Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Extended Warranty for K-5

Has anyone done a cost comparison analysis of the Pentax 3 year Extended Warranty versus a third-party 3 year extended warranty which has the same coverage as the Pentax warranty plus accidental damage. The third-party warranty sells for $99 as compared to the Pentax warranty of $20. There must be some logical way to determine the value of the warranty coverage rather than it being an emotional decision but I can't seem to come up with a logical/mathematical solution to my dilemma. Any advise/thoughts will be appreciated.

Ted

09-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically, the third-party warranties cover wear-and-tear while the Pentax one does not. So, unless you screw up your camera, obviously the Pentax warranty is the way to go. The thing you've got to ask yourself is how often that has happened in the past!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good point. I did not have one problem of any kind with my ME Super (or any other camera for that matter) in the many years I have been using it. Normally, I take very good care of my equipment and, fortunately, I have not experienced any accidental damage. But I am getting older (some may say much older) and I am not as "stable" as I once was so I may be a little more prone to dropping my camera. Maybe another question would be: Is the third party warranty with accidental coverage a good value at $99?

Ted

Last edited by Bramela; 09-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ted,

Also, if you buy with an AmEx and some of the Visas you get Accidental Damage coverage on the product for a year beyond the manufacturers warranty.

09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ted, i find that if i get the extended warranty nothing happens but when i don't it does...murphy's law...i suggest you look into a home owners insurance rider for your camera and it covers accidental and is inexpensive and get the $20 warranty so you have accidental and warranty covered...my 2 cents..amy
09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who have responded. I did use my Visa for the purchase and I am going to check with our insurance agent on coverage under our home owners policy. It is sure nice to be able to ask a question and get so many good answers. I really appreciate this forum and all of you who so kindly participate.
Ted
09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I am getting older (some may say much older) and I am not as "stable" as I once was so I may be a little more prone to dropping my camera
I am like you, Ted, as I get (much) older I am not as stable and secure as I used to be. The strap around the neck, nuisance as it is, is the most reassuring way of not dropping the camera. It is mandatory for me.

Sorry if I digress a little, just food for thought.

09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Bruce,
I agree. I have to use my neck strap on my camera.
Ted
09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my past experience, the third party can only do the most basic if any repairs. It usually gets shipped off to CRIS Camera.
So you may et some delay where the third party warranty company may require you to send it to their site for inspection and then forwarded to CRIS.
I've had turn around of upwards of twelve weeks with, for example, MAC warranty.
If the third party allows you to send anywhere, thats great.
If not, and time is an issue, you may wish to go with Pentax that allows you to service directly through CRIS Camera.

Note, regarding the triangular neck strap rings that attach to the camera... I've had more than one pull open. On one event my camera fell to the ground where my lens opened like an egg and the parts fell out. (ok, only about half a dozen parts around the base... but it felt like I was watching Humpty Dumpty lay there on the ground).
Still it probably is the best insurance for not dropping the camera, but I now have a secondary safety cord attached to the camera just in case.
09-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Amoringello,
I will have to do some more research on the process for repairing my camera under the CPS warranty. Twelve weeks as you experienced is too long. Thanks for the heads-up on the warranty and the neck strap attachment.
Ted