Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 II Auto Focus Question (Recording Video)

In all the announcements with the improved AF on the K-5 Mark II, I'm wondering if it has been mentioned if it can autofocus while recording video?

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my K-7 and now that I have a son moving a million miles an hour, autofocusing video would an incredibly useful feature.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it mentioned.

09-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think so.
It still uses the Prime II processor, and won't feature the improved (like on the K-30 and K-01) video capabilities.
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
In all the announcements with the improved AF on the K-5 Mark II, I'm wondering if it has been mentioned if it can autofocus while recording video?
The K-30 can do this although we can't say for sure yet if the K-5 II can, because the processor is the same as the first version, and the Prime II is more adapted for use in 14-bit stills, not video. As far as changes to AF had been made and made visible, the only added feature was area AF-C tracking.
09-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, sounds like I shouldn't be getting my hopes up on that particular feature!

09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For future reference, the news and rumors is for sharing news/rumors only, not for questions about officially-announced items. I've gone ahead and moved your thread to the K-5 section.

BTW, I was able to confirm that the K-5 II has the same lousy live view and video recording specs as the original- in the menus, there's nothing new whatsoever beyond the AF area expansion feature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
No worries, thanks Adam. I wasn't sure where this question belonged.

Thanks for the confirmation too. It's a shame it wasn't added, although sounds like it might not be possible with the current hardware. I find manually focusing through live view painful.