Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #1

Fine tune Auto WB user error - how to fix?

Hi,

I recently got a new Pentax K5 for a big trip I was taking. I got back recently and I've discovered many of the photos have a green-blue cast - gah!

After some thinking, I realised I must have been exploring the cameras features and must have accidentally set the Auto Fine Tune of the AWB white balance to max blue/green (B7/G7 I guess?) thinking this was how you did manual white balance and never set it back to 0.

Is there any way I can accurately correct this back to 0 in something like Photoshop?

Thanks for your advice!

Ian.

10-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you shoot in raw format? If so it's an easy one button push fix.
10-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sadly I only saved a few in RAW - how would I fix for these? Do I do it in-camera or post-processing?

Anyone any ideas for JPEG?
10-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The software supplied with your camera - Pentax Digital Camera Utility - can do wonders to fix up your WB, even in JPEGs (as others can testify).

Ideally you would have shot RAW, but JPEGs aren't a disaster.

10-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As rawr says - open the photos in the Pentax Camera Utility Software that came with the camera. On the right side there are adjustment tools - look for the white balance (WB) tools and you should see a drop down box where you can choose to adjust the photo to daylight, cloudy, etc.
10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have K-7, If not exactly the same it should at least be similar.

Auto White Balance fine tune can be achieved by going to AWB then right button -> on 4 way control the adjusting up and down and across on 4 way control or one touch on Green button.
Also check you have not changed Hue setting in any of the Image Tone settings.
10-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

any good photo editor has a color balance tool

I use PSP X4 and it's tool is quite simpe, pick any part of the subject that should be white, or a shade of grey (i.e. no tint to red, blue or green desired) and click on it, and it then corrects the whole image applying color correction to make the item picked devoid of color (neutral grey) you can then change the color temperature to add a blue or red cast to make the photo colder or warmer as you wish.

this works even on jpeg, but my experience is that the result always turns out too cold (high color temperature) so I often warm the results a little by reducing color temperature

10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
Brilliant! Hadn't explored Pentax Digital Camera Utility and looks like that will fix it up. Seems incredibly slow on my recent Mac, but I'm just glad to be able to recover my photos from my mishap!

Thanks everyone for your advice.
10-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I was really disappointed with the JPEG artefacts and noise generated by PDCU when adjusting the white balance.

However, I've discovered iPhoto comes very close to PDCU in terms of colour correction without any noticeable artefacts/noise in the modified JPEG.