Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 or K5II????

Hi Planning to switch to Pentax and wondering if the K5II is so much better than the K5? price is important as I need to buy new lenses as well. Plan to do tele nature work and some landscapes..I know the 5II has not AA filter which is a plus,but for that price I can get a D600 which would outperform it for landscapes I think... any help is appreciated
Thanks Shanti

09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A little early for anything but speculation from folks around here on the superiority of lack of superiority of the Mk II over the Classic K-5. Not that that would stop many but still, there it is.

Adam has said that he will be getting one to review as soon as they are released (tentatively 10/15).

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.
09-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, if price is important, I would say the K-5 classic would be the better bet, as it leaves more money for lenses... Tentatively anyway. I would say wait for the K-5 II to get into some people's hands that have had experience with the K-5 as well. If the AF is that much improved, the IQ could/should be slightly improved (like K20D to K-7 was), etc., it may be very worth it for you!

What are your main thing you shoot? What is important to you when shooting?

Keep in mind, saving $500-$700 on a camera body, leaves enough money for quite a nice lens in and of itself. A lot of people are really liking the 18-135 and I admit I'll probably be adding it soon as the WR and DC definitely intrigue me.

You mentioned landscapes, the DA 15 ltd would be a nice lens as well.
09-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi Planning to switch to Pentax and wondering if the K5II is so much better than the K5? price is important as I need to buy new lenses as well. Plan to do tele nature work and some landscapes..I know the 5II has not AA filter which is a plus,but for that price I can get a D600 which would outperform it for landscapes I think... any help is appreciated
Thanks Shanti
The K5II is the improved model, while the K5IIs is the one without the AA filter. The K5IIs is suppose to sell for about $100 more (than the K5II).

09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone can say for sure yet as to the benefits of the K5 IIs without AA filter. In saying that Adam who runs the site tested it at Photokina and despite not being initially impressed, he was much more so when he tried it out. I myself am a pure amateur and relative newbie but I have to say that the K5 classic is quite an amazing camera and i'm mega impressed by the capabilities of it especially in comparison to the Canon Rebel T2i i used prior to the K5. The dynamic range of the K5 is amazing and in the example below were i bracketed 5 shots with the intention of doing some subtle HDR as the scene was very dynamic but was unable get a useful HDR shot as the grass moved and looked terrible after been blended, i managed then in Lightroom to somewhat salvage a useful shot from one photo.

Before:

After some tweaks and cropping in Lightroom:

It's not exactly an award winning shot, nor would i presume could one make a large print from it, but still i was quite impressed with what could be salvaged even by my very amateur hands!

You may want to wait and compare reviews with the K5 IIs and the Nikon d600 before splashing out. As far as i know too, there is a compatibility issue with the the RAW format of the Nikon d600 in regards to Lightroom and Photoshop and they simply will not be recognized until Abobe updates them so if you shoot RAW and use these, it's worth baring in mind so waiting a while might be an idea to see what may be the best toad to go down (maybe you know this already but just in case you don't). The D600 certainly looks to be quite some camera and they certainly haven't sacrificed anything in regards to image quality it seems, however, even though the camera itself isn;t massive, a lot of the glass one would need to run with it are no so small. The only wide angle Nikon lens which supports 77mm filter thread is the 17-35 VR and it looks more like a 24-70 full frame. The Pentax advantage is that one can use something like the DA 15 f4 limited which is tiny but very well made and optically superb! I was very intrigued myself by the D600 as a dream second camera system but the more i considered it, the more i thought about having to lug around that amount of gear i became turned off but if size doesn't matter then maybe it's a non issue for you. The K5 is an amazing camera as it stands and if you go for it i'm sure you would not be disappointed for sure. In saying that i'm sure if went for a D600 you would be very happy. Good luck with whatever way you go!
09-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Bert, that is the kind of picture that makes you a captain!!
09-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Bert, that is the kind of picture that makes you a captain!!
Ha ha thanks very much Buschmaster!

09-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to the K-5 forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 is a worthy investment.
Can't speak about the updated models, but the original takes some beating for its feature set at its current price point.
A lot will point out its low light AF struggles at times, but that depends on what kind of photos you take.
The bulk of my photos are also landscapes, nature, birding...that kind of thing.
I use manual lenses as well as AF ones.
For birding, my zoom is the Pentax FA 100-300/4.7-5.8, not the fastest,but the K-5 gives it a lot more life over my K10.
09-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K5 or K5II

Thanks for the replies..as far as what I plan to use it for...animals,birds,landscapes,seascapes(hurricanes...love em),some macro work,concerts...so water resistant is a must,and durable..my Oly gear has not broke down in 8 yrs! and Pentax seems the same quality.Coming from film yrs ago I know how heavy tele lens can be for FF so APS C is much more intersting for tele work,but I do miss detail in landscapes,so therefore the D600 was considered.AF problems with K5 in low light can be overcome I think,just so I can track BIF in good light,then I'm happy.Thinking of Sigma 150-500 or the Pentax teles. I just wonder if the K5 will go out of stock soon,so trying to decide while the price is right
09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As far as build, the K5 II should actually be just a bit better, as the screen has been adjusted to better seal out water, dust, even air. Something to consider if you love hurricanes

If the AF is improved, you would most likely be more pleased with the K-5 II with animals/birds and such. However, as stated previously in this thread, we still don't know to what degree the AF is improved. If any.

May I ask what your total budget will be? And if you're willing to go used on bodies, lenses etc? Perhaps we can put together a few "kits" for you with your budget, and you may then be able to think about that info while (hopefully) you wait for some more information and real field work with the K-5 II and IIs.
09-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
As far as build, the K5 II should actually be just a bit better, as the screen has been adjusted to better seal out water, dust, even air. Something to consider if you love hurricanes

If the AF is improved, you would most likely be more pleased with the K-5 II with animals/birds and such. However, as stated previously in this thread, we still don't know to what degree the AF is improved. If any.

May I ask what your total budget will be? And if you're willing to go used on bodies, lenses etc? Perhaps we can put together a few "kits" for you with your budget, and you may then be able to think about that info while (hopefully) you wait for some more information and real field work with the K-5 II and IIs.

Hi Busch... budget is about $1500-2000,used lenses are fine,camera better new as 2 yr. warranty here in Denmark..has water got into the screen on the K5? we get wild storms on the Danish west coast and good photo ops..
Thanks
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
..has water got into the screen on the K5?
I have not had that happen. Some people report dust showing up behind the rear screen cover.
09-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The K5 ll has an improved AF system so that might be worth considering if you do a lot of sports or low light shooting. I haven't had issues with my K5 and the AF was a decent improvement from the K10D. There's not enough change to make me want to upgrade (at least with current information) right now and I plan on staying with my K5 for a few years.
09-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi reeftool
Thanks..should of been K5IIs in my post,as I wonder if no AA filter will give more in landscapes,only low light is animals,but then MF is fine for me.