Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 IIs featured on pentax.jp - why not for the rest of the world?

Hi everyone

Would hate to waste anybody's time in case you already noticed, but I wanted to share my surprise to find the new K-5 IIs featured fairly extensively on Pentax's Japanese website:

K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

From my limited grasp of Japanese (none! ), I gather that the information presented there, while lacking the depth of the special feature on the venerable K-7 (still online!), goes way beyond what Pentaxians elsewhere on the planet are given by their regional Pentax sites (checked pentax.de, pentax.co.uk, pentax.fr, pentaximaging.com). Though the image samples in the Japanese feature cannot be enlarged, there seems to be a wealth of interesting illustrations and diagrams which I would love to see with captions and explanations in a language I can READ!

Now, does Pentax care to actually sell any copies of the new model outside Japan, or is this just another example of their wacky marketing?

Perhaps one must be more patient, but meanwhile Canikon seem to be already selling their new Photokina models in scores ...

10-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Naturally the HQ website usually gets the info first. The regional Pentaxes will eventually catch-up with their websites, like they have done in the past. Patience.

Ditto with stock availability. They said October, and October isn't even over yet.
10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's on the USA website as well, although I haven't checked any other countries.
10-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this a few minutes ago: Digital SLR Cameras - DSLR Cameras - PENTAX Cameras

JP

10-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Hi everyone

Would hate to waste anybody's time in case you already noticed, but I wanted to share my surprise to find the new K-5 IIs featured fairly extensively on Pentax's Japanese website:

K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

From my limited grasp of Japanese (none! )
Did you try feeding it through Google translate?

Google Translate
10-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, thanks for everone's suggestions (and consolations ).

QuoteQuote:
Did you try feeding it through Google translate?
As a language teacher, forgive me for being not so hot about machine translation, as it tends to produce so much ... garb... I mean garbled speech. That said, however, I just tried it and it certainly gives you a much better idea of the original sense than the untranslated Japanese. Appreciate that.

The main points I was trying to make were:
  1. It's painful to watch how (subjectively) slow Pentax is to get useful material out to its international customers, even though the K-5 IIs does already appear on their regional websites.
  2. Given the (at face value!) "incremental" improvements over the old K-5, it might make sense to put some effort in really CONVINCING people out there why the K-5 IIs is such a way better camera they will want to buy. Years ago, they put up dedicated websites for the then-new K-7, even one in German. If you want to sell cameras, it's probably a good thing to get the word out even BEFORE the product hits the shelves, so that people are looking forward to it.
But, yes, maybe it's just a matter of patience, Pentax being in a difficult process of transition since the buy-up by Ricoh, etc. IMHO that just doesn't seem to be the way to expand Pentax's international market share ...