Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went the going poor route and have purchased a 5DII and K5 in the last year. I did it to use both and then sell the one I didn't use as much, but I really can't see myself parting with either. The K5 is really nice to shoot with...nice ergonomics, compact, WR, and creams the 5DII in DR if you have to lift shadows. It is an excellent outdoor/hiking DSLR and that is its true element. The 5DII definitely has the advantage in resolution and has the bigger viewfinder and allows you to get that thin depth of field, though its build quality does not seem up to the K5.

Also, the K5 gives me a warm happy feeling that my more stodgy 5DII just doesn't give me. There was some love that went into making the K5 for sure.

I'll be curious to see how the K5II fares. I'm not interested in buying one but still interested in how it shapes up.

10-16-2012, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
P.S.
I think that many photographers return to this forum because of the community!
That is one of the reasons that keeps me with Pentax.

Last edited by yurko_yr; 10-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #33

I recently attended a photography show in Toronto and hung out with the people at the Pentax booth (they even recognized me from the previous show!). In conversation with some of the reps there, they mentioned to me a couple of things about the FF future (and did hint about it coming).

When you think about Pentax and some of it's key selling points. They mentioned that small size, tough and rugged body were both integral design aspects of a possible new FF camera. They have invested heavily in APS-C because image quality is advancing steadily in this format. It also supports their small size and rugged body KSPs.

Once Pentax feels that they have developed a FF camera that is small enough with a good body it will be released at the appropriate time. IBIS may be part of the solution to solving this puzzle, but it wasn't expressely said that it was a main issue. Pentax really talked up the portability of the camera, so I think above all this is the bottle neck, so to speak.

p.s. Here's a picture of me with the new 560mm lens! I was asking about it's design, and again, weight was an important factor in it's design according to the reps. It is very light for such a long focal length, and much of that has to do with the design in comparison to other types of telephoto lenses. When asked, the Canadian MSRP will be "around $7000".

I got to handle the K-5IIs and the focusing is faster than the K-5 from my unscientific testing. It feels closer to 5dMKII focus speeds than regular K-5 speeds. Low light focusing seemed very accurate as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save any shots on a memory card to take home as both models tried were pre-production.

I also handled the new 645 lens and it's quite a tank. Asked to try some photos with the lens as well. I could handle and try the lens, but no files allowed either.

Oh, and here's a K5 pentaprism! No mirror boxes here

sorry about the 'instagrammed' quality
10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
IBIS may be part of the solution to solving this puzzle, but it wasn't expressely said that it was a main issue. Pentax really talked up the portability of the camera, so I think above all this is the bottle neck, so to speak.
I know a solution: No mirror and a new mount...

10-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I know a solution: No mirror and a new mount...
An improved version of your solution:

No mirror, a new mount WITH a provided K mount adapter..
10-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
An improved version of your solution:

No mirror, a new mount WITH a provided K mount adapter..
Ah yes, that goes without saying.

And a line of adapters for off-brand lens mounts perhaps. Yes, that would eat at lens sales, but Pentax repetatively stated that there is no profit in lens sales. It would bring users from other brands to Pentax though.
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And a line of adapters for off-brand lens mounts perhaps. Yes, that would eat at lens sales, but Pentax repetatively stated that there is no profit in lens sales. It would bring users from other brands to Pentax though.
Actually, I think one of the reason the Sony NEX are so popular in spite of a not so impressive E-mount catalog, is because they can use a good amount of off-brand lenses, and especially Leica.

10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Actually, I think one of the reason the Sony NEX are so popular in spite of a not so impressive E-mount catalog, is because they can use a good amount of off-brand lenses, and especially Leica.
Yes, in Pentax case, it would enable people from the big brands to get into Pentax, without having to take the big bump of switching their full lens line up. Meanwhile, Pentax doesn't have to go bankrupt whilst developing complete FF line up, they can do that afterwards, when everybody fell in love with their new camera and are demanding new lenses.
10-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
To begin with, as I understand Pentax lenses can be used on Canon bodies by means of adapter. On the other hand, there is much photo life outside of Pentax world.
Yeah, I have seen people using the 43mm limited on the 5D with an adapter, but what about the AF functionality? If I can only use the lens with manual focus, then, am I gaining something?
10-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yeah, I have seen people using the 43mm limited on the 5D with an adapter, but what about the AF functionality? If I can only use the lens with manual focus, then, am I gaining something?
You're gaining twice the sensor size, if you put it on a 5D for example. Something lots of people will give AF up for in a split second.
10-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You're gaining FF sensor. You're loosing AF. Whether it is worth it - it is your call.
02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #42

I don't even have a Pentax and I come to these forums. I've never owned one either. :O lol. I like to read what you guys have to say. People have been so mean to me in other photo forums, and I don't notice people being mean in this forum.

Pentax has everything to make it the perfect system, and the only thing that keeps me from buying a camera is video quality. I'm not convinced by it. I'm so tempted to buy a Pentax K-5 ii right now at a very good price, but I have to sell my Olympus OM-D E-M5 to buy it. I've been thinking about selling the OM-D to buy a Canon for video quality, but I don't like their IQ on the rebel cameras. I would have to buy the 6D for good high ISO performance, but it's expensive. The OM-D does have very good quality for the sensor it has though, and IBIS is amazing.
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
I don't even have a Pentax and I come to these forums. I've never owned one either. :O lol. I like to read what you guys have to say. People have been so mean to me in other photo forums, and I don't notice people being mean in this forum.

Pentax has everything to make it the perfect system, and the only thing that keeps me from buying a camera is video quality. I'm not convinced by it. I'm so tempted to buy a Pentax K-5 ii right now at a very good price, but I have to sell my Olympus OM-D E-M5 to buy it. I've been thinking about selling the OM-D to buy a Canon for video quality, but I don't like their IQ on the rebel cameras. I would have to buy the 6D for good high ISO performance, but it's expensive. The OM-D does have very good quality for the sensor it has though, and IBIS is amazing.
It's ok, we'll have to start being mean to you now
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #44

Oh no! hahah. I wish I could try the Pentax K-5 ii at the store to see if I like how it feels on my hands.
02-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If only Pentax introduced a K-5ii style DSLR with video quality on par with a Canon 7D or something...