Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hot K-5 means louder shutter?

JUst did some shooting yesterday on a very hot day (38 dec C or more in the shade) at the local agricultural show.

Shooting in the late afternoon I noticed that after a few hours of use the camera shutter sound was 'louder', more like the K-x than hushed like the K-5 normally is. After night fell and things cooled down a lot, including the camera, the shutter returned to being its usual quiet self.

Everything worked fine, all the images were OK and I never stopped shooting, so no problems or complaints. But it left me curious about why. At home, after checking the EXIF of a sample of shots, the camera body temperature was ranging 30 - 42 deg C, possibly higher, which means for much of the day the K-5 was operating outside of its spec temperature range of −10 to 40 °C.

My guess is that sustained use in hot conditions generated internal heat, which produced some minute changes in the physical tolerances or properties of the camera internals (a tiny expansion or softening of some shutter-box components, including the mirror dampening bits?). Hence the temporarily different acoustics.

Anyone with similar experiences?

10-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
JUst did some shooting yesterday on a very hot day (38 dec C or more in the shade) at the local agricultural show.

Shooting in the late afternoon I noticed that after a few hours of use the camera shutter sound was 'louder', more like the K-x than hushed like the K-5 normally is. After night fell and things cooled down a lot, including the camera, the shutter returned to being its usual quiet self.

Everything worked fine, all the images were OK etc, so no problems or complaints. But it left me curious about why. At home, after checking the EXIF of a sample of shots, the camera body temperature was ranging 30 - 42 deg C, possibly sometimes higher, which means for much of the day the K-5 was operating outside of its spec temperature range of −10 to 40 °C.

My guess is that sustained use in hot conditions generated internal heat, which produced some minute changes in the physical tolerances or properties of the camera internals (a tiny expansion or softening of some shutter-box components, including the mirror dampening bits?). Hence the temporarily different acoustics.

Anyone with similar experiences?
I believe you are the first to notice this behavior, very interesting observation and worth noting.
10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
very interesting observation and worth noting
Thanks. Everything kept working fine. In fact the camera worked more efficiently in the heat than I did, that's for sure.
10-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I notice the shutter noise is different depending on shutter speed. If it is very fast, 1/2000 and up, it clunks.

10-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I notice the shutter noise is different depending on shutter speed. If it is very fast, 1/2000 and up, it clunks.
Same observation here.
10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Newer noticed any change in sound in hot (like in Asia) and cold (like in winter Finland)

shutter speed effect not also noticed...i will try to check this later today.
10-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, I don't know. I did use my K-5's in hot temperatures and got them warmed up to 42 degrees C, but didn't pay any notion to the shuttersound at the time.

10-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was just a curiosity to me. Everything worked fine, and still does.

Most of the shutter speeds were pretty slow when I had the camera running hot - less than 1/250.

Aside from the heat, maybe the lens in use at the time the shutter noise seemed loudest also contributed - a Tamron 17-50 2.8. Perhaps some lenses simply help muffle the shutter/mirror noise better than others?

So many inconsequential, geeky things to obsess about and ponder
10-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't noticed any change in shutter sound when shooting in 39-45 deg C this summer. Even if it was a bit louder, it surely wasn't as loud and clunky as K-m shutter sound.
10-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hmm, just an educated guess. If it was so hot, it must have been very bright as well. That means high shutter speed and that sounds different.