Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K5 doesn't stay "awake"

I am using my K5 with a remote (wired) trigger signal to take a water drop picture about every 8 seconds (you need that time to let the flash recharge and the water to calm down from the previous drop). When I started up today, I was getting only every other picture. After a while, I realized that the camera was shutting down between exposures, such that you needed (the equivalent of) a partial (like a focus push) or total shutter push to wake it back up so it would take a picture on the next activation via the remote cord.

I looked high and low through the manual to figure out how to keep the camera "on" for an arbitrary time between frames and ready to shoot instantly. This problem does not seem to be addressed therein. All I can come up with is to put the review display time after a shot at 5 seconds. After the review goes away, the exposure setting info flashes for a few seconds on the back and top. If that display quits (which is what happened when I had only a 3 second review), the camera does not appear to be ready to take a picture immediately. You need to "goose" it again before it will shoot. Is there something else that I can do to keep the camera "awake"?! I'm using manual focus and shake reduction is turned off, so the camera doesn't have to do anything but shoot!

09-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the menu check the Wrench setting page # 3, Auto Power Off. Set it to OFF
09-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And you should try to use the internal invervalometer function of the K5 instead of a remote.
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The intervalometer function (which I have used elsewhere - so I know how to use it, and like it!) won't work here - I need to trigger the camera from an external source (done with a little Arduino computer board or my own custom-designed hardware timing system). That is what starts the timing chain (you also need to fire an external flash after a precise timing delay (accurate to a millisecond) on the order of a few hundred milliseconds), not the camera. I would need an OUTPUT from the camera, from the intervalometer or shutter, to do it that way. I don't think that is available (maybe via the computer interface, but that would add at least another layer of complexity).

09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In reply to crewl1: I kinda doubt that would do it. My camera is going to sleep after a few seconds, not minutes. I have it set for power off at 1 minute, via the menu you suggest. I'll try that, though. (The actual functionality of many of the camera commands is not really very well defined in the manual - I guess that would take up a lot of space while not being of much interest to very many people!)

Last edited by AstroDave; 09-26-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: maybe unclear as to which message I was referring
09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK , i duplicated the issue you are having.
If you are using some type of automated shutter remote mechanism, you will have to short out the AF wire continuously.
The plug has three contacts.
I think the last time I opened one up the tip was the shutter, the middle was the AF and the base was the ground.
If you are doing it manually you can take the remote apart and just solder the appropriate switch contacts together with a short wire. If you are doing it with a device then tie the middle contact to ground.
**IMPORTANT **
Verify the actual contact arrangement, I am stating this from memory and it has been a while, so please test it before you solder anything up - I make no warranties on my memory, it is rather poor.
09-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good idea - I know all about how that plug works! I've made half-a-dozen home-made remote controls. That's what I've got hanging out there now, too. I'll just short the focus to ground (it is the ring = middle). Thanks for the idea.