Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Alex, if there's any way you can repeat the horizontal shot with the camera upside down, that will probably tell you if the actual center focus spot is really below center.

Alternately (and easier!) -- maybe you can use a rigid item with fine detail that can be propped with top toward the back (as in the shots you've taken) and also with the top toward the camera (image taken looking from underneath). If you get front-focus in the first case but back-focus in the second case then it would confirm misplacement of the center AF spot.
I will ask the guy at the repair shop to try this.

10-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Alex, if there's any way you can repeat the horizontal shot with the camera upside down, that will probably tell you if the actual center focus spot is really below center.

Alternately (and easier!) -- maybe you can use a rigid item with fine detail that can be propped with top toward the back (as in the shots you've taken) and also with the top toward the camera (image taken looking from underneath). If you get front-focus in the first case but back-focus in the second case then it would confirm misplacement of the center AF spot.
I asked the repair guy and he did the horizontal shot with the camera upside down. The picture still shows similar front-focusing. So I guess we can rule out the possibility that focus spot has shifted from the center.

I am running out of guesses. Any help would be appreciated.
10-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure those last two shots are definitely too far away from the focus chart for the camera to pick out the intended target.
10-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may need to send the K5 to service.
I had the same problem, serviced, changed AF block. Since mine had freeze and other issues, they changed main board as well.
Returned completely new different.

10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You may need to send the K5 to service.
I had the same problem, serviced, changed AF block. Since mine had freeze and other issues, they changed main board as well.
Returned completely new different.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like this is a problem that can only be solved by Pentax service.
10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I'm pretty sure those last two shots are definitely too far away from the focus chart for the camera to pick out the intended target.
I agree. The test instruction says it is to be conducted at very slightly beyond minimum focus distance.
10-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree. The test instruction says it is to be conducted at very slightly beyond minimum focus distance.
I tried focusing on real targets too and the front and back focusing is pretty severe. Meanwhile my K-r showed no focusing problem with the same real targets, focus chart and lenses. So I am not sure it is the focusing distance that is causing the problem.

10-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Zhang Quote
I tried focusing on real targets too and the front and back focusing is pretty severe. Meanwhile my K-r showed no focusing problem with the same real targets, focus chart and lenses. So I am not sure it is the focusing distance that is causing the problem.
I don't doubt that you have a focussing issue. I was simply agreeing that you did not use the chart properly.