Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #16

simico has a point, 15-20% is an exaggeration, though we havent seen images from the new k5, if we consider the other brands, the sharpness is nowhere near 15%... its much less...
time will tell my friends...

09-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
simico has a point, 15-20% is an exaggeration, though we havent seen images from the new k5, if we consider the other brands, the sharpness is nowhere near 15%... its much less...
time will tell my friends...
We are talking pixel-level sharpness. Unless the current AA filter is outrageously strong, the improvements will only be noticeable in large prints. On the screen you'll only notice it in 100% crops, so pixel peepers will love it, but if you print out two 8x12s of a full image AA and AA-less you won't be able to see much if any difference. But if you blow them up to 24x36 and beyond it should help. It will also help with the ability to make decent prints from crops that are smaller areas of the original -- so in-effect it also gives us extra reach. I'll be looking forward to it, but 15% is highly exaggerated.
09-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'll be looking forward to it, but 15% is highly exaggerated.
%10-15 increase in sharpness is my non-scientific wild guess from the pictures in the web. One thing for sure increase is depends on the AA filter used in the original camera- . Below pictures are before and after the commercial complete removal of the AA filter, not like double AA filter used in Nikon D800E. We'll see the results in the K-5

REMOVING THE Anti-Aliasing-Filter FROM YOUR DSLR - Otto Schulze Photographers

Nikon D300HR
09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
%10-15 increase in sharpness is my non-scientific wild guess from the pictures in the web.
At web resolutions where everything is downsampled, it is impossible to see the difference except in 100% crops. Then it will look dramatic, but doesn't really tell you the effect you get when looking at a whole picture, which again on the screen will be nil. Only in larger prints will the two versions begin to separate themselves, or if you want to crop tighter you will be able to get away with a bit more than before.

09-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
i.e macro and landscape photography needs mostly razor ike sharp photos, but wedding and most portrait photos are on the opposite side

IIs is not definitely for weddings that require soft dream like pictures, nobody wants to see zits, freckles skin blemishes, from a sharp photo in the weddings, bride would get mad. A soft filter or a nylon stocking can be used tho. so moire won't be a problem.
But, won't the bride also be upset if you pull a pair of nylon stockings over her head before each photo? I'm given to understand that it ruins the make-up job...
09-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
But, won't the bride also be upset if you pull a pair of nylon stockings over her head before each photo? I'm given to understand that it ruins the make-up job...

but... but... trust me... it makes you look beautiful !!!
10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
We are talking pixel-level sharpness. Unless the current AA filter is outrageously strong, the improvements will only be noticeable in large prints. On the screen you'll only notice it in 100% crops, so pixel peepers will love it, but if you print out two 8x12s of a full image AA and AA-less you won't be able to see much if any difference. But if you blow them up to 24x36 and beyond it should help. It will also help with the ability to make decent prints from crops that are smaller areas of the original -- so in-effect it also gives us extra reach. I'll be looking forward to it, but 15% is highly exaggerated.
I'm tempted to write to that company that cbayton mentioned below to see what they would charge for an existing K5. I made one 24x36 canvas print last year and sold it. That one was sharp enough not to require any AA, but i assure you, i passed over several of my images that i didn't think would work at 36". perhaps AA removal would redeem some new photos enough to go the distance :-), when they would otherwise had been marginal.

The removal company mentioned they have a 1 to 2 day turnaround on cameras sent to them. that would be sweet.

10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote

but... but... trust me... it makes you look beautiful !!!
I'm told that the only thing working for me is a pillow-case.....