop enough). I agree with you on the k-7 about the sensor noise. Other than that, I am happy with both.
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I've really learned to love the k-7. On a tripod I can take stunning pictures of anything at any time and that's just fine with me. Shooting bands in a dimly lit room with a fast mf lens that wants to back focus in low light? Not so much fun with the k-7. I'm only worried that the tungsten af performance is worse with the k-5 than the k-7. Its usually the biggest complaint, but I also hear its overblown. I sure will know soon enough though!

A new body will feel so good. My k-7 is getting pretty beat up looking after carrying it daily. That black paint sure wears down pretty fast.
09-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
gtl
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've really learned to love the k-7. On a tripod I can take stunning pictures of anything at any time and that's just fine with me. Shooting bands in a dimly lit room with a fast mf lens that wants to back focus in low light? Not so much fun with the k-7. I'm only worried that the tungsten af performance is worse with the k-5 than the k-7. Its usually the biggest complaint, but I also hear its overblown. I sure will know soon enough though!

A new body will feel so good. My k-7 is getting pretty beat up looking after carrying it daily. That black paint sure wears down pretty fast.
Wow, I haven't worn down my K5's paint despite travelling extensively with it. I would have thought its pretty hardy. Then again I always have it in a camera bag when not in use most of the time...

09-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My camera is on my shoulder a lot.Its only really worn at the bottom and along the bottom edge were it rests on my bag a lot. I haven't looked at the shutter count, but its up there. I just figure it will keep shooting and then it won't one day. I made a lot more than the $600 I paid for it. It has always been reliable. I had a weird glitch with the screen one time and that was all. I think it actually locked up at one point as well. Also the mirror flipped a few times one day with the shutter button held down. I don't know why, but I guess that's a common problem with that shutter assembly. All in all this camera has taken some pretty serious abuse and still operates just like it was new. The front edial needed some contact cleaner recently. No big deal. The k-5 is such a massive leap in iq on the sensor though, I really can't wait to see what that baby can do. 13 or so EV of dynamic range is pretty big compared to the 10 the k-7 puts out. A usable, without hesitation iso 1600 would be wonderful as well.
09-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed with all! I had the K7 for 2 years before I finally bought the K5 a few months ago (admittedly being talked into by the price. Where else can you get a camera of that quality for significantly less than $1000...). I loved the K7 and only got the K5 because of the leap in low light sensitivity. And it totally delivered to the expectations. I love it to death and I suspect so will you.
Enjoy!
09-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My camera is on my shoulder a lot.Its only really worn at the bottom and along the bottom edge were it rests on my bag a lot. I haven't looked at the shutter count, but its up there. I just figure it will keep shooting and then it won't one day. I made a lot more than the $600 I paid for it. It has always been reliable. I had a weird glitch with the screen one time and that was all. I think it actually locked up at one point as well. Also the mirror flipped a few times one day with the shutter button held down. I don't know why, but I guess that's a common problem with that shutter assembly. All in all this camera has taken some pretty serious abuse and still operates just like it was new. The front edial needed some contact cleaner recently. No big deal. The k-5 is such a massive leap in iq on the sensor though, I really can't wait to see what that baby can do. 13 or so EV of dynamic range is pretty big compared to the 10 the k-7 puts out. A usable, without hesitation iso 1600 would be wonderful as well.
I shoot at ISO 6400 all the time with my K-5 and it's pretty easy to clean the files up.

09-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It came today. Omg the dr is huuuuuge!! I'm totally blown away.
09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm totally amazed at what 3200 looks like too! Who needs ff? Lol

This camera is amazing! I'll have to try 6400.....

AF is way better too. My k-7 wasn't nearly that accurate in low light. Did I mention I'm amazed?
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ugh, now I want a K-5!

I hope the price stays about this low so I can pick one up either new or on the used market sometime in the next couple months.
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do a lot of shooting in low light, hand held. Simply because I love pushing the limits of what I can shoot. Also its frustrating to setup a tripod for every shot. I'd rather burst and pray. This camera is going to change everything. I'll quit raving like a lunatic now.
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Ugh, now I want a K-5!

I hope the price stays about this low so I can pick one up either new or on the used market sometime in the next couple months.
Oh trust me! You want one! This blows the k-7 away. When I noticed my skies weren't blowing so quickly I was really sold.
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh trust me! You want one! This blows the k-7 away. When I noticed my skies weren't blowing so quickly I was really sold.
I'm shooting a K20D, so even the K-7 would be a step up, the K-5 should really be quite a large step up! I was debating between K-5 and K-30, but it seems like the K-5 wins in most categories for me. The K-5 II, if improved enough, could enter in as a possibility as well.
09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the k7 has the same sensor, but the body would be a step up for sure. I love my k-7. The deep shadow contrast reminds me of film a lot. I think they did a good job with that sensor considering its abilities. Black and whites off that camera still, to me, look really spectacular. It will get used for a long time and then eventually I'll convert it for ir. Right now it has an m50 1.4 on it I use for portraits, so it is the dedicated face cam while my k-5 has the 12-24 that I cannot seem to stop using.
09-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the K5, when you are shooting at low iso, you can easily under expose a stop or two and then bring up the shadows. It is such a big difference from previous cameras (even the K10), where noise started to come in really fast. Enjoy your camera, it's a great one.