Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where in Canada can a focusing screen be installed for me?

So, yes I have made the decision to get an ee-S screen for my K5 (and K7) because I am having increasing difficulty with manually focusing my "wide" lenses: Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4 and Cosina 55/1.2, at their maximum aperture(s).
The Zeiss in particular, since it has the infamous "focus shift", and I just can't use the LV to focus .... very difficult/almost impossible with my aging eyesight.

I am looking for a shop somewhere in Canada, would be nice if it were in Québec actually, which could install it for me and make sure that it is done perfectly.
I will keep on using the cameras (K5 and K7) as well with my other lenses (AF) , hoping this would not interfere with the AF.

So, if anyone here knows of a reputable shop in Canada/Québec ... please let me know.

Thanks and cheers!

JP

Edit:
sorry folks, I have just realized that this type of screen is not recommended for "slower" lenses, so it isn't going to work well with my DA*300/4. It looks like a case of "dedicating" the screen for particular usage with fast lenses only.

Last edited by jpzk; 09-25-2012 at 04:13 PM.
09-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put an LL-60 (ist D) screen in my K10D, and had no trouble with the 50-135/2.8 focusing manually when the AF went for the third time out of warranty. I still have no problem with the 16-50/2.8. The screen is grainier than the stock screen, similar to the older film screens, and works for me. Depending on your eyesight, it might not be for you because it has no focus aids - I don't like them - just the matte screen with lines.
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I put an LL-60 (ist D) screen in my K10D, and had no trouble with the 50-135/2.8 focusing manually when the AF went for the third time out of warranty. I still have no problem with the 16-50/2.8. The screen is grainier than the stock screen, similar to the older film screens, and works for me. Depending on your eyesight, it might not be for you because it has no focus aids - I don't like them - just the matte screen with lines.
Thanks.

I would think that, in my case, a focus aid of some kind would be ideal.

That would likely involve buying a screen with a spit of some kind but I wonder if this would render the AF (when I need to use it with other lenses) ineffective ??

JP
09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out the available screens in the forum accessories database. The only thing I think that is affected adversely is spot metering because the focus aids vary the amount of light visible to the meter.

09-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't understand, this is a 30 seconds process that necessitates no specialized tool other that what comes with the focusing screen to hold it. Flip the screen down by pulling the retaining tab, take the existing FS out, insert the new one, close it. That's all there is to it. As for the f:/4, Pentax focusing screen are designed to work with a f5.6 focusing assembly. If anything, the wide aperture (f1.2/1.4) is totally out of it's intended usage range. Unless you are using a modified Canon screen, that was specifically designed for f1.2, I don't see why you would have any issue with the DA*300. The process might be slightly more delicate if you are inserting calibration shims (which I have never done myself), but still pretty easy for what I gather. I never rely on visual cues to MF, I always trust the focus confirmation light/beep.
09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I don't understand, this is a 30 seconds process that necessitates no specialized tool other that what comes with the focusing screen to hold it. Flip the screen down by pulling the retaining tab, take the existing FS out, insert the new one, close it. That's all there is to it. As for the f:/4, Pentax focusing screen are designed to work with a f5.6 focusing assembly. If anything, the wide aperture (f1.2/1.4) is totally out of it's intended usage range. Unless you are using a modified Canon screen, that was specifically designed for f1.2, I don't see why you would have any issue with the DA*300. The process might be slightly more delicate if you are inserting calibration shims (which I have never done myself), but still pretty easy for what I gather. I never rely on visual cues to MF, I always trust the focus confirmation light/beep.
Calibration can be a bit of a chore.
Though for the most part, I'd say a properly installed focusing screen does require a measure of knowledge and skill.
I've installed and calibrated many myself though the only competent person I've ever known who did this professionally(with a clean room) was the owner of the Katzeye company. Which I might add, can and will install and calibrate your focusing screen to perfection. Which I know isn't in Canada, but ... .sometimes, if you want to get something done right, you gotta reach a little further to get there
09-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I say install it for your f4. You will find that you can see focus. I use it with my 400 f4 manual. Recently I sent my body in for repair and reinstalled the stock screen. I left it in for a while When I got it back for use with my 170-50 6.3(?) sigma. I could not see whether the lens found focus with the stock screen. Installed the ees, and no problem. The screen was a bit dark, but at the light levels the lens needs to shoot wildlife it was fine.

09-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Check out the available screens in the forum accessories database. The only thing I think that is affected adversely is spot metering because the focus aids vary the amount of light visible to the meter.
Did just that moments ago ... thanks!

JP
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I suppose some people are technically more inclined than others.

With my luck, it may just need that shimming job and I am not about to mess it up trying anyway.

Cheers.

JP
09-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Calibration can be a bit of a chore.
Though for the most part, I'd say a properly installed focusing screen does require a measure of knowledge and skill.
I've installed and calibrated many myself though the only competent person I've ever known who did this professionally(with a clean room) was the owner of the Katzeye company. Which I might add, can and will install and calibrate your focusing screen to perfection. Which I know isn't in Canada, but ... .sometimes, if you want to get something done right, you gotta reach a little further to get there
Good post John ... That might be the ticket!

JP
09-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I say install it for your f4. You will find that you can see focus. I use it with my 400 f4 manual. Recently I sent my body in for repair and reinstalled the stock screen. I left it in for a while When I got it back for use with my 170-50 6.3(?) sigma. I could not see whether the lens found focus with the stock screen. Installed the ees, and no problem. The screen was a bit dark, but at the light levels the lens needs to shoot wildlife it was fine.
Sounds good. At least I know now that this screen won't interfere much with my "style" of shooting.

JP
09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found a place where they will do it right close by:

Two hours driving or I could always send it Express (same day delivery) to:

Service Camera Pro in Québec City:
acceuil

I have emailed them yesterday, and René at the shop said that they would do it while I am waiting at the desk !! or I could send it to them and they would do it upon receiving it that same day.

JP