Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 PARTIAL COLOR (red, green, blue or yellow) IN CAMERA PROCESSING?

This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I have been reading a lot of professional and individual user camera reviews on the web, for the last few months and now I'm ready to buy my first DSLR. I was holding off to see what new cameras came out at the Photokina show. I saw that the new K5 II and IIs were introduced, but for me there wasn't that much of an improvement over the original K5. I have it narrowed down to the K5 and a couple of the Sony SLT cameras. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the build quality, weather and dust sealing, high ISO performance, multiple exposure capability, the sensitivity mode, and shutter and aperature mode (camera selects the ISO).

There are a couple of functions that I really like on the Sony SLT cameras and I don't know if the K5 has them. On the Sonys, they have a partial color artist mode. You choose a color: Red, green, blue or yellow and that color only will appear in the photo and everything else will be black and white. Another function is the auto HDR mode. The camera takes three pictures quickly at different exposures and combines them into one photo. For those of you that have the Pentax K5, will the K5 do these two things? I didn't see that mentioned in the reviews, that I read.

Thanks for any help, John

10-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi John,

The K-5 has auto HDR mode, which comes with a variety of in-camera settings and works quite well (see our in-depth review for some samples). I know that it's got lots of built-in filters, but I don't think it has exactly what you're describing (though I think you should consult the manual to double-check, as few people use the in-camera processing features in practice).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 has both the functions you are looking for.On the K-5 single colour feature is called 'extract color' (spelled incorrectly ) under the digital filters menu. In fact you can choose to have two colours show through and the rest in monochrome. Not sure the Sony has this feature.

As Adam says the HDR mode is available by pressing the info button.
10-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

In camera processing takes a while which might be a problem for some.

I think I'd sooner process in Lightroom & use the colour filters to remove the unwanted colours giving potentialy greater control.

Attached Images

Last edited by WightWalker; 10-08-2012 at 07:25 AM.
10-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it's not hard to use the color selection setup in the camera. I've played around with HDR but haven't really spent much time figuring out where it's most desirable.
10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JD44 Quote
This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I have been reading a lot of professional and individual user camera reviews on the web, for the last few months and now I'm ready to buy my first DSLR. I was holding off to see what new cameras came out at the Photokina show. I saw that the new K5 II and IIs were introduced, but for me there wasn't that much of an improvement over the original K5. I have it narrowed down to the K5 and a couple of the Sony SLT cameras. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the build quality, weather and dust sealing, high ISO performance, multiple exposure capability, the sensitivity mode, and shutter and aperature mode (camera selects the ISO).

There are a couple of functions that I really like on the Sony SLT cameras and I don't know if the K5 has them. On the Sonys, they have a partial color artist mode. You choose a color: Red, green, blue or yellow and that color only will appear in the photo and everything else will be black and white. Another function is the auto HDR mode. The camera takes three pictures quickly at different exposures and combines them into one photo. For those of you that have the Pentax K5, will the K5 do these two things? I didn't see that mentioned in the reviews, that I read.

Thanks for any help, John
I did a quick demo of HDR on a Sony A57 while playing around in a store. Granted, I might not been have set it up perfectly but I thought the result was way less than I can achieve on my Pentax. Hope that helps.
10-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm going to hurry and grab one of the original K-5, while I can still get one. For under $880 (body), that is a bargain, considering it was $1,600, when they first came out. I just wish that it came packaged with the Pentax 18-135 WR lens. I kept going back and forth between the Sony SLT cameras and the K5. I liked the articulating LCD screen, fixed mirror, full time (fast) live view focusing and panoramic stitching of the Sonys. In the end the build quality, high ISO capabilities, image quality and backwards adaptability of lenses to the 1970's of the Pentax K-5 won out. I was also a bit concerned about the 24 megapixel file sizes and higher noise of the Sonys also. There isn't a perfect camera out there, that has everything that I want, but the Pentax K5, is as close as it gets. That extra 2 year Pentax warranty for $20 is a great deal too.

Thanks again, John