Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama's First Look at the K-5 Mk.II

Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs Ruggedized DSLRs First Look from Adorama Learning Center

They also have a page up on the Q10:
http://www.adorama.com/ALC/News.aspx?googleid=0013884&alias=Pentax-Q10-Mirro...EmailALC092112

Not much there but these 2(3) cameras were featured in the email I got along with Hassy, Nikon, Canon, and the other bigger players.

09-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Adorama describes the IIs as more of a studio camera and the II for where the photographer has less control over lighting..............

Can someone expound on that distinction? I don't quite understand what they mean by that. I thought the IIs delivered more detail due to the filter not being there....
09-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Adorama describes the IIs as more of a studio camera and the II for where the photographer has less control over lighting..............

Can someone expound on that distinction? I don't quite understand what they mean by that. I thought the IIs delivered more detail due to the filter not being there....
It's sharper without the AA filter but at the cost of moire patterns in the image. Studio folks have more control over what they are shooting, lighting, and other factors that would lead to moire appearing in the image. There is a better review here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199714-k-5-ii-vs-k...ml#post2108517
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 IIs is more susceptible to moire patterns Moiré pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the studio you can avoid the problem because you have more control over conditions.

09-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

But wouldn't there be less potential moire patterns out in nature, rather than with man-made and artificial objects?
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But wouldn't there be less potential moire patterns out in nature, rather than with man-made and artificial objects?
If you are shooting nature per se' then probably yes. However, if you are shooting man made things, just outside, then no.
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote

Not a good recommendation, I think. It's true that adjusting lighting can reduce moire, but who wants this concern to determine the lighting used? I'd suggest the K-5IIs for landscape and nature work, but not for imaging man-made items. Now, if you are shooting portraits and can eliminate clothing that might produce moire, go for the K-5IIs.

Of course, this hypothesis needs testing on the actual cameras.

09-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm by no means an expert on moire, but I don't see how outside or studio would matter. Moire is all about patterns that are incompatible with the grid-like nature of a sensor. You're either shooting a pattern that will cause moire, or you aren't; I don't see how inside or out, or what kind of lighting makes a difference. And from my experience shooting for Backpacker Mag, the things we shoot inside (backpacker, shoes, tents, whatever) are way more likely to moire than the stuff we shoot outside (hiking, nature, landscape and such). But like Docrwm said, that just comes down to what you're shooting. If you were shoot people inside, and architecture/patterns outside, you would probably have a bigger problem outside.
09-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I'm by no means an expert on moire, but I don't see how outside or studio would matter. Moire is all about patterns that are incompatible with the grid-like nature of a sensor. You're either shooting a pattern that will cause moire, or you aren't; I don't see how inside or out, or what kind of lighting makes a difference. And from my experience shooting for Backpacker Mag, the things we shoot inside (backpacker, shoes, tents, whatever) are way more likely to moire than the stuff we shoot outside (hiking, nature, landscape and such). But like Docrwm said, that just comes down to what you're shooting. If you were shoot people inside, and architecture/patterns outside, you would probably have a bigger problem outside.
The article I liked has some examples and offers that most moire can be handled in post, but not all. I am waiting to see output from the IIs and hear from users.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199714-k-5-ii-vs-k...ml#post2108517
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Frankly, the retail store bloggers know very little about Pentax products beyond the spec sheets and press releases they receive. At least that has been my impression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Frankly, the retail store bloggers know very little about Pentax products beyond the spec sheets and press releases they receive. At least that has been my impression.
Yes, but I am more impressed that 2 of the 9 items featured in their email blast ad were Pentax cameras.
09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, but I am more impressed that 2 of the 9 items featured in their email blast ad were Pentax cameras.
FINALLY, Pentax is mentioned (even featured) in Adorama's email. HooRay!!!
09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think they probably mean that the S version would be better for the studio for the extra sharpness that is needed for a lot of commercial work etc.
That would make sense. If it is as sorted as the Fuji cameras...... nuff said !